584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Control power relays on CNCRP Nema 34 box?

Hybrid View

Control power relays on CNCRP Nema 34 box?

Looking at adding a laser onto the CNC machine. Would love to use a relay on the box so only to have power to the laser when I am using it. Poking around in Mach3 looking for a way to do this. Any suggestions here?

Re: Control power relays on CNCRP Nema 34 box?

I think there are outputs in Mach3 like for pump, fan or otherwise. There are two solid state relays in the CNCRP control box that feed the 120 volt outlets under the box. One is for a router the other perhaps can be used also.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I think there are outputs in Mach3 like for pump, fan or otherwise. There are two solid state relays in the CNCRP control box that feed the 120 volt outlets under the box. One is for a router the other perhaps can be used also.
    thanks, this is my understanding as well...just trying to figure out where to actually do this in mach3.

how much information do you get with the CNCRP Nema 34 box ?

none ,or full circuit diagram or even a block diagram ?

do you have a link you can post to the details of the box?

what unused outputs do you have available in Mach 3
    assuming you are using an ethernet smooth stepper an not a parallel printerport

you could use an unusd port to control the laser

one pin to provide a PWM sigal to the laser control board
    another to conrtol a relay to switch the laser power supply on and off
    possibly in conjunction with a switch

John

Just get a simple relay module from amazon and supply whatever voltage you need for your laser to the switched side and just a simple pull low (or high) to the module from your breakout board. Just keep it simple. Then just set up your ports and pins in mach. Get a couple 2 or 4 channel modules so you can turn on/off other stuff like a water pump, exhaust fan etc. It's the cheapest, easiest and most reliable way in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    Just get a simple relay module from amazon and supply whatever voltage you need for your laser to the switched side and just a simple pull low (or high) to the module from your breakout board. Just keep it simple. Then just set up your ports and pins in mach. Get a couple 2 or 4 channel modules so you can turn on/off other stuff like a water pump, exhaust fan etc. It's the cheapest, easiest and most reliable way in my opinion.

Sorry, I should have added that I sprung for the CNCRP controller box. Hurt at first because of the cost, but have been using w/ 0 issues for 2 years and no hassle....one of those things I dont regret buying now!

Plug and Play NEMA 34 CNC Control System - CRP800-00E-8 | CNCRouterParts

So I am basically just looking how to control relay 2 via mach3.

Quote Originally Posted by twopecker View Post
    Sorry, I should have added that I sprung for the CNCRP controller box. Hurt at first because of the cost, but have been using w/ 0 issues for 2 years and no hassle....one of those things I dont regret buying now!

Plug and Play NEMA 34 CNC Control System - CRP800-00E-8 | CNCRouterParts

So I am basically just looking how to control relay 2 via mach3.
    They do not have the diagram posted to my knowledge. But, I use one relay to turn on the wonder and the other is empty. They said I could put my vacuum on that.
    I cannot remember the ports off hand, but the ess runs to the BOB and uses optoisolator to interface. You could bypass the BOB and look at what's available on the ess. The diagram for that is on warp9s website.
    I think I had an email a year or so ago along about the outputs myself. I'll need to find it to post the info. But the pins set up in the xml should have both outputs set up in Mach ports and pins.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The CNCRP has its own relays and outputs. No need to add anything. Contact them and get the diagram of the outputs and how to use.

J Tech has all the info you need on interfacing diode laser to a machine. They sell the controller and diodes. I had a diode laser....once. Its kind of like watching paint dry with only 2.5 watts.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

This is the video that shows how to set up the relays. Start at 10min 10sec of the video. I just setup my CNCRP relays to start my dust collection & led light I have on my spindle.

CNC Software Setup Guide | CNCRouterParts

They are just solid state relays and the Output is whatever you Input. One is intended like you said for a 120 volt router the other is open for other uses, like you said a Dust Collector or Water Pump. You don't really care, as long as you can add something to the gcode to turn it on or off. Not sure if Solid State relays can switch DC or not, maybe just AC?

Not sure why CNCRP doesn't just tell you that Relay 1 = Port x, Pin x, and Relay 2 = port y, pin y? That's all he needs to know. Unless the preconfigured xml file already has the outputs configured?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Not sure why CNCRP doesn't just tell you that Relay 1 = Port x, Pin x, and Relay 2 = port y, pin y? That's all he needs to know. Unless the preconfigured xml file already has the outputs configured?
    I'm struggling to get the 'Flood' or 'Mist' controls working with the subject relays. Once Mach three is enabled, the relays go 'ON' and are not controlled by the buttons in the diagnostic screen.

So, I'm thinking that I may not have Ports and Pins configured correctly because Mach 3 is indicating that the relays are switching. But nothing is happening.

How do I determine which ports the relays are configured in hardware?