585,662 active members*
3,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Question about lubrication requirements

Question about lubrication requirements

My employer has two Fadals which I'm running. One is a 1993 3016 that has a single lubrication reservoir, pneumatically operated. The other is a 1985 4020 which has a manually operated pump/reservoir for the way lube and above it, a Bijur (pneumatic) "Mist Lubricator" which I assume is for the spindle (Two clear canisters, left for air filter and right for oil). Prior to my arrival at the company, they always used way lube (Mobil Vactra #2) in all three reservoirs.

My question is, how is the 1993 model getting spindle lubrication (Or are the spindle bearings sealed)? The machine isn't drawing spindle lubrication from the single (Way lube) reservoir, is it?

I know that Way Oil and Spindle Oil are extremely different products. Without getting into specific chemistry, Way Oil is high viscosity for resisting the heavy loads between machine surfaces. Spindle Oil is very thin for operating in fine, precision bearings. They shouldn't have been putting the Vactra #2 in the 4020's "Mist Lubricator" (Assuming that's for the spindle), right? Some one told them it was okay to used the Vactra #2 in everything - don't see how that can be alright.

Other archived discussions I've looked through here seem to agree that Mobil Vactra #2 should be used for the Ways, and Mobil DTE 797 for the spindle. Mention is also made of the High/Low Speed mechanism using Mobil DTE Heavy Medium. I don't see any other reservoirs on these two machines - what about this spec for the High/Low?

In summary: 1) Does the 1993 machine not need spindle oil? (It's not using the Way lube for that, right?). 2) Shouldn't we be using a spindle oil in the 1985 machine instead of Way lube (This has to be bad, right?). Please verify that the Bijur Mist Lubricator IS for the spindle (The manual lubricator below is clearly for the ways - I can follow the tubes.). 3) What about the High/Low Speed lubrication - does that apply to these two machines?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Re: Question about lubrication requirements

Your 1993 machine has a grease pack spindle, pneumatically operated lube for the ways and screws.

Your 1985 was originally air oil spindle, the mist unit should have spindle oil. It may be unnecessary it the spindle has been replaced with a grease pack unit.
    The lube pump on the 1985 mill might have a clock motor driven pump with a manual prime handle?

Also use Vactra #2 for the ways and turbine oil for the spindle lube. Mobil products are the best in my opinion.

Thanks for the input. I called Fadal, as well, and of course they said Vactra 2 for the screws/ways and Turbine oil (Was DTE 797, now replaced by DTE 732) for the spindle. I've got my boss convinced, but his only concern is changing now and what might happen - and the company he bought the machine from always ran the Vactra 2 in the spindle (!!). I called Mobil and asked tech support about simply draining the Vactra 2 from the Bijur reservoir and replacing with the Turbine oil - not completely purging and cleaning the system. He couldn't comment, as the two products are completely different and no compatibility data is available. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mwbridgwater View Post
    Thanks for the input. I called Fadal, as well, and of course they said Vactra 2 for the screws/ways and Turbine oil (Was DTE 797, now replaced by DTE 732) for the spindle. I've got my boss convinced, but his only concern is changing now and what might happen - and the company he bought the machine from always ran the Vactra 2 in the spindle (!!). I called Mobil and asked tech support about simply draining the Vactra 2 from the Bijur reservoir and replacing with the Turbine oil - not completely purging and cleaning the system. He couldn't comment, as the two products are completely different and no compatibility data is available. Any thoