585,743 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Frequency?

I bought and installed a new 3hp water-cooled spindle with an inverter to run it. Inverter is https://www.valinonline.com/products/esv222n02yxb . Now whenever I switch the spindle on it triggers my limit switches (in Mach3) and I can only reset it when the spindle is not running. Would adding a line reactor to the inverter help? Spindle and limit switch wiring is all shielded and properly grounded.

I'm virtually at a standstill. Any help?

Re: Spindle Frequency?

It certainly sounds like it's some kind of EMI.
    Exactly what it is, is hard to tell without starting to probe all the lines with an oscilloscope or something ...

Maybe a silly question, but are you sure you grounded the VFD the machine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lukebarber;

jwatte is likely correct. To test, if it only fails when VFD is powered and/ or VFD spindle is turning, likely a high frequency electrical noise issue caused by the way VFD's work. This is a messy problem to fix, but the short answer is:

0) Follow manual on grounding and signal isolation techniques
    1) Physically separate power wiring to/ from VFD from all other wiring (On mine, I have the 24 kHz VFD in a separate metal control box).
    2) Have other wires (especially low voltage signals) cross VFD wiring at right angles wherever possible
    3) Put noise suppression on VFD input high voltage & spindle power wires (refer to manual)
    4) Run spindle power in shielded cable (manual should have guidance here)
    5) Ground one or both shields depending on VFD drive frequency (again manual should help here with details)
    6) Make certain you have only "Star" grounds, and no "Daisy chain" grounds

Good luck.

Oh, do all the above as opposed to doing one and testing because this is one area you are not looking for a 95% success rate.

I think you need to add a output line reactor.

Hi,

I think you need to add a output line reactor.
    Whatever you do not fit a line reactor to the output of the VFD, a line reactor goes on the input side of the VFD.
    There are specialized filters that go on the output side, usually only if the motor is 30m or more from the VFD.
    Follow the VFD manufacturers specs to the letter with these output filters or you will wreck the VFD quick smart.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by lukebarber View Post
    I bought and installed a new 3hp water-cooled spindle with an inverter to run it. Inverter is https://www.valinonline.com/products/esv222n02yxb . Now whenever I switch the spindle on it triggers my limit switches (in Mach3) and I can only reset it when the spindle is not running. Would adding a line reactor to the inverter help? Spindle and limit switch wiring is all shielded and properly grounded.

I'm virtually at a standstill. Any help?
    You don't have it wired correctly, it's how you Grounded the shields and your machine is Grounded, Post a photo of how you have done the Grounding
    Mactec54

This is how I did mine:

See attached pdf for my schematic.

Also, there is special shielded cable to use between the VFD and motor. I used this cable from McMaster-Carr. Without this cable properly grounded you're asking for trouble!

One thing to try would be to test the spindle while NOT attached to machine. The idea would be to break a ground loop that might be through the machine. Odds of this fixing it are small, but it’s easy to try. If it IS the problem then you have to figure out how to shield and mount everything without the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching with great interest. I am about to add a water cooled spindle to my mill.

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    Watching with great interest. I am about to add a water cooled spindle to my mill.
    What brand/size? Have you tested the TIR of the spindle? I'm in the same state so please keep us informed of your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    What brand/size? Have you tested the TIR of the spindle? I'm in the same state so please keep us informed of your progress.
    I bought this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-1-5KW-22...YAAOSw4ahbEOzL

I won't have it until Monday.

I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/CNC-Spindle-K...dp/B07JJNXC1F/ The VFD came pre-configured and the spindle runs smoothly but TIR is about 0.0007 measured at the collet taper. This is a lot when using small cutters. I think that my 1hp spindle will be more than sufficient for small engraving cutters.