585,575 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > X axis fault Error #1 but gives error #3 when amp card swapped

X axis fault Error #1 but gives error #3 when amp card swapped

X axis fault Error #1 but gives error #3 when amp card swapped

I was doing a everyday machining job when all of the sudden the machine stopped and displayed a X axis fault error #24, tried to jog the table and CS, got #26 and after that only error #1 now appears.

I was able to get all the axis to jog with any sign of noise or binding but once the table got homed, the x axis fault error #1 came back.

After consulting with a parts dealer, I switched out the x amp card and y amp card and the the y axis faulted with error #3. I would think a error #1 would appear but it did not. Did it a few times and the X amp card always displayed error #1 for the X axis but error #3 for the y axis if swapped out.

Re: X axis fault Error #1 but gives error #3 when amp card swapped

CENTAUR91,

I think you are getting an alarm #3 is because you need to change the jumpers when changing boards or it will not read the correct axis. Follow this link and follow the directions on how to exchange controller cards. https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/Axis_Controller.pdf

Alarm #1 is stating that you are not getting proper feedback to the controller card or motor. You will need to replace the resolver is a DC motor or the cabling to the motor. If you have a AC motor, send it in for repair and we will get you back one that looks new and works like a champ.

FadalCNC Tech Support

Not getting those errors anymore. I was able to grab the x axis ball screw and move the table back and forth and was able to CS and home the table with no errors. Now the x axis motor is making a crackling, gargling sound. On another thread, a member told me it could be bad motor brushes and tach brushes. I check if that is the cause and if that looks good then pull the resolver for physical inspect. I did check the resolver voltages from the controller and got slightly over 1.75 volts which I believe is good.

The z axis motor appears to be a DC servo motor, model REM-00119/GM4050. Would the x y axis motors be the same?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fadal x axis.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	412688

Quote Originally Posted by centaur91 View Post
    Not getting those errors anymore. I was able to grab the x axis ball screw and move the table back and forth and was able to CS and home the table with no errors. Now the x axis motor is making a crackling, gargling sound. On another thread, a member told me it could be bad motor brushes and tach brushes. I check if that is the cause and if that looks good then pull the resolver for physical inspect. I did check the resolver voltages from the controller and got slightly over 1.75 volts which I believe is good.

The z axis motor appears to be a DC servo motor, model REM-00119/GM4050. Would the x y axis motors be the same?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fadal x axis.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	412688
    Yes the motors are the same and you have a MTR-0002. You can exchange them to test out the motor. Likely you will need a full rebuild, but check the brushes, both amature and Tach. While the motor brushes are out, take a shop Vac and suck out the carbon. Do not blow in the motor, this can cause carbon arking and give you a new set of problems to deal with.

FadalCNC Tech Support