585,752 active members*
3,942 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > UCCNC Control Software > UC100: Advise on DB25 Breakout Board *With* Built-in Stepper Drivers

UC100: Advise on DB25 Breakout Board *With* Built-in Stepper Drivers

I've been building a CNC router, and I think I want to settle on UCCNC. I've been playing with the software and it ticks a lot of the boxes on my list (except cutter comp... grrr!). Anyway, I like the UC100. It seems to cover everything I need. Question: can anyone recommend a DB25 breakout board that has built-in low amperage stepper drivers? I'm thinking something analogous to how a TinyG, or Smoothieboard, or RAMPS type device has drivers for direct wiring to stepper motors. My purpose would be to use it with small stepper motors to test with, workout configurations, etc - not build a machine per se, but having working mockups for "proof of concept" scenarios.

Thank you!

Re: UC100: Advise on DB25 Breakout Board *With* Built-in Stepper Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Bravin Neff View Post
    I've been building a CNC router, and I think I want to settle on UCCNC. I've been playing with the software and it ticks a lot of the boxes on my list (except cutter comp... grrr!). Anyway, I like the UC100. It seems to cover everything I need. Question: can anyone recommend a DB25 breakout board that has built-in low amperage stepper drivers? I'm thinking something analogous to how a TinyG, or Smoothieboard, or RAMPS type device has drivers for direct wiring to stepper motors. My purpose would be to use it with small stepper motors to test with, workout configurations, etc - not build a machine per se, but having working mockups for "proof of concept" scenarios.

Thank you!
    UCCNC test versions can do cutter compensation too: forum.cncdrive.com • View topic - UCCNC test releases posted in this thread

I have not used any of the mentioned integrated stepper boards. what I can advice though is to don't go with TB6560 based boards, those are all garbage. Better to run some discrete component drives like the DM422, M545 or similar ones. Yes, it will cost more than those supercheap one chip drives but they are much better too.

For breakout board you can use this with the UC100: CNCdrive - motion controls

Hi,
    the Gecko G540 is a combo of DB25 breakout board and four stepper drivers. Might suit you.....very popular unit with a great reliability rep.

https://www.geckodrive.com/g540-4-ax...per-drive.html

Craig

Did you see this? Looks like a motion controller and breakoutboard all in one.
    https://cncdrive.com/AXBB.html
    I do not see it in the webshop though.

Hmmmm….

Thanks everyone. Let me ask this again, and hopefully make my goal more clear: I want a breakout board with built in stepper drivers that's *cheap* because I am essentially going to waste money it... it will not be a part of my ultimate motion control. At the end I will use clearpath servos. So this intermediate solution is simply for testing with stepper motors (small ones, also cheap, mostly useless), because I just want to nail down configurations, prove a couple of things on the way to eventually getting a different DB25 breakout board that will intended for the clearpath motors.

Does such a thing exist?

I don't know any of those, except what Joeavarage linked the G540 and one more is the MX4660.
    Or you could use some stamp size little boards DRV8825 or similars, but those are really just toys and I don't know if there is any LPT port compatible integrated BOB with steppers.

Thank you for the help. Yes, it appears that perhaps what I am looking for doesn't exist. I found this device...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TTE3G3XQGG4GWX which seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but it has the TB6560 devices you mentioned are garbage.

It might simply be that what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

Do not use those TB6560 devices, they are really garbage and you will likely to have more headaches than success. save yourself some time with skipping them.
    I think something like this is still not too expensive and these at least work without issues: https://cnc4pc.com/digital-bipolar-s...dsp-based.html

Hi,

At the end I will use clearpath servos
    Quite frankly those servos are WAY too expensive for what they are. By virtue of having the driver built in they are convenient and useful and appear
    to be good quality.

What they lack is control flexibility, compare the control modes, indexing, monitoring, fault reporting and more available from a Delta or DMM servo and you'll
    realize that Clearpath have had to compromise.

Secondly they are costly for the output power. For example:
    CPM-SDSK-2331P-RLN costs $319 for a 193W servo.........whereas:
    DMM 400W DST servo/DYN2 drive/ cables costs $331 for 400w.

So you can get TWICE the power for essentially the same money.

May I suggest you do a little more research before stumping up for Clearpath servos.

DMM is a Canadian brand and have carved out a good reputation in the time they have been on the market. They manufacture in China and are
    compellingly priced.

Delta is a Taiwanese brand, excellent quality very flexible fully featured control software.

There are even cheaper Chinese brands, some I have had reports perform well but none has so far 'floated to the top'. Thus I have only recommended
    those two brands which can match the quality of Clearpath.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi, Quite frankly those servos are WAY too expensive for what they are.... May I suggest you do a little more research before stumping up for Clearpath servos. ...Craig
    Thanks or the advice. I will gladly research those. Some (not all) of the attraction to clearpath is, of course, the SD line that drop right into step/direction controller boards. The ubiquity of step/direction type controllers almost screams for some kind of clearpath type product, and I am glad they stepped up to the plate. Do the products you mention operate that way as well? The self-tuning is also a major plus.

Regards,
    Bravin Neff

Hi,

Do the products you mention operate that way as well? The self-tuning is also a major plus.
    Yes, the Delta and DMM servos can work as Step/Dir, CW/CCW and Quadrature position modes AND analogue voltage (or current) in both speed and torque modes.

