584,866 active members*
5,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting started eCommerce

Hello everyone,

Just wondering what people use as a eCommerce website or how they got started selling items on the web. I’m very new and just learning. Any recommend places to learn.

Thanks

Re: Getting started eCommerce

Ebay would be worth a look if you want a wide audience. Facebook is also useful for targeted advertising to user groups.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

It depends entirely on what you're trying to sell.

Etsy is good for things that "normal people" look at.

Ebay is fine for "let's agree on what I will send you and how much money you will send me" for standard things, but modification requests are tough on their platform, because scammy purchasers may use the return policies against you. Also, you will be competing with the lowst-cost sellers across the world, so it's hard to make the case for your own value and pricing there.

To get better recommendations, you might want to be more specific in what you want to do. Do you want to find buyers of whatever you're selling? Are you selling "things" or "services"? Or do you want to manage ordering, fulfillment, and billing? Or do you want to manage the manufacturing flow (designs/revisions/drawings/...)? There's very different systems for these different needs, and if you need to BOTH reach people (marketing) AND deal with payments AND deal with design/revision, you may need three different systems.

One example of someone who solved the platform is https://www.xometry.com/ -- you can presumably actually sign up as a "provider" on that platform, and they'll send work your way if they have it and it matches your capabilities. Might be interesting to look around, just to learn what's out there.

I created a PayPal business account, use GoDaddy to build my website and all payments go through PayPal. It's simple but works.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Ebay short term is OK, if its on there long term our asian friends will copy it and put it back on ebay for less than your material cost, I know of several folks this has happened to, I make a few RC car parts and the guy wont sell on Ebay, just word of mouth for that exact reason............
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Ebay short term is OK, if its on there long term our asian friends will copy it and put it back on ebay for less than your material cost, I know of several folks this has happened to, I make a few RC car parts and the guy wont sell on Ebay, just word of mouth for that exact reason............
    I think your right with the coping thing. Yes it is a RC product. I might just start by word of mouth and see from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    It depends entirely on what you're trying to sell.

Etsy is good for things that "normal people" look at.

Ebay is fine for "let's agree on what I will send you and how much money you will send me" for standard things, but modification requests are tough on their platform, because scammy purchasers may use the return policies against you. Also, you will be competing with the lowst-cost sellers across the world, so it's hard to make the case for your own value and pricing there.

To get better recommendations, you might want to be more specific in what you want to do. Do you want to find buyers of whatever you're selling? Are you selling "things" or "services"? Or do you want to manage ordering, fulfillment, and billing? Or do you want to manage the manufacturing flow (designs/revisions/drawings/...)? There's very different systems for these different needs, and if you need to BOTH reach people (marketing) AND deal with payments AND deal with design/revision, you may need three different systems.

One example of someone who solved the platform is https://www.xometry.com/ -- you can presumably actually sign up as a "provider" on that platform, and they'll send work your way if they have it and it matches your capabilities. Might be interesting to look around, just to learn what's out there.
    Selling things not service. I don't mind doing all of it (I think LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I created a PayPal business account, use GoDaddy to build my website and all payments go through PayPal. It's simple but works.
    I'm going to look into that to. I don't want to spend a ton of money, not even sure how sales are going to be.

ecommerce is not just a simple exercise. It takes, time, money and effort for it to work for you well. I thought I knew a bit about it after running one for 10 years then I went to a ecommerce conference and found out I knew Jack Sh!t! Shopify is probably the leading platform globally. I use a system called neto which is Aussie based but establishing in the US. Its strength is the integrations in the back end to freight companies and to platforms like ebay and Amazon. Marketplaces are a big thing so your products are pushed to ebay and amazon etc and the sales come back in and you fulfil from your back end which in turn integrates with your accounting and payment gateways. Problem with market places is that you don't own the customer. Buy now pay later are big winners so you need to offer them too. You need to have good SEO adn site structure to keep Google happy and you must have instant messaging (I use Facebook Messenger via a product called Chatfuel) You also need a CRM and email list management system that has automated email sequences for things like abandoned carts, nurture series, onboarding etc. You also need to do advertising on say facebook (and we are not talking about boosted posts but properly structured ads in Facebook Business manager) and most likely Google Shopping and Adwords. Don't forget data feeds to the Facebook Pixel and Google Analytics. Put the effort in and you do well but in my view you need a unique niche based product that is yours . So thats just a few of the basics and what I've done to grow my business 10 fold over the last 3 years and I've only scratched the surface.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I did the same thing.
    A website will only cost you $15/month (as long as you design it yourself).

Set up your site, and spread the word in all the RC forums.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Everything RodW says is a technique that competitors use to get front and center of consumers. If you're not doing this, then the competitors will likely do better than you, but that doesn't mean that all of those things are necessary to do OKAY on your own.
    Especially if your business is a side business, or you have a very niche product that nobody else provides, then you can probably build a sustaining small business with much fewer bells and whistles.
    Separately, if you are a "job shop" or sell to specific companies, rather than fickle consumers, then different rules apply as well. Most business buyers don't actually look on Facebook for the best widget for their needs...

If you're selling items that you will keep in inventory on your site, I highly recommend using an E-commerce Store Front. The last thing you want is people placing more orders than you have inventory for (sounds like a nice problem to have, but it's a nightmare to manage).

If you want to get started for little cost, try Ecwid. Unless you have more than 10 unique products, their free service will get you going, and give you a chance to try things out. It will manage your inventory so you can't sell more than you have, and send emails to alert you to sales. You will still need to set up your website, and incorporate the store, but it's really not that difficult.

Like rodw says there's a ton to learn, but it sounds like you're just trying to get your feet wet. Take it in small bites and you'll be fine going forward...you don't have to do it all at once.

My head hurts LOL

Thank you for everyone's input, keep them coming. Trying to get production going and looking into the E-commerce stores to see which one AND working my full-time job. I will keep you posted.

One of the biggest decisions you need to make as an online business is what is your technology stack your business runs on? Now I don't know how big your business is or what you sell, but the odds are you are a manufacturer and need to build bills of materials for your products so they are costed out and you track everything in inventory. I think/Xero that when I adopted an inventory management system, I had to add about 90 products before I created my first sellable product. So with that in mind, DEAR Inventory is the standout performer. So Shopify/DEAR Inventory/Xero and you are set. But start with DEAR and Xero, if you are wholesaling, that might be all you need as it has a B2B portal for your customers.

Respectfully, this forum is not the place to get advice about ecommerce. I'm sure here are other forums that would be more focussed on the topic.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

You should pay attention to Chinese dealers

Suppose you want to get started in e-commerce, in my opinion.

you can find a lot of great ecommerce forums and communities online to start connecting with people who are also trying to make a living online

thanks for sharing

I am skeptical about these earnings. Many people lost all their savings during the pandemic. It is very hard to anticipate.