585,604 active members*
3,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > How to use both a tool setter and a touch probe?

How to use both a tool setter and a touch probe?

I have and use the ITTP, which is great! It's normally-closed.

I'm considering adding a shop built tool setter, in your typical insulated-plastic-sleeve tool-contacts-ground fashion. However, those are normally open.

How should I wire the accessory port to both do the ITTP and an ETS at the same time?

I happen to be decent at electronics, so I could build a "box" that had a positive and a negative input, and did the appropriate logic, but I wonder if there isn't an easier solution based on wiring only?

Re: How to use both a tool setter and a touch probe?

You cannot do it based purely on wiring - you need some electronics.

See
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Log...N-transistors/ step 7
    for a transistor OR gate. Implement with optoisolators instead., set up appropriate trigger level for each device.

My mill is a 440, and the pinout page in the manual is missing the labeling (!) but I found the labeled pinout in the 1100 manual, and it's pretty clear I can't do both at the same time without some smarts.

What does Tormach do if I buy both kinds of probes? Is there some manual about this case?

The electronics are not a problem :-)
    If I have to do something, I might as well build a micro-current comparator-based "box" for the probe, to reduce the sparking (even though the ITTP already has the contact gel to help with that.)

Circuitry to reduce the current is probably a good idea.

It is a real pain because you also need to change the settings if you use two probes and one is NO and the other is NC. Another choice is to use a NC probe for the ETS. I have https://www.ebay.ca/itm/CNC-Tool-Pre...k/401342656621 and, contrary to the description, it is NC. With that your "electronics" could be just a toggle switch to change from ITTP and the ETS or plug in the appropriate one.

I wouldn't need a toggle switch; I'd just plug them both in series (again, using a bit of wiring) and whichever one triggered, would trigger the outlet.

Gotta love that Chinesium, though: "When tool touches tool setter, light becomes off or closed."

Connecting them in series would be problematic since I believe that the ground side of the internal switches is connected to the body of the probe. Although that is the eBay number for my probe the actual unit does not match the description: mine does not have a LED and there are two switches one of which is NC and an overtravel switch which is NO. Also, the anvil on top appears to be hard anodized aluminum rather than carbide. On the other hand mine repeats to about 0.0001 or 0.0002 and for less than $100 seems a good deal.

This is what I use. Unfortunately I had not moved it over to my new mill and forgot to plug the ETS in after using the ITTP. Caused me to kill a brand new Entirely Crimson ETS less than 1 day after I got it. Just wanted to puke!

Cannot remember which one I have... will have to go look.

ETS / Active Probe Adapter

DUAL Passive Probe Adapter
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    ...Unfortunately I had not moved it over to my new mill and forgot to plug the ETS in after using the ITTP. Caused me to kill a brand new Entirely Crimson ETS less than 1 day after I got it.
    Ouch! You mean the ITTP was still plugged in?
    In such a case using only a toggle switch could become equally expensive
    The adapters are a little pricey at $100 but I'm sure they do the job.
    Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Ouch! You mean the ITTP was still plugged in?
    In such a case using only a toggle switch could become equally expensive
    The adapters are a little pricey at $100 but I'm sure they do the job.
    Step
    Yep, forgot to unplug the ITTP and plug back in the ETS. Pretty sad that I had that $100 Mill Fast box on the tool chest..... Penalty points was a $325 tool setter. Trying to dig into it and see if I can rebuild it. Entirely Crimsom said it would be toast.
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew