584,865 active members*
4,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 14 1234513

Re: Spindle Recommendation

Thanks again for sharing your personal preference on grounding best practices. My take on this: I Will use clamps or grounding leads where possible. Not stressing too much about it because at the end of the day, both practices mentioned will work.

I did a quick google search for EMD cable clamps and they are not widely available. They seem to be mostly used in industrial settings. The one supplier charge $8.50 CAD per clamp and $10 for handling. Price seems elevated for only 8 clamps that I need. I will buy a copper sheet and cut some strips to create my own EMD clamp. I will try and use the DIY clamp or collar where possible because I had those fragile grounding leads break on me before; I know I have fat stupid hands. Using the clamp will be faster than soldering the grounding lead as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Par View Post
    Thanks again for sharing your personal preference on grounding best practices. My take on this: I Will use clamps or grounding leads where possible. Not stressing too much about it because at the end of the day, both practices mentioned will work.

I did a quick google search for EMD cable clamps and they are not widely available. They seem to be mostly used in industrial settings. The one supplier charge $8.50 CAD per clamp and $10 for handling. Price seems elevated for only 8 clamps that I need. I will buy a copper sheet and cut some strips to create my own EMD clamp. I will try and use the DIY clamp or collar where possible because I had those fragile grounding leads break on me before; I know I have fat stupid hands. Using the clamp will be faster than soldering the grounding lead as well.
    Yes that is correct. The clamps are far faster than the soldering the braid and drain wire as I described above. Most DIY builders do not have the money to pay for those expensive special clamps thats why the way I used is more popular. The important thing is get it all grounded and you will not have issues. You might look into copper clamps used for water lines or copper plumbers strap to make your own out of. Just make sure they are copper, take a magnet along to make sure they are not copper plated steel. I have no issues with my machine at all and I have ran 8 - 10 hour jobs.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Par View Post

You are working with industrial equipment and have to be wired and set up the same as they would be in an industrial environment

You don't have to solder anything there is no need

You can go to your local hardware store and get the clamps you need, you can even make your own from a piece of copper or find a copper saddle, the spring clips are at hardware stores you just have to get creative and find them they won't be the same as what I posted but as lone as the snap around the braid and are tight that is all you need

You can even use plastic cable clamps and use copper foil tape to make them look like in the snips below

The EMF hardware you can buy are mostly made from spring steel it does not have to be copper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EMI Copper Tape.PNG  
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Most DIY builders do not have the money to pay for those expensive special clamps thats why the way I used is more popular.
    No it is not popular at all, its only in your mind, Most hobby user's no better than to do it this way already
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes they are junk and do not work well nobody should buy a 120V 3ph spindle of any size range, these are just made for the newbies that buy them because they don't know any better
    I'm afraid that I'm one of those newbies that didn't know any better. I bought one of those rated for 110V 2.2kw spindles like this one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-2k...AbTest=ae803_4

I can't return it because it's been over a year since the initial purchase. I planned on installing it this spring.
    I decided on this water cooled spindle because I don't like the noise or the dust getting blown around from an air cooled setup like a router.

What would now be my best solution to get the most out of my poor selection? Is it the VFD, Spindle, or both the problem?
    Is there a way to reprogram or modify/change the setup to get 240V performance from what I now have and basically stuck with?

When I asked the seller about the performance difference between the 110V and 220V, they of course told me similar because they said the VFD controls the motor, not the initial input voltage. They also told me that the 220V VFD version is fed on 1 line (like UK) instead of 2 110V lines like our system does. I don't have a background that would help me know any better.

Threre you go again Mactec So answer my question above. Where does RF or EMI go when its inside a grounded metal enclosure?

i got 2x110 in the shop
    no 220 single line

i can not say anyone should follow it i just posting it

R and S are live
    T neutral plus i using ground from a ground rod

it working for me

drive is a sunfar 1.5 kw

I've spent hours googling for cable clamps to "do it the right away". Found manufacturers, but I am yet to actually find a decent source, particularly at a reasonable price.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    I've spent hours googling for cable clamps to "do it the right away". Found manufacturers, but I am yet to actually find a decent source, particularly at a reasonable price.
    I really would not lose any sleep over it the solder the braid and drain wire or crimp will work just fine. I have been doing this stuff way to long and never had a issue. You can make those little clamps if you prefer, just make sure you use a good conductor like copper.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

I think simple cable clamps should work
    I just bought for 2 bux some clamps running wire on wall
    metal clamps

15 pieces for 2-3 dollar

another kind for 60 cent
    the reason for high cost is because its german..
    they should stop floding the world with their overengineered crap

https://www.ladedanlar.com/erico-sc4...snap-clip-9485

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Pal View Post
    I'm afraid that I'm one of those newbies that didn't know any better. I bought one of those rated for 110V 2.2kw spindles like this one:

I can't return it because it's been over a year since the initial purchase. I planned on installing it this spring.
    I decided on this water cooled spindle because I don't like the noise or the dust getting blown around from an air cooled setup like a router.

What would now be my best solution to get the most out of my poor selection? Is it the VFD, Spindle, or both the problem?
    Is there a way to reprogram or modify/change the setup to get 240V performance from what I now have and basically stuck with?

