585,715 active members*
3,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > grizzly G0704 or the Precision Mattews PM-25MV

grizzly G0704 or the Precision Mattews PM-25MV

Hi,
    I been researching bench top mills I've narrowed my choices down to the grizzly G0704 or the Precision Matthews PM-25MV. They are very similar mill. Precision Matthews PM-25MV with stand $2037 shipped/ the grizzly with the stand $1702 shipped. What’s important better quality machine I need to less run 1/2 end mill thru alum .05 depth of cut and not struggle, ease of use & getting replacement parts easily if needed, and don’t need the company closed down after I buy it! Each mill has there pros and cons, I do like the belt drive on the PM-25mv (I do plan to do a CNC conversion on the mill later). Cost of converting cnc grizzly G0704 vs. Precision Matthews PM-25MV I don’t know/ it seems there’s a lot more info on the G0704 online
    With that said, I'm looking for some input on which mill I should go with based on the features

Please any input would be greatly appreciated!

Re: grizzly G0704 or the Precision Mattews PM-25MV

They are essentially the same mill from the same factory, but Matt has been able to get some nice upgrades on the PMs. I think the 2 main things to look at are the castings (particularly the larger base and different column mount) and the DC motor/belt drive. You can buy the belt drive conversion kit for around $400 and add it to the Grizzly. For the modest price difference I'd go with the sturdier column and variable speed with belt drive. As far as runout of the spindle and table they won't be much different. CNC conversions are also readily available for each machine and cost about the same. I don't see either company going out of business any time soon. Here is a link to a video that compares the two side by side. The camera work is pretty crappy but he shows the main differences pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eYE9fFXDdM&t=1s

Go with the PM. I have the Grizzly and the conversion required lots of cutting and grinding of the castings to make ball nuts fit.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...are-posts.html

I also like how the column mounts on the PM. It seems more substantial.

Here is a nice conversion kit for the PM25MV. https://www.automationtechnologiesin...ual-ballscrew/

The column and table I think are both better on the PM, and it's got a better spindle setup to get started with.

I'm not sure these things will make it any better ultimately, but since have the option definitely go with the PM.

The G0704 and PM25 differences are all within the base colum and cross slide. While the column and base do look more rigid on the PM, I have not had any real issues with rigidity on my G0704 mill. Particularly for aluminum cutting I haven't had a problem at all. For steel, I just have to pay closer attention to speeds feeds and tool selection, but I don't feel that either the G0704 or the PM25 would be the right choice for cutting steel as the norm. They will both do fine though if you are careful. I really have more problem with power available than anything else.

The PM 25 column bolts on to the top of the base (bolts vertical), and the G0704 column bolts to the back of the base (Bolts horizontal). As I mentioned, I have the G0704 and I find that the arrangement it has for this has several benefits:

1. Adding a spacer between the base and column increases available Y-axis travel easily. I can't remember exactly but I think I get about 8.5" Y-axis travel.
    2. With the spacer there is added throat depth (swing). Even if you don't need the travel the throat depth can get a large piece on the table.
    3. With the spacer, the Y-axis is less likely to bind due to chips building up behind the table even if you don't need the extra travel. (Before the spacer I had this happen from time to time)

If you don't need the extra travel the PM25 might be a good choice, but seeing that you are talking about running a 1/2" EM at 0.050" depth, either will be fine. As far as the G0704 goes, the quality is much better than say a Harbor freight tool, but not stellar. Mine was absolutely fine for my purposes and I have done a decent amount of work with it without any issues regarding the base machine such as castings, dovetails, etc.. In regard to the spindle, I have had to replace bearings once, and I switched to a belt drive. The plastic gear train of the stock spindle drive is a downfall, but I don't think the PM spindle or drive is any different in design. I don't think the base PM25 is belt drive from the factory, but I know it is available. In either I wouldn't rely on the stock bearings lasting too long, and would plan on upgrading to a belt drive in either case.

Converting either is going to be about the same. There are kits available for both, but they usually only include the ballscrews and mounts. You will have to do your own limit switch mounts and such.

PM25MV is stock with a Brushless DC motor and a 2 speed belt drive.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    PM25MV is stock with a Brushless DC motor and a 2 speed belt drive.
    Then that is a definite plus for the PM25.

The PM-25 is not really that close to the 704 as far as parts.

The head is the same every other casting is different but they are about the same size.

Which is better depends on what you look at. The two speed belt drive and brushless DC motor on the PM-25 is a really nice upgrade. You do pay extra for it and it is better.

That said the G0704 is a fair amount more ridged. How the column bolts is only one factor in strength. The vary short and quite thick base of the 704 is really strong. The 25 is fairly thin.

So If you want to mill harder metals the 704 is a bit better. For softer materials the 25 is better.

Cutting the pocket for the X ball nut on the 704 is not that hard, I have seen people use a 5" hand grinder and do a nice job.

The better motor on the 25 is hard not to go with if you don't want to mess with things. You can get a 704 with a belt drive and brushless motor from DROPros but it is a single speed system.

Hope that helps.

Just so you know I have both he PM-25 and G0704 mills and have used them.

Dave
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Dave since you have both which one of the two do you like best?
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    The PM-25 is not really that close to the 704 as far as parts.

The head is the same every other casting is different but they are about the same size.

Which is better depends on what you look at. The two speed belt drive and brushless DC motor on the PM-25 is a really nice upgrade. You do pay extra for it and it is better.

That said the G0704 is a fair amount more ridged. How the column bolts is only one factor in strength. The vary short and quite thick base of the 704 is really strong. The 25 is fairly thin.

So If you want to mill harder metals the 704 is a bit better. For softer materials the 25 is better.

Cutting the pocket for the X ball nut on the 704 is not that hard, I have seen people use a 5" hand grinder and do a nice job.

The better motor on the 25 is hard not to go with if you don't want to mess with things. You can get a 704 with a belt drive and brushless motor from DROPros but it is a single speed system.

Hope that helps.

Just so you know I have both he PM-25 and G0704 mills and have used them.

Dave

Its hard to say whats best.

I like my 1000 pound IH mill with the 6K belt drive the best. (flame2)

For the smaller mills it really hard to say. With a larger motor and a belt drive the 704 is better. The problem is its a lot of work to get to that point. You will have a good amount of time and money in it by then making the PM-25 the best out of the box.

If I were to but one today it might be the 704 that DRO Pro sells and I would just make some new pulleys for it.

That's the thing, if you don't have a lathe or second mill doing mods is a pain. If you only have one tool then get the 25. If you have a lathe then get the DRO Pro 704.
    youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

I've used both. Actually I've used a lot of the grizzly mills. Most left me disappointed. Hands down I'm happy that I bought the PM25MV.