585,708 active members*
3,898 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TL Lathe Tailstock Rigidity

I have a TL-2 lathe with a side clamp style tailstock like the picture below.

https://520machinery.com/2007HaasTL2_01232012-2.jpg

It has a lot of deflection in it. I can push it by hand when locked so it deflects at the top by 0.002" or so. It also squeezes the rails together about 0.005" when clamping and obviously doesn't repeat well that way. I can machine anything over 24" long without major chatter at the end. Is this normal for this setup. I realize the design has clanged a few times over the years. Mine is a 2006.

I am considering making a new base and use the Bosch bearing blocks, however I am wondering how much better that is? Or is it a lack of rigidity in the rails themselves? If anyone has a newer lathe with preloaded bearings in the tailstock I would love to know how ridged it is?

Thank you in advance.
    Will

Re: TL Lathe Tailstock Rigidity

Looks like poor design to me. The entire mounting system does not provide much lateral support, hopefully the newer machines have a more robust design. The tailstock should be as rigid as the headstock.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: TL Lathe Tailstock Rigidity

Did you come up with anything on your tailstock?

I have a 2005 and turn lots of 15-18" SS shafting and setting the tail stock sucks. Once I get it set, I leave the power on during the entire time so I don't have to move the tailstock to home.
    I typically just get it as close as I can then use a U0.00x to take the taper out. It typically takes a few cuts to get it just right but it's lots of wasted time. I thought about putting it on bearing blocks, but I don't think there would be a good way to lock it down.

Quote Originally Posted by will_eng View Post
    I have a TL-2 lathe with a side clamp style tailstock like the picture below.

https://520machinery.com/2007HaasTL2_01232012-2.jpg

It has a lot of deflection in it. I can push it by hand when locked so it deflects at the top by 0.002" or so. It also squeezes the rails together about 0.005" when clamping and obviously doesn't repeat well that way. I can machine anything over 24" long without major chatter at the end. Is this normal for this setup. I realize the design has clanged a few times over the years. Mine is a 2006.

I am considering making a new base and use the Bosch bearing blocks, however I am wondering how much better that is? Or is it a lack of rigidity in the rails themselves? If anyone has a newer lathe with preloaded bearings in the tailstock I would love to know how ridged it is?

Thank you in advance.
    Will