584,858 active members*
4,730 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Power Supply to drive 2 Nema 23 4.2 amp motors

Power Supply to drive 2 Nema 23 4.2 amp motors

Hello Gang!

Just to be sure I get the right thing. I'm looking to power 2 Nema 23 3N.m motors rated at 4.2 amps. I want to run them on 36v. What is a safe wattage PSU to look for.

Most likely coming from Amazon. I know Mean Well is talked about, but I'm not finding that brand in that voltage on there.

Thanks

:-)

Motor Type: Bipolar Stepper
    Step Angle: 1.8 deg
    Holding Torque: 3.0Nm(425oz.in)
    Rated Current/phase: 4.2A

Re: Power Supply to drive 2 Nema 23 4.2 amp motors

What drives are you using? If your drives will take it, higher voltage is much better. I normally run steppers on 75-80V power supplies, much better performance.

These are my prefered units https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ower-supplies/

But these work https://www.automationtechnologiesin...-power-supply/
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim,

Okay, I think these stepper are 24-48v so you think 48v would be better? How many watts/amp PSU would I need to drive 2 steppers?

I haven't purchased the Stepper/driver yet so I may choose a different driver like the HBS860H

I have a Nema 34 12 N.m and bought a 70v PSU for that.

Any thoughts on the Closed loops with the integrated driver? see pic?

--------------------------------------

This is the motor/driver I was looking at:

1PC NEMA23 Closed-Loop Stepper motor 2.8N.M Shaft Diameter 8mm 23SSM2440-EC1000

1PC 2Phase Nema23 Closed-Loop Stepper Drive HBS57

-------------------------------------

Model:23SSM2440-EC1000

Phase: 2PHASE

Step Angle: 1.8degree/Step

Voltage: 3.6V

Current: 4.0A

Resistance: 0.9?/PHASE

Inductance: 3.8mH/PHASE

Holding Torque: 2.8N.m(400oz.in)

Detent Torque: 12N.cm

Rotor Torque: 800g.cm²

Resolution: 1000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails step.jpg  

The maximum input voltage is not determined by the motor (they are rated around 3 V or so), but rather by the drive maximum rated voltage. The motor current is really the important value. The drive will limit the current to the motor according to current setting on the drive. So if you have an 80 V rated drive, then you're very safe operating at 75V, without regard to motor voltage ratings.

To be completely on the safe side, you could just add all the motor currents together and use that value for the power supply amp rating. I do tend to over build sometimes and 60% of that would probably work. But power supplies are cheap.

Closed loop steppers are the latest thing, I assume they work as advertised and should eliminate lost steps.

I have not used any of the integrated drive motors with the exception of the Clearpath SK motors. The Clearpath motors worked very well, but they are a bit more expensive than the import units on EBay.

The down side of the integrated drive is if you lose the drive or the motor, then you toss the whole assembly. The upside is that there is less wiring to deal with. In general I prefer a separate motor and drive.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi,
    the picture you attached looks as if the driver is attached, the box along side of the motor itself with all those connectors
    and DIP switches. If that is the case then use the maximum voltage those drivers are rated for.

If you get standalone motors try to get the lowest inductance ones you can, high torque is nice but low inductance means that
    the stepper will go fast which steppers do not do well at.

Consider Leadshine AM882 drivers, 80V maximum input, best in class and up to 8.2A (or any lesser current you program).

The simplest calculation thereafter is to add up the max motor currents. If you have three 3.5A motors go for a 10.5A supply, and if you
    use the AM882 drivers 80V output. It is unlikely that all your steppers are going to draw max current all at once so 7-8A would probably
    be enough.

Most of the supplies you will be looking at will be switch mode supplies because they are cheapest at those high power levels. Have a look
    at some of the toroidal transformer types. They tend to be bigger, way heavier but well designed and built units are bullet proof and very much
    more forgiving than switch mode types.

PS-8N80 - 800W 80V Power Supply - AnTek Products Corp

Craig