585,752 active members*
4,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multicam 610 retrofit

Hi everyone. I'm a cnc newbie. I've been wanting to get a cnc machine for a long time and finally have the time/ money to do it. Anyways, I was initially going to attempt to build my cnc router (mechmate) but have begun exploring other options. Recently a multicam 610 came up for sale at what appears to be a good price (2k). I'm having a hard time getting information from the seller. He says everything works but the router head. Would this be a good machine to retrofit with new controls/ motors? On my mechmate build I was going down the path of acorn controls with dmm motors. My research also has me wanting to use fusion 360. The machine is mainly for hobby use but, like most, would not mind if I could make some money at some point. Any and feedback and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

Re: Multicam 610 retrofit

Depends on the condition of the machine and your retro-fit budget. Some photographs would be good.

Check for wear on mechanical parts, belts, rack and pinions, rails and bearings etc. When they say the router head doesn't work, find out what they mean, it could be a simple fix or may need replacement.

I'll try to post some pictures. I've asked seller to supply more. My overall budget is about 7k. That'd leave about 5k for retrofit. I'm having a hard time finding any information on this model. In fact I can find none. Multicam 610. Thanks again for any help /suggestions.

I did a little work on a similar Multicam machine a couple of years ago, so have at least had my hands on the controls. And did a controls retrofit and some maintenance on another one, so somewhat familiar with the Multicam machines. Overall they are pretty good machines. So if the machine looks to be in reasonable mechanical condition $2K is not a bad price and a good candidate for a retrofit.

If this machine is the one in Phoenix, the seller seems to indicate that the spindle problem is the VFD, so not a big deal. VFDs are cheap. A Porter Cable 75182 router motor also makes a good replacement, but the Persky spindle is a nice unit.

Acorn and DMM would make an excellent controls retrofit. I use DMM servos on my lathe and have been very happy with them. I used Clearpath servos on the Multicam retrofit that I did and that also worked out well.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA