585,758 active members*
4,222 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach Spindle Control

OK, I got Mach3 to turn on and off using m03 and m05. But can't get the throttle to work. Using Big Tex Blue screen, warp9td usb to parralell, and then to Gecko G540 control. To run the machine. I'm trying to interface the KCIb speed controler VFD. Using the P1, P2, P3 to gG540 terminal connections to 7/8/9. In MDI mode in Mach3 output#1 is on pin 14 which i have amnual control or typing in the M codes. But I can't get mach3 with all the componants to talk to the vfd speed control. The KCIB speed control create it's own power for the vfd signal. Also read alot on other chat forums and tired the setting on motor inputs, output signal, pulley set ups, spindle setup, and messing with all different settings. This motor for the spindle I bought from Sherline to get 1/2 horse power to the machine. Put can't get this mach3 to communicate throught the G540 gecko board.

Tim

Re: Mach Spindle Control

OK, Tested the Gecko g540 board on pins 7,8,9 gecko company said on their website "Yes" to control the VFD signal. And on another page of the same website it said "No". I put 2 different Osiliscope to see if there was signal. the whiper and positive. Nothing At all. I think G540 and Mach3 can't work together to control the vfd for a simple Kicb board.

Quote Originally Posted by cncknockout View Post
    OK, Tested the Gecko g540 board on pins 7,8,9 gecko company said on their website "Yes" to control the VFD signal. And on another page of the same website it said "No". I put 2 different Osiliscope to see if there was signal. the whiper and positive. Nothing At all. I think G540 and Mach3 can't work together to control the vfd for a simple Kicb board.
    Yes they do they work fine together, have you added the 10v supply to the G540 if not then that may be why you have no output from the G540
    Mactec54

yes the 10V supply was added with the scope testing. And again no control at all.

Tim

yes the 10V supply was added with the scope testing. And again no control at all.

Tim
    Was that 10v to Pin 9 and com, if this is not working you have a configuration problem in the control
    Mactec54

yes the pin 9 is 10v/ pin8 whipper/ and pin 7 -neg. and yes the configuration is the problem like I stated in the First post.

Tim

yes the pin 9 is 10v/ pin8 whipper/ and pin 7 -neg. and yes the configuration is the problem like I stated in the First post.

Tim
    Ok does you computer have a PP or only usb output

Post photos of your Mach3 and ESS settings from that I may see something that is out of place
    Mactec54

I don't what "PP" Means. But it's USB from the computer to Smooth Stepper to 25 pin parallel.

Tim

I don't what "PP" Means. But it's USB from the computer to Smooth Stepper to 25 pin parallel.

Tim
    Parallel Port
    Mactec54

yes I do have a parallel port .

Lets Start over again..................... from the computer is USB to the Smooth Stepper Board (warp9td) which takes the USB to 25 Pin Parallel Port. which from that go to the parallel to the Gecko G540 Parallel connection to drive the machine.

How hard is this to understand when I explain it more that one time in the all the postings. I can get the command out to M03 to start and M05 stop the spindle. But again no throttle control.

Using the pins on the G540 board 7/8/9 to control the vfd of the KBIC Board. Which supply's the 10V.

So mach3 is not communicating to control the throttle.

Tim

yes I do have a parallel port .

Lets Start over again..................... from the computer is USB to the Smooth Stepper Board (warp9td) which takes the USB to 25 Pin Parallel Port. which from that go to the parallel to the Gecko G540 Parallel connection to drive the machine.

How hard is this to understand when I explain it more that one time in the all the postings. I can get the command out to M03 to start and M05 stop the spindle. But again no throttle control.

Using the pins on the G540 board 7/8/9 to control the vfd of the KBIC Board. Which supply's the 10V.

So mach3 is not communicating to control the throttle.

