584,866 active members*
5,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CAD/CAM Software

Not sure if I can get this right? Can somebody help this SC find/locate a CAD/CAM or CAD software that would be suitable to begin with that has a relatively easy learning curve. For use mainly to create/draw shop & jewelry items. 2D - 3D & 4 Axis capabilities and at the same time a SC can get a handle on it. There has to be something either new or free that would be a place to start. Hope this helps? Any an all of your suggestions, assistance would be appreciated. Thank you very much. PW USAF 62-66

Re: CAD/CAM Software

vCarve (Pro) is quite popular. Not free but you can download and test without a license. Won't save your work but they have some downloadable samples you can test on your machine.

SimplyCam from MR-Soft Nc Software Tools is 2 and 2.5 D but does not directly support a 4th axis. Can import and vectorise images but they also have a package that can generate carving files from images (3D). Also not free but very inexpensive and easy to learn with some good video tutorials.

There are also many OpenSource applications.

Re: CAD/CAM Software

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's been some time since I looked into the software. Most of what I found previously, just could not get comfortable with the learning curve. There seems to be more kinds of software available that have been developed related to this matter. Thanks again for the suggestions. You're suggestions are encouraging and will give me a place to start the search again. PW

NX is a popular software for manufacturing with good CAD and CAM capabilities. MasterCAM is great for CAM but not for CAD. SolidWorks on the other hand is great for CAD but not for CAM. You could also try Fusion360 which is a nice novel approach to CAD/CAM branch. These tools run well on Citrix VDI

I see the market have many software. As my ideal:
    1. Solidwork is good for solid design.
    2. NX is higher level than Solidwork, you can design surface and more.
    3. CamTool is good for CAM program.
    4. Vericut is good for simulation, check and optimal NC file.