Guys, I have made a CNC engraver that I plan to use to produce fascia panels in MDF for some homemade gaming rigs, plus later use in conjuction with a 25w laser to cut MDF panels for some bits for construction of consoles etc. It works great, I'm using Universal G-Code sender and with some test gcode files I downloaded from the internet have checked it out and calibrated it.

My problem comes when I try and port my own designs to it. I have Autosketch, where I can produce exactly what I want and eport to a .dxf file. I have Qcad, which allows me to convert that to a .svg file. Using Inkscape I then convert that to g-code. Or at least that's the theory.#

in practice the conversion to g-code simply doesn't work. It always comes up with errors, and if it saves the file at all (50% of the time max), the G-code is not useable and it fails to work on the CNC engraver. To test which bit of it was the problem, I opened a new document in Inkscape, drew 1 single circle on it, then followed the process where you convert objects to paths, and finally converted it to g-code - but it comes back with errors. With one simple geometrical shape.

The files I want to engrave are not extravagant and I am so close but the failure of this last step has completely stymied me. For the sake of the last percent, all the rest is worthless.

I've attached (or at least I think I have!) a .dxf file that I was trying to use as a test. You can't see the .svg file produced from it as it's not an allowed file type. When I tried to save it as g-code this was the error I got 'Drawing out of range: [5.000000054166666, -10.00000009774999] [125.00000003124998, 89.99999992725] No points.'

At least, that was the error that time.....

I need a reliable way to turn my files to g-code otherwise my whole lot of work is a waste, so if anyone can help me I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks

Les