585,690 active members*
5,006 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Gantry Painter Build Pics - Night 1

Tonight i printed templates for the sides, and cut one with a scroll saw. took forever.. gonna goto school tomorrow to cut the other 3 with a bandsaw, and use their sanders to clean up the cuts and make all 4 side panels identical. to do this, i am going to put bolts through the axel holes, and bolt them all together before sanding down to size.. gotta read about polishing the edges of acrylic.... heres some photos.

this photo shows an old part for another machine with the wheels laid up next to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails faux gantry setup.jpg  
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

Another faux setup

I thought you guys might wanna see more of this gantry assembly. i decided not to use it because i want something a bit different for this. i will stick to my plans. i put lots of work into it though. its made of john Ks window channel, but used totaly different. i riveted a bunch of it together to for this structure, then painted it.. took an evening... then i mounted a bunch of poorly machined aluminum bearing blocks.. TAKE time when seting up your drills and cuts! its worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails faux gantry setup2.jpg  
    Design & Development
    My Portfolio: www.robertguyser.com | CAD Blog I Contribute to: http://www.jeffcad.info

The actual parts

Heres 1 part cut, 1 part patterned.. The cut is SOO rough with the scroll saw... gotta have patience and wait till i can use a bandsaw for this... gonna sand all the parts true...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1cutside1pattern.jpg  
    Design & Development

One side layedout

heres 1 side laid on a bench
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails onesidelayout.jpg  
    Design & Development

Wow Vac, I envy your speed. Looking good at this point.
    By day 5 you'll have your own billboard on Madison avenue
    -Please check out my webiste-
    http://www.teilhardo.com

By day 5 you'll have your own billboard on Madison avenue
    And vacpress will rest on the seventh day.

He he. Nice work there.
    Realy impressive.

Konstantin

Did you ever find anything out about polishing the cut sides of acrylic?

i didnt get nearly as much as i wanted done. i had to stop cuz it was 2am and my roomies were like "why are you sawing?"

kcoaks- no. im gonna ask today at the school shop, maybe the shop leader guy knows.. if not, im sure its just a buffer wheel... i hate my buffer wheel though - it makes a very scary noise.
    Design & Development

Vacpress - when I was about your age (seems a while) in the sign shop we used a hooked knife to round over the edge of plex - but that was scary too! Also a wheel (sanding disk) hand held on a drill or belt sander - but then again on a sign 40 feet++ in the air you never notice the small imperfections.
    I have seen flame-ploished and "melted edges" on some plastics - but control of the heat is important so you don't "flame" the project. (flame2)
    Maybe a beat up iron from goodwill/sallys?
    Progress is amazing! Keep it up!
    cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Re: Another faux setup

Originally posted by vacpress
    I thought you guys might wanna see more of this gantry assembly.
    ...just wanna see MORE!

vac

Whene you need parts in plexi ore something i will mill theme for you.
    I have made a big cnc milling machine.

At this moment i didn't found a way for cnc color controlling.
    Did you found something yet?

publi - i think i did find something out. basically a mix of image processing software to get the pics ready and in a basic "Raw" format. then a program that takes that data and reads it.. it turns out we dont have to "mix" paint.. not really. gotta get the dots small enough that the colors are made up of small dots - like a page in a magazine

as for getting parts machined - that would be great if i didnt have access to a very good AXYZZ machine at school. i cut some parts with a bandsaw and think they suck. so i am gonna get a new piece of plexi and use the CNC here to do it on wed.

if you want the 3D files to build along - that would be very cool.
    Design & Development

vac

I will mill the part at my cnc.
    I can mill large format parts on it.

cool that you found a way to get the photo in a xy z grid.
    How does it work?
    for the printhead we can use airbruch nozzels i think.
    An other way would be using a piezo cristal and making ower own painthead.

publi -

i like the idea of using airbrush nozzles in a grid and some sort of wire, or hoop, or other system that is "metered". i have decided on the following development path:

1-build a sturdy scale prototype per design. the design i have been posting is 48" wide.. i have my eye on 10' square steel tube from home depot that is $13.00 a piece for a "full size"
    2-get the thing working with some GCode interpreter software. i am pretty sure i like the looks of "Cstep" from www.luberth.com. gotta love luberth.. he is as responsible as anyone for all of us being here.
    3-write my own software to do some fun algorithmic patterns and stuff with the machine
    4-deign and develop some sort of 4-color painthead - maybe a pixation adaptation, maybe something new
    5-develop the raster control software to use the 4-color printhead.

as i said - i have access to this at school:

so tomorrow or wed. i am going to get all the main parts cut on it. i will post the dxfs and gcode. if you want access to my 3d data - goto solidworks.com and get "edrawings viewer" and i will post the cad data.

