585,589 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How to scale a dxf drawing to the right size based off an element?? v26

Question How to scale a dxf drawing to the right size based off an element?? v26

Hi,

How do I go about scaling a dxf file to right size I need, it is currently much too large.
    As an example, I know that the holes on it are 1/4" diameter, but measured they are 6.35".

So can i scale the whole drawing based on a measurement of this circle somehow?? I know in other programs I can do this, but have no idea how to in BodCad (v26)

thx

Re: How to scale a dxf drawing to the right size based off an element?? v26

In later versions this is done with Translate, one of the boxes in Translate is for scaling, just work out your sclaing factor.

I did not start using BobCAD until V28, but I think Translate is where you will find your answer.

Barrie
    Barrie @ Composite Specialities Ltd. using BobCAD V29 Mill 3 axis Pro, Geomagic Design, Bricscad V16 and MOI V3

Yes, Bazzer is right about Translate. Scaling is always done in one of two ways. And yes you can take any object that you know the true size of.

1) What you have is bigger then what you want. Take what you want and divide it by what you have. You will get a number less than one. Do a control A or select all, open translate, pick coordinates and set everything at 0-0. Then put that number you came up with and enter it into the "Scale" window. You can go four or five places past the decimal. Hit OK and you're done. Don't forget to change "Scale back to 1 or you're going to get yourself in trouble later.

2) What you have is smaller then what you want. Take what you want and divide by what you have. Now you will get a number bigger than 1. Do everything as stated above, except use your greater than 1 number in the "Scale" window.

Your dxf has clearly been drawn in millimeters. I don't use Bobcad but it may be a simple as selecting the correct units or scaling you drawing by .03937

Quote Originally Posted by shane-w View Post
    Your dxf has clearly been drawn in millimeters. I don't use Bobcad but it may be a simple as selecting the correct units or scaling you drawing by .03937
    Hey Shane,

I've been having dxf scale problems with BobCad for a couple decades. I'm sure some are as you say and done in Millimeters. The 1/25.4 inverse number you posted does ring a bell. But BobCad has other problems too with dxf. Don't ask me what, but it does.

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    Hi,

How do I go about scaling a dxf file to right size I need, it is currently much too large.
    As an example, I know that the holes on it are 1/4" diameter, but measured they are 6.35".

So can i scale the whole drawing based on a measurement of this circle somehow?? I know in other programs I can do this, but have no idea how to in BodCad (v26)

thx
    Set bobcad to mm and "merge" your dxf, then set the units to inches.

.25 inches = 6.35mm

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Set bobcad to mm and "merge" your dxf, then set the units to inches.

.25 inches = 6.35mm
    Will give that a go thx..

tried it...didn't work..will have to scale it