585,987 active members*
4,315 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PNP v/s NPN Proximity Switches

How would one wire a NC PNP Proximity switch to a controller that is designed to accept NPN style switches like the Gecko G100 or the Campbell Breakout board?
    Application is converting a Multicam router to a G100 controller using existing switches, tool changer and VFD.

Donny
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multi Cam.jpg  

Some one ripped out all the goodies of your junk CNC too!!!

-I can get X CNC machines all the time at the junk yard, but they never have any of the motors of controllers on them , and sometimes the bearing/slides are all gone too!!!??#$!!

-Yeah the npn pnp stuff, I had to change the 'pull' 'push' confidiguration of one of my controllers. The darn thing was backwards for some reason, so everyting had to be reversed (+ive for -ive)

I actually had to make up a circuit for reversing polarity (sink instead of source, or vice versa I can't rememmber)... for this you need a sepearat power supply as your new switch current, and use the existing switching signal to switch that current which is in the desired polarity.

--I know it's a b___h, but it's the only way (for fast switching anyway) ... I had to do this to all the wires (about 8) coming out of my parrallel port just so that the controller could interprete them .... the buety of it is, now my parallel port isn't sinking or sourcing anything drastic other than the switching of some tranisiotrs.

Proximity switches are very inexpensive, just change the switches out for new ones
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hi, I have never wired an Gecko G100 or Campbell Breakout board. Someone correct me if im wrong, but, pnp is sourcing, meaning it will send the plus voltage out of the black or white wires. Typically, the blue wire is hooked to your 0v (- negetive) power source, and the brown wire is hooked to the power source +v (12v or 24v) and the black wire is the normally open, so when the switch is made, the plus voltage will come out of the black, and the white wire is normally closed so it has plus voltage comming out except when the switch is made. The black and white wires should not be hooked together. On a plc that has a row of inputs and one common, if you hook the 0v to the common, you need pnp switches and if you put the plus voltage to the common, you need npn switches. If you really need npn and want to use the pnp switches you have, you just need to run a relay with the pnp switch and do the other wiring through the relay. You can buy realys cheap from automationdirect dot com. or maybe Radio Shack. dont forget to order the base. The prox switches are about $30. and relays are about $8., check them both out online at automation direct. Good Luck.