584,874 active members*
5,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Question Homing with proximity and encoder pulse

Hi,

To increase accuracy i´m thinking of using both proximity sensors and the encoder pulse.
    I have UC300ETH card and controls it through UCCNC. The encoder of my servo is able to send a pulse at origin point every rotation.

My idea is to home firstly to the proximity sensor at a determined speed and when hit the axis backsoff at a slow speed until the encoder pulse is hit.

That would make a really accurate system. Whats your thoughts?

Does anyone know how i can edit the home sequence in uccnc?

Re: Homing with proximity and encoder pulse

I don't think the homing is accessible in UCCNC, so it may not be possible.

There used to be a commercially available board to accept both signals and send the appropriate signal to the software, to allow this in Mach3 back in the day.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There is a MACRO solution to that function in UCCNC. You might want to ask about it over at the UCCNC Forum.

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    There is a MACRO solution to that function in UCCNC. You might want to ask about it over at the UCCNC Forum.

(;-) TP
    I can´t seem to find that macro on the Uccnc forum. There is a thread about smart home but it seems to not cover the "back off to index pulse" part.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatanw View Post
    I can´t seem to find that macro on the Uccnc forum. There is a thread about smart home but it seems to not cover the "back off to index pulse" part.

Unfortunately, someone deleted all of their posts there, which made a lot of the macro threads there useless.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You can also do a messy wiring where you pass the encoder signal through a switch, then feed it into the breakout board.

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatanw View Post
    Hi,

To increase accuracy i´m thinking of using both proximity sensors and the encoder pulse.
    I have UC300ETH card and controls it through UCCNC. The encoder of my servo is able to send a pulse at origin point every rotation.

My idea is to home firstly to the proximity sensor at a determined speed and when hit the axis backsoff at a slow speed until the encoder pulse is hit.

That would make a really accurate system. Whats your thoughts?

Does anyone know how i can edit the home sequence in uccnc?
    Even if you could you would not use both The Encoder index Pulse is the most accurate, if your control does not support Encoder feed back, then that is not going to happen, so you would use just the Proximity switch for Homing, and that is normally ok for most users, your work X0 Y0 Z tool zero work offsets are what controls your cut part accuracy
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Even if you could you would not use both The Encoder index Pulse is the most accurate, if your control does not support Encoder feed back, then that is not going to happen, so you would use just the Proximity switch for Homing, and that is normally ok for most users, your work X0 Y0 Z tool zero work offsets are what controls your cut part accuracy
    Mach3 and UCCNC does not support encoder feedback to the control, but you can still do homing to an index, but you need to code the logic yourself.
    You can for example home to the home switch and then change the home pin to the index input using code and home again to that. You can do all this in mach3 and uccnc too with scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Mach3 and UCCNC does not support encoder feedback to the control, but you can still do homing to an index, but you need to code the logic yourself.
    You can for example home to the home switch and then change the home pin to the index input using code and home again to that. You can do all this in mach3 and uccnc too with scripts.
    Keep dreaming you need the control to have completed control of the Encoder and servo motor to do it correctly, software alone is not going to do it
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Keep dreaming you need the control to have completed control of the Encoder and servo motor to do it correctly, software alone is not going to do it
    It's simple reality that it can be done. It is you who's a dreamer. It's just nonsense that you need control over the full encoder.
    You have control over the servo motor (it is called step/dir interface) and you can have control over the encoder index, you just need to input it into the motion controller, the rest can be done in user macro code as I have described it.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    It's simple reality that it can be done. It is you who's a dreamer. It's just nonsense that you need control over the full encoder.
    You have control over the servo motor (it is called step/dir interface) and you can have control over the encoder index, you just need to input it into the motion controller, the rest can be done in user macro code as I have described it.
    As I said just post a video of you doing this so others can see and try to achieve the same thing, to do it how it is normally done you have to close the servo loop either in the Drive or the Control and then it is just a regular homing routine
    Mactec54

Hiya MACTEC. You use teh proximity switch position to get you into position to do teh encoder index homing. I did it in Mach3 and UCCNC with a simple macro solution.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Hiya MACTEC. You use teh proximity switch position to get you into position to do teh encoder index homing. I did it in Mach3 and UCCNC with a simple macro solution.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
    Any chance i can have a look at the macro you used and see if that can be applied to my machine to?

I have not created any macro yet so i don´t really know where to start.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
    Yes that's the normal way it is done the axes hits the Homing Switch Proximity or what ever, and then backs up to find the Encoder Z Pulse ( Encoder index Pulse )

But if the Control can't read or have Encoder feed back connection, there is no point even with a Macro
    Mactec54

Actually both Mach3 and UCCNC support a FORM of encoder feedback. You can use encoders to track position of an axis and it is displayed in both controllers. IF you start out homing teh axis accurately then zero teh encoder counts you can always return back to Machine Zero based on the encoder counts and rezero teh Machine Home position if needed.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

HI Mactec, Both Mach3 and UCCNC have an encoder feedback function for axis tracking.

(;-) TP

HI Mactec, Both Mach3 and UCCNC have an encoder feedback function for axis tracking.

(;-) TP
    Correct, but no control of the servo motor or encoder, so can't control or position it correctly as needed for a true Index pulse positioning, it would have to have in the software similar to rigid tapping or Threading control, where the control is controlling the Encoder position and the Axes motor at the same time
    Mactec54

Hi Johnatan, DID you ask about it like I suggested ?? I do not see your post if you did.

(;-) TP

Hi Johnatan, DID you ask about it like I suggested ?? I do not see your post if you did.

(;-) TP
    Yes, could you send me the macro you used with ÚCCNC. I have not programmed a macro before and don´t really know where to start.

True but that is not needed to do an encoder index homing. It can be done via a macro to manipulate teh homing process. It really is a fairly simple process. As OlfCNC mentioned ,You would using a macro to home the axis via teh home switch. Then by scripting switch teh homing signal to the encoder index signal port and also reverse teh direction of homing AND slow down teh velocity of homing so you do NOT overrun teh index signal as it is VERY short. Now you would home again to the index signal. When that is done you are homed and then the macro switches the homing function back to teh default homing signal and reset the Homing velocity.

(;-) TP

Page 1 of 2 12