585,712 active members*
4,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Leadwell Fanuc 3m--NEED ATC HELP

I have a Leawell 550S with a Fanuc 3M control. I had to put a new PCB board in and before I did it I got all the parameters saved and reloaded correctly but now my tool changer is messed up for instance when I call up T5 M6 it puts the tool away that's in the spindle but then the carousel just goes around and around like it doesn't know where to pick up T5 in the carousel. Does anyone know how to setup the ATC on this machine? I don't know if its a diagnostic parameter that needs to be changed because that's the only parameters I didn't save or take a screen shot of or if it's saved in the local 500-550 variable offsets. Something has to tell it what tool is in the spindle and how many tools are in the carousel???? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Re: Leadwell Fanuc 3m--NEED ATC HELP

If I’m not mistaken, the ATC data is going to be in your diagnostic parameters. The specific numbers depends on the MTB, Leawell in this case. How those numbers are interpreted is again based on the MTB.

Check your electrical cabinet for a binder or folder of some sort, there may be a sheet with instructions on resetting your ATC position. But without those diags (basically PMC parameters) or instructions on reestablishing your ATC, your tool changer doesn’t know where it’s at, where it’s going or where it was.

Contact Leawell, I would be hard pressed to find out they don’t have copies. Even on something this old.

I have a kiwa with the 3m control and I had a very similar problem. One day out of the blue the tool carousel would just go round and round and never stop. I found that the board that the tool changer encoder plugged into was not giving power to the encoder. It turned out to be a voltage regulator on that board. I replaced the voltage regulator then the encoder worked again but the tool number was wrong. I contacted Kiwa in Japan and they told me which parameter on the diagnose screen should be changing as the carousel rotates. The DGNOS parameter that shows this on mine is number 20. It is probably different on yours.
    I went through a mess trying to get the tool number and the correct tool in the carousel to match. Mine used binary that was specific to that encoder so i had to figure out which binary number matched the tool number. And no on mine the actual binary number didn't match the tool number. What I ended up doing was rotating the encoder a little at a time until the commanded tool matched the carousel. Hope this helps some. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_dan67 View Post
    I have a kiwa with the 3m control and I had a very similar problem. One day out of the blue the tool carousel would just go round and round and never stop. I found that the board that the tool changer encoder plugged into was not giving power to the encoder. It turned out to be a voltage regulator on that board. I replaced the voltage regulator then the encoder worked again but the tool number was wrong. I contacted Kiwa in Japan and they told me which parameter on the diagnose screen should be changing as the carousel rotates. The DGNOS parameter that shows this on mine is number 20. It is probably different on yours.
    I went through a mess trying to get the tool number and the correct tool in the carousel to match. Mine used binary that was specific to that encoder so i had to figure out which binary number matched the tool number. And no on mine the actual binary number didn't match the tool number. What I ended up doing was rotating the encoder a little at a time until the commanded tool matched the carousel. Hope this helps some. Dan
    Yeah resetting the tool position can be a nightmare when the DGNOS/PMC data is lost. I haven't had to do it on a 3 control but I have on a 15 control. It's a huge pain

Quote Originally Posted by bumzag View Post
    Yeah resetting the tool position can be a nightmare when the DGNOS/PMC data is lost. I haven't had to do it on a 3 control but I have on a 15 control. It's a huge pain
    After endless reading through manuals. I found a page where there were some diagnostic parameters written down in the electric diagram book so I said what the heck and punched them in and it fixed the tool changer. I got the machine back running production yesterday. Thank You guys for all your help. I didn't know for sure if it was even controlled by the diagnostic parameters until you all helped. It turned out to be diagnostic parameters

204- 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0
    210- 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0
    160- 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0

Enter T0 M6 in MDI before and set the carousel to where you want Tool 1 to start at the next pot before entering the parameters