584,874 active members*
5,202 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > TB 6600 stepper driver suddenly goes out

TB 6600 stepper driver suddenly goes out

Hi everyone,
    today I finally managed to connect the three TB 6600 drivers, of my 3-axis CNC, to their respective engines and everything seemed to work best. I was so excited that I was about to load a short test g-code when the Y-axis driver suddenly went out after a few minutes of operation. Both the lights of the driver turned off, while the other two (Z and X axis) continue to operate regularly. It must be said that the driver in question is not overheated and in any case, turned off the electronics and then reignited, starts to work regularly and then go off several seconds later.
    It's as if it were self-protection .... yes, but what do you want to protect from? Could someone help me and give me directions on the possible causes of this shutdown?

Thanks to anyone who wants to give me some advice.

Re: TB 6600 stepper driver suddenly goes out

Nobody who can help me!!??

The first step would be to move the Z driver to another axis (X or Y) and see if the problem follows it.

If the driver indeed has a problem, open it up and inspect. It could be something as simple as a bad soldering joint.

Hi,
    those Toshiba 6600 stepper driver ICs have a long history of failure. The good news is.....they are cheap...the bad news is you will need a few of them,
    and that assumes you can unsolder the broken IC and solder in a new one.

You might want to consider a better quality driver setup, one of the most popular and reliable breakout board/4 axis driver combs is the G540 by Gecko.

https://www.geckodrive.com/g540-4-ax...per-drive.html

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    those Toshiba 6600 stepper driver ICs have a long history of failure.
    They typically fail permanently, not in the "works for several seconds" manner. So I would check other things before replacing the chip.

Also, to be precise, it is the Chinese engineers who have a long history of failure with the 6600 ICs.

Hi guys...then I did several tests changing the positions of the drivers, replacing them with a new one never put into operation. I double checked all the contacts and clamps, pulling them out and tightening them back in place but the problem persists. I begin to think that everything is due to the configuration of Mach3. I think I have to study the whole manual for good and see if I arrive at the end of the skein.
    If there is any other advice or idea that you would suggest I would be very happy with it.

I very much doubt that the problem you are describing has anything to do with Mach3.

So the Z axis driver completely shuts down ("Both lights turned off") after few minutes or few seconds. If you replace it with a known good driver, it does the same thing. Is that correct?

Have you tried swapping the motors (including the wiring)?

Have you measured the voltages on the faulted driver - supply voltage, enable signal, error signal (if it has one)?