585,932 active members*
3,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Syntec 6MB Networking

I've hit a wall trying to get my Syntec 6MB controller networked. I've followed the manuals and the threads here, but I keep getting the error that it's unable to connect to the network.

The computer I'm trying to network is Windows XP. I changed the computer name to OMNI. I created a shared folder C:\OMNIFILES. I set the IP address to 169.254.161.171, subnet mask to 255.255.0.0.

On the controller, I set the PC name to OMNI. I set the Dir Name to OMNIFILES. I set IP address to 169.254.161.177, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. I also have Default gateway as 169.254.161.177.

I bought a D-link 5-port switch and cabled the controller and the PC to the switch (and nothing else).

I can ping the controller from the PC successfully. But I still get the error: Code 1222 The network is unreachable.

I also tried connecting the PC directly to the controller, and that doesn't work either.

I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong.

Re: Syntec 6MB Networking

You can not have same IP for computer ang gateway.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Thanks, I'll try that.

What is the Gateway address parameter for? I don't have a LAN. It's just my Laptop, a switch, and the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewomeara View Post
    I've hit a wall trying to get my Syntec 6MB controller networked. I've followed the manuals and the threads here, but I keep getting the error that it's unable to connect to the network.

The computer I'm trying to network is Windows XP. I changed the computer name to OMNI. I created a shared folder C:\OMNIFILES. I set the IP address to 169.254.161.171, subnet mask to 255.255.0.0.

On the controller, I set the PC name to OMNI. I set the Dir Name to OMNIFILES. I set IP address to 169.254.161.177, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. I also have Default gateway as 169.254.161.177.

I bought a D-link 5-port switch and cabled the controller and the PC to the switch (and nothing else).

I can ping the controller from the PC successfully. But I still get the error: Code 1222 The network is unreachable.

I also tried connecting the PC directly to the controller, and that doesn't work either.

I'm not sure what I'm getting wrong.

Use the same subnet mask otherwise you'll need a router to route traffic.

I deleted the entry for Gateway IP address and also the entry for the DNS servers on the controller. Now it works. Thanks.

Currently, I'm just trying to network the controller to my laptop with the shared folder (which is now working).

I'm curious though what other networking options are available. If the controller has Gateway and DNS entries, can I network this to the internet and have access from my home instead of just locally at the shop?

You could do this but you'll need to allow incoming traffic from the Internet through your modem/access equipment. Controlling a moving machine remotely like this may not be a very good idea unless you are very security conscious and somewhat savvy.

My goal isn't to control the machine remotely. My goal is to produce GCODE remotely and save to the share drive on the PC at my shop. I guess I just answered my own question.

I'm just curious why there are even entries on the syntec controller for DNS and GATEWAY. I don't see any reason the controller needs to connect to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewomeara View Post

I'm just curious why there are even entries on the syntec controller for DNS and GATEWAY. I don't see any reason the controller needs to connect to the internet.
    A machine and Operator in a work environment may be located in a different location/building and may be configured to be in a different subnet to the Coding folks. This requires routing (and a gateway) but does not mean it has to be connected to the Internet.

DNS is a mechanism to find IP addresses using user friendly names; along with DHCP it makes network management a lot easier than hard coding IP addresses. Go over more than a few machines in an IP network and you'll appreciate these features when/if changes are needed.