In fact digital position mode, which includes SD, is the norm for modern servos, its the analogue inputs that are being deprecated. Just about all have
    either Ethercat, or Profibus or some other proprietary bus communication protocol and distributed motion control strategy as well. The extra-fruity stuff
    like that need not concern you or I but its in there!

In short modern AC servos are EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE. The Clearpath servos have reduced the breadth of control options and strategies from
    the industry norm.

Just as an example....I have a second hand Allen Bradley servo (1.8kW, 3500rpm, 6.2Nm cont) as a spindle motor. I have a primary control mode
    of Step/Direction. But I also have an analogue voltage speed mode as the secondary control strategy. Thus to switch my spindle from position
    mode (suitable for indexing and rigid tapping) to voltage controlled speed mode (suitable for normal milling) requires I assert one input pin high. So easy.
    Delta has the same feature. Not so sure about DMM but I suspect so.

Technics have done a very good job of marketing the Clearpath servo range as stepper replacements but the truth is that there are many brands which do equally
    well or even better but have never been pitched to the hobby market as stepper replacements.

In New Zealand there is a widely supported domestic auction site. On there I have noticed a guy who has four brand new Clearpath servos that he bought (with
    import documents, receipts, the works) trying to sell them because when he got them he found they were insufficient for the job. They had been pitched as stepper
    replacements and he expected them to have very strong torque at low speeds. But they are not steppers and the torque does not improve at low speeds. He is trying
    to sell them for $2000 NZD and not surprisingly had no takers. They are 50W units, had they been bigger I might have been interested myself, but $500 NZD each....
    for 50W???? For $500NZD I can buy 400w DMM units including shipping and import tax and have a more flexible device with EIGHT times the power.

Craig

Yeah, outside of the G540, your only options are the cheap TB boards, like this:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/CNC-3-Axis-Tb...-Hot/508804205

I agree that where the Clearpaths really shine is as a stepper retrofit. For a new design/build, AC servos offer a lot more for the same or less money.

And, unless you plan on using the UC100 for testing only, I'd highly recommend one of the ethernet controllers. UC400ETH, UC300ETH, or the new AXBB.
    The UC400 is only $25 more than the UC100, and offers double the I/O, higher pulse rates, and better noise immunity.

The latest test version of UCCNC has added a LOT of new features on top of cutter comp.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi,

I'd highly recommend one of the ethernet controllers. UC400ETH, UC300ETH, or the new AXBB
    I think Gerry has a very good point. I use Mach4 with an Ethernet Smoothstepper but the SmoothStepper has 51 inputs/outputs, still fewer
    that the UC300 but a few more than the UC400.

Having those extra inputs (particularly) cannot be underestimated.

For example I have three homes switches and six limit switches each with their own dedicated input, no trying to combine homing and limits
    and all of that sort of rubbish. Mach4 has four independent probe inputs, real handy, I only use two at the moment there again each on its own
    input pin.

A UC100 has the equivalent of one 'ports' worth of IO' that is five inputs and 12 outputs. You will run out of inputs real fast!

As far as the cost of a Gecko G540 goes......Gecko is a quality brand and is not cheap, that is true. If you buy a BoB ($20) and three separate drivers
    ($50 each), all Chinese, for a total of $170 you are rapidly approaching the price of a G540. At least the G540 will have resale value.

Craig

Great ideas guys. I need to weigh these things. I'll be honest, I'm highly motivated to keep the electrical side of things simpler. I don't know why, but I am simultaneously unafraid of the clearpath pricing while being quite averse to needing to become an electrical panel designer/engineer. The idea of not needing to design an electrical box with din rails and individual axis drives and all of that is another main attraction to the clearpath. I can be talked out of this thinking (and I'll be honest, you guys are doing a good starting it), but this is where my head has been for a while.

Regarding cutter comp, I have downloaded the current version and I don't seem to have it... is it to be found in a beta version?

CNC Drive is offering a free UCCNC license with purchase of a new AXBB controller (first 250 customers)

forum.cncdrive.com • View topic - New ethernet motion controller+breakout board combo release
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    CNC Drive is offering a free UCCNC license with purchase of a new AXBB controller (first 250 customers)

forum.cncdrive.com • View topic - New ethernet motion controller+breakout board combo release
    Thanks for the heads up, I just sprang for that. Good selling to me guys... you managed to get me to rethink certain areas where I have specifically leaned toward convenience: preferring USB over ethernet (UC100 vs the others), built-in drives over external ones (clearpath vs others), etc. There are technical arguments in favor of one over the other, but there are also costs: costs in complexity, learning curve, time and effort, etc. We will see how it goes!

I bought one as well, to use on my desk for testing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

It's not a single breakout board, but it is cheap. I've been playing with some A4988 driver boards on another project, they can be wired pretty minimally with four wires to a small stepper, step and direction signals, logic and stepper power and maybe a couple of lines to set the microstepping level. Best bit is they're only a couple bucks each. You might need to buy a breadboard and some wire to hook it all up but, if it's as temporary as what you're saying, you'll have the UC100 driving steppers for about twenty bucks. Search A4988 on fleaBay.

dharmic, thanks for the info. It appears I have some learning and wiring to do! LOL.