584,837 active members*
5,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Axis amp replaced - now I get strange sound from axis motor

Axis amp replaced - now I get strange sound from axis motor

Hey there,

Just replaced x axis ampon my VMC15xt (the old one was amc, the new one is glentek), everything works, I get some kind of sound from the axis motor (to me it sounds like a water running through some pipe). The noise is present as soon as I power up the machine, no matter if I move the axis or not.

Haven't try any machining yet.

My guess is it has something to do with those little pots, and tunning the amp. Any advices? Anybody has some kind of procedure? Thanks a lot, guys, you helped me a lot up to this point.

Re: Axis amp replaced - now I get strange sound from axis motor

Do a Google search for "fadal axis ballance program "
    I found a pdf that has the factory service programs. You'll have to scroll through to find the one you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltdrive View Post
    I found a pdf that has the factory service programs. You'll have to scroll through to find the one you need.
    Thanks, man.

Already had that pdf - found very quickly what you suggested.

It turns out I already have most of the needed documents - only I don't know what is usefull and what do others use in work.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltdrive View Post
    I bought the amp from K-mac parts, i think that was your advice in one of previous posts. Thanks for that, they were very professional, and the amp works. I just need to tune it a little bit. Thanks for making me better at understanding my machine and keeping me going when I hit the problem.

Re: Axis amp replaced - now I get strange sound from axis motor

I'm glad that I could help.
    I really like the fadals and I think the DC machines runs smoother than the later AC drives.

I switch between 3 different A axis drives and reballancing the amp is part of it.
    Balancing the other axis are basically the same.
    I have 3 fadals as well and the amps arent identical. Some are more clearly marked.

You'll need to adjust the sig. and bal pots to what the service program says.

I like using a volt meter between pins 2 & 3 on one machine and on the other machine I go to ground and it's either lead 2 or 3. I don't know because the wires aren't labeled as the other.