584,879 active members*
5,240 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Help required producing usable Gcode files for CNC engraver
Page 3 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    QCad User Reference Manual - Points

I don't use QCAD but it looks interesting.

I use SimplyCam for most works. Not only can you draw your parts but you can generate G-Code tool paths for many targets (see above), run a speed-controlled simulator (as well as single step), view your objects in a 3D presentation. You can also import G-Code to get it to draw what the object looks like via the simulator.

It also has a GRBL control inbuilt.
    Thanks, I had not come across SimplyCad before, it certainly looks like it's worth a look. That may also relieve my issues on other fronts, though I have to say CadBam also looks worth the money.

I'm currently visiting my family in the UK where I am also picking up a load of stuff bought on Amazon that can't be sent to Hungary for some inexplicable reason, but it includes some bits and bobs in pursuit of this topic. When I get back I will be investigating

Cheers

Les

Re: Help required producing usable Gcode files for CNC engraver

I've purchased my CamBam license and waiting for the licence code to come through, but in the meantime I have been playing with it and using the points to generate the drilling positions now that I'm more accustomed to Qcad (which I have to say I am liking more and more, apart from a couple of minor issues).

If you look at the CamBam screenshot, you can see that CamBam appears to be locating the holes via the points and allocating a toolpath accordingly. The left side of the screen are the settings I am using to produce the gcode. However the out put generates what you see in the UGS visualisation screen (second screenshot), which as you can see bears no resemblance to the original. I tried to run it just in case the visualisation was wrong, but it is just garbage, errors at every line. I've included the .cb file used to generate the .nc file. This was produced on a different PC to before to make sure it wasn't an issue with the CamBam installation

What am I doing wrong?

****Edit****

Received the license, tried it again with the same results, so it must be something wrong with my file or setup

Cheers

Les
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAMBAM drilling trial UGC gcode output.jpg   CAMBAM drilling trial.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I looked at your .cb file. The tool path looks fine. Try this: Set Depth Increment = 1.8, Hole Diameter = 0.0605, Drilling Method = Spiral Mill (CW)

This will force it into using all G1 moves and eliminate using the Canned Cycle which uses G81 hole drilling. Sometimes you need to fool the post processor into doing what you want.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks, I will give that a go

Out of pure frustration last night I tried to drill by making pockets 0.9mm diameter using a 0.8mm milling cutter, and it worked, much to my surprise. I'm beginning to think that UGS simply doesn't work with the drilling function, which is a surprising omission considering what a basic function it is. Of course, I proceeded to snap my one and only 0.8mm cutter on a poorly based clamp, but at least I know that there is a workaround. I will still give the spiral mill method a go, I assume it is similar to the pocket method

Cheers

Les

Quote Originally Posted by lesthegringo View Post
    Thanks, I will give that a go

Out of pure frustration last night I tried to drill by making pockets 0.9mm diameter using a 0.8mm milling cutter, and it worked, much to my surprise. I'm beginning to think that UGS simply doesn't work with the drilling function, which is a surprising omission considering what a basic function it is. Of course, I proceeded to snap my one and only 0.8mm cutter on a poorly based clamp, but at least I know that there is a workaround. I will still give the spiral mill method a go, I assume it is similar to the pocket method

Cheers

Les
    Does not woodpecker board grbl1.1 ? It does not know drill cycles g81 and UGS does not translate. And the 1000 in firmware is just rhe max speed not actual rpm uses 1 to 1000 steps min to max

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 123