585,754 active members*
3,992 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > milling using double sided tape ?

milling using double sided tape ?

I have an L shaped aluminum part 5" x 2" x 1" (just a basic dim) and all walls need to end up .060 thick . I have already cut the inside of the L-shape and the outside profile . I just need to hold down and take 3/16 of aluminum off the walls . I have made a block with the inside form cut to match the blank and tried to clamp it and cut , but as you can imagine it curled up like a christmas bow. I was thinking I could try double sided tape over my block and just press the part on . So I need to know what type of tape to use so it will hold and so I can remove the thin part when done and do I need to allow for the tape thickness (most tapes I've found are .032 thick) of the form I have cut ? If anyone has used tape please respond !!! I only have 4 parts to make and 5 blanks left.

3m VHB tape

Thanks that sounds good I ordered a roll of .015 thick, do you remember how you removed the part after cutting ? It says it sticks pretty good, this part will to thin to pry off if it works.

Just cover enough to get the part to stick well. Take light cuts. Get under it with a razor and it should just peel off. Don't use any more than you need.