584,833 active members*
5,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport EZ Vision arc compensation

Ok this one really has me confused! My Series 1 has an issue with milling the inner diameter of any circles. I’ve tried conversational, pocketing, profiling both conventional and climb milling and my inner diameter is always smaller than expected. My circles are perfect when milling to a certain outer diameter and other profile cuts. I’m not aware of any cutter compensations in my programming or in the machine itself. As an example if I mill a circle with .600 diameter, it ends up at .591. Any suggestions on what to look for or test?

Re: Bridgeport EZ Vision arc compensation

Are your pockets OK?

If everything else is OK, then all I can think of is that the endmill is undersize by about 0.004, there is a tool offset stuck in the machine controller, or there is a non-zero ''stock to leave'' setting in the CAM setup.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Are your pockets OK?

If everything else is OK, then all I can think of is that the endmill is undersize by about 0.004, there is a tool offset stuck in the machine controller, or there is a non-zero ''stock to leave'' setting in the CAM setup.
    Thank you for the response. I was also trying to mill some .875 holes with a .250 milling bit and had to tweak the settings to say my bit diameter was .241 in order to get the proper diameter. This is NOT fun! How could the machine only have an error for inner dimensions and not outer?

Just out of curiosity did you measure the bit? I actually have some new solid carbide 1/4 bits that run from 0.246 down to 0.239. But if I enter the actual size, they cut correct, both ID and OD. I assume that is not what is happening in your case.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Just out of curiosity did you measure the bit? I actually have some new solid carbide 1/4 bits that run from 0.246 down to 0.239. But if I enter the actual size, they cut correct, both ID and OD. I assume that is not what is happening in your case.
    Jim,

Yes I measured and the bits were fine. That would make sense if my circle cuts for OD were off too. However I’m only struggling with ID cuts.

I figured that you had, I was just checking. The only thing left is a setting in your CAM setup. We had a similar problem on the OD of a part and finally found a ''stock to leave'' was set to non-zero for that operation. I can't imagine any setting in the machine controller that would cause this to only affect the ID of a arc. A tool offset should affect both ID and OD.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I figured that you had, I was just checking. The only thing left is a setting in your CAM setup. We had a similar problem on the OD of a part and finally found a ''stock to leave'' was set to non-zero for that operation. I can't imagine any setting in the machine controller that would cause this to only affect the ID of a arc. A tool offset should affect both ID and OD.
    Just want to provide an update. While I’m not 100% certain, I did figure out there were some settings in the Tool Table that might’ve been causing my problems. I have since cleared the table (& everything else I could find) and lately my bores have been spot on. I’m still learning every day I play with with this Bridgeport. Finally making chips and parts that actually look like my CAD!!!!