I am building with acrylic "plexiglass" but MDF would be fine for a prototype so you can have fun with the idea. if you want help with finding parts, i can give suggestions, also i posted that partial parts list with some guidance in it...
    also, this thing could be built in 1/2 scale or 2/1 scale probably.

i plan on using a marker or a single spray-gun for the first round of testing. i want to finish that part fast!
    Design & Development

Vac,

Here's how to polish the edges of the plex:
    Sand smooth and straight with sandpaper on a block of wood. Bear in mind the heavier the grit the deeper the scratches. 80# isn't too bad. Then sand smooth using 100#, 180# and 220#. Finish with about 320# or 400# depending on how perfect you want it.
    Then use the buffing wheel and rouge to polish it out. Don't sit too long in any one spot with the buffer. You don't want to heat up the plex and cause it to flow. It is amazing how soft it is.
    I wouldn't recommend flame polishing. If you do any thinner, cleaners or spirits that will come in contact will likely cause the plex to craze.
    Nice job so far.

Chris

cbcnc - ah thanks... when i tried my oldskool nastyazz buffing wheel here at home, it started to flow right away - plus that thing is tooo scary to use. i think it might not be exactly the right thing..

a guy at the school shop showed me scraping the edes with a piece of sheet metal to get it clean enough to begin to polish it. i am unhappy with my sloppy cutting though. im sure the machined edges will be closer to ready.. i want to put a 45deg bevel on the outside edge also, with a router - to give it that "special look"
    Design & Development

Vac,

If you can make an MDF pattern then you can cut the plex a little big and use a router with a carbide flush cutter to route up to the pattern. That way you will get identical sides and the routed edge is easier to polish.

Chris

hmmm. i keep feeling like if i cant make these simple flat pieces by hand - i cant make anything.. but 1/2" acrylic is sorta difficult to work with... gotta have alot of patience.. its not like wood where you can go fast if your "warmed up". and it smells so caustic.

so - with a router? would it have to have the ball bearing on it? i havent used the router much at all.. not for tracing any templates at least. at home here ive got a porter cable router and table.. i was thinking about just clamping 4 imperfect pieces together and taking them to a big rotary sander st school... i did that briefly today though, and even with the dustcollector going it was way too stinky..

maybe if i opened the windows and got a fan.... OR. ill jsut let the cnc machine cut 4 perfect parts in 30minutes and do it with way less waste... maybe faster than 30 minutes? shop guy at school says we can cut .5 acrylic in 3 passes, but i didnt ask how fast we can run....

ill search the archive for that info... its prolly here..
    Design & Development

Sorry, I don't mean to way ahead of you and your skills. I am an old Tradeshow and Exhibit Builder and working with various materials is second nature to me.
    Pattern work with a router or router table is how alot of parts are made consistantly. Once you have the pattern (I like 1/2" MDF) then you can cut your pieces flush with that. Nowadays with CNC machines this is almost "Old School".
    Your router should be set up with a cutter that, yes, has a bearing on it. I prefer to work on a router table. Your pattern can be double face taped to the plex or screwed down. The pattern is on top and the bearing rides on that. The material should be cut to about 1/16" bigger.
    If you are not comfortable using a router or haven't done it before I suggest that you get someone to help you out.

Good luck,
    Chris

cbcnc - no i have done similar tasks with a rputer though. ive used mine to make decorative trim and to trim small parts.. i got it anticipating using it mainly as a spindle motor.

thanks for the advice... i will keep it in mind next time.. instead of making a ****e plexi cut, i will make a nice MDF pattern and then do the router trimming. at least give it a shot. when i have a decent machine here at home this will all be a moot point. i am pretty able with the software so setups and modeling can be done faster than carefully cutting...

im not trying to be a "real" machinist.. i just need prototype parts...

thanks
    Design & Development

Page 1 of 2 12