Tim
    What I was asking was did the computer have a Parallel Port as if it did then you could bypass the SS to get the G540 working and then add the SS back in

what is the KBIC Board do you have a link to this Boards spec's
    Mactec54

I have the spec's on all componants. Also talked to all tech support from Gecko in (Hawaii), Smooth Stepper in (Michigan) and KBIC in (Florida). All I need to control is P1,P2, P3 with is the positive , whipper, and negative for the control of the dc speed control. which is tied into port 7,8,9, on the Gecko G540 board. And mach3 recognizes it on Pin 14 for the parallel port.

Tim

I have the spec's on all componants. Also talked to all tech support from Gecko in (Hawaii), Smooth Stepper in (Michigan) and KBIC in (Florida). All I need to control is P1,P2, P3 with is the positive , whipper, and negative for the control of the dc speed control. which is tied into port 7,8,9, on the Gecko G540 board. And mach3 recognizes it on Pin 14 for the parallel port.

Tim
    Well it seems you have it under control, but by what I see it will not work like what they have been telling you , what would you need the C6 ( KBIC ) board for
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Well it seems you have it under control, but by what I see it will not work like what they have been telling you , what would you need the C6 ( KBIC ) board for

The (KBIC Board which currently in place) is the AC to DC motor Driver for the DC power Spindle motor. Whit out that I couldn't use 120v circuit AC to Run a DC motor for the spindle.

Tim

The (KBIC Board which currently in place) is the AC to DC motor Driver for the DC power Spindle motor. Whit out that I couldn't use 120v circuit AC to Run a DC motor for the spindle.

Tim
    I realize what the spindle is you are running now, but the wiring from the G540 to the C6 board is what is very strange as the PWM out from the G540 is not going to connect to another PWM post some photos of these connections and it may make sense as to how they have wired it, but if you still have no output from the G540 this part would have to be working to know if it was going to work as wired
    Mactec54

Attachment 414194

Hey Machtec54, The Reference "C6" board is not valid, I have no C6 board. Here's the drawing for my current hook up. Again the (mach3)computer to usb, to Warp9td Board to 25 pin parallel cable. from that cable to Gecko G540 Driver Board. drawing shows pin layout for the g540 board. g540 pins 7/8/9 to the KBIC board, which is the spindle driver board. from 120v ac to 90 vdc. the KBIC board also create's the 10V for the pin out of P1/P3. So P1 is 10+ , P2 is the whiper, P3 is the 10- . (it was using a 5k Pot switch to throttle the speed.

I hope this is not confuseing for you.

Tim

Attachment 414194

Hey Machtec54, The Reference "C6" board is not valid, I have no C6 board. Here's the drawing for my current hook up. Again the (mach3)computer to usb, to Warp9td Board to 25 pin parallel cable. from that cable to Gecko G540 Driver Board. drawing shows pin layout for the g540 board. g540 pins 7/8/9 to the KBIC board, which is the spindle driver board. from 120v ac to 90 vdc. the KBIC board also create's the 10V for the pin out of P1/P3. So P1 is 10+ , P2 is the whiper, P3 is the 10- . (it was using a 5k Pot switch to throttle the speed.

I hope this is not confuseing for you.

Tim
    Is the P1 10v a constant supply at all times P3 10- I don't believe would work it would need to be ACM ( Analog Ground ) the PWM control is only 0-10V from the G540
    Mactec54

P1 is Constant 10V supply P3 is the Negative. What is An ACM? the Factory for KBIC board said if it can be controlled of the P1,P@ and P3. Then it would work for throttle up and down.

Tim

P1 is Constant 10V supply P3 is the Negative. What is An ACM? the Factory for KBIC board said if it can be controlled of the P1,P@ and P3. Then it would work for throttle up and down.

Tim
    Analog Common so is the same as what you just posted Negative, not what you posted before -10v

So then it all goes back to Mach3 setup to get that part all working and you should be good to go with that connection, you need to post the screen shots of the setup in Mach3
    Mactec54