When I asked the seller about the performance difference between the 110V and 220V, they of course told me similar because they said the VFD controls the motor, not the initial input voltage. They also told me that the 220V VFD version is fed on 1 line (like UK) instead of 2 110V lines like our system does. I don't have a background that would help me know any better

Well from what I can gather from your link the motor is a standard 220 volt 3 phase spindle motor. You will need to look at the nameplate or markings on the motor to confirm. The VFD since I don't have the information may be able to be feed from either 120 or 240 volts, according to the description it can be. You will need to get the documentation to check. Your UK standard 220/240 two wire it will work just fine. Your power is the same as US 220/240 volt. Only over here we can use one leg of it to the grounded conductor or neutral and its 120 volts.

So find the documentation on the VFD and double check how to connect for 240 volts and your fine. If it can not be switched to 220 volts then you need a new one rated at 220/240 volts. You will need an equipment ground or earth wire to connect to the metal housing of your motor. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Your local hardware store will have most of all you need, you can get a strip of copper or steel what ever is the easiest for you to work with, and make your own saddles or rap around cable clamps, these spring clips can be found in hardware stores look for Terry Spring Clips if you want this type
    Mactec54

When I asked the seller about the performance difference between the 110V and 220V, they of course told me similar because they said the VFD controls the motor, not the initial input voltage. They also told me that the 220V VFD version is fed on 1 line (like UK) instead of 2 110V lines like our system does. I don't have a background that would help me know any better.

It would depend what country you are in as to what voltage you would buy, If you live in NA and you have a 120v VFD Drive then there is no way to change that, to a 220/240v VFD Drive if your spindle is 2.2Kw they perform poorly when using 120v, if your spindle says it is 220v and you have a 240v supply, then you could change the VFD drive for a 220/240v 3Kw VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    i got 2x110 in the shop
    no 220 single line

i can not say anyone should follow it i just posting it

R and S are live
    T neutral plus i using ground from a ground rod

it working for me

drive is a sunfar 1.5 kw
    If you live in NA you don't use Neutral for your 240V input power connection , if you have connected a Neutral to the T terminal you need to remove it be for you mess up you VFD Drive

On your VFD Drive R and S is Hot / Live for 240v NA and Ground to the Ground Terminal any other connection would be incorrect
    Mactec54

Well from what I can gather from your link the motor is a standard 220 volt 3 phase spindle motor. You will need to look at the nameplate or markings on the motor to confirm. The VFD since I don't have the information may be able to be feed from either 120 or 240 volts, according to the description it can be. You will need to get the documentation to check. Your UK standard 220/240 two wire it will work just fine. Your power is the same as US 220/240 volt. Only over here we can use one leg of it to the grounded conductor or neutral and its 120 volts.

So find the documentation on the VFD and double check how to connect for 240 volts and your fine. If it can not be switched to 220 volts then you need a new one rated at 220/240 volts. You will need an equipment ground or earth wire to connect to the metal housing of your motor. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
    Here is what I have which now sounds like junk.

Here is what I have which now sounds like junk.

I would not even consider installing. Sorry. Since since you really have 220 volts . I would try to sell on Craigslist and get one that will work. I did not know they made 115 volt 3 phase motors.

I would not even consider installing. Sorry. Since since you really have 220 volts . I would try to sell on Craigslist and get one that will work. I did not know they made 115 volt 3 phase motors.
    The sellers who sold me this unit seem to know all about 115 volt 3 phase motors

I have the (2) 120V line = 240V service in my home.
    Will their 1 line 220 VFD work with (2)120V lines like I have?
    Would you simply connect the (2 )120V lines where they would normally connect their (1) 220V and (1) neutral wire to?

I could not feel good trying to sell this crap to someone after finding out that it's junk.
    Is anyone out there looking for a setup like this knowing that?

The sellers who sold me this unit seem to know all about 115 volt 3 phase motors

I have the (2) 120V line = 240V service in my home.
    Will their 1 line 220 VFD work with (2)120V lines like I have?
    Would you simply connect the (2 )120V lines where they would normally connect their (1) 220V and (1) neutral wire to?

I could not feel good trying to sell this crap to someone after finding out that it's junk.
    Is anyone out there looking for a setup like this knowing that?
    CNC-Pal are you in the UK?? If your in US which I do not know since you did not list your country, I had assumed your question was about UK voltages.

Since your UK standard voltage is 220 volts across the line and the center pin is for equipment Earth ground i am almost sure you can not use that safety ground to carry what would be the Neutral line voltage in this country. Legally in US following the NEC you can not use the equipment ground as a neutral. If you needed 240 volts just for the motor you would be fine. You need to check. The so the wiring going to the VFD is going to carry 23 amps at 110 volts.

But They seem to have an problem with the math involved. The motor nameplate says 110 volts at 8.5 amps, that comes out to 935 watts. Thats a long, long ways from 2.2 kW. more like a little over 1 Hp. 746 watts = one electrical Hp.

I am doing some research on your power circuits and I will let you know what I find. Well here what I have. Your incoming is 220/240 volts ok, but its two wire. One wire is Hot and the other is Neutral. The third wire is earth or equipment ground. Between the Hot and Neutral is 220/240 volts single phase 50 cycle. Thats it. You can use those two incoming wires to feed a 220 volt VFD rated for single phase and get three phase out.

So the only way for you to get 110/120 volts is to install a step down transformer capable of supplying at least 23 amps out on 110 volts. A big waster for the price of the transformer and the heavy duty wire needed.

Instead of trusting what I found on the internet I would contact your local electrician or power company. Sorry.

When I was working and we had equipment come in from Europe it was always fun hooking it up

Page 3 of 14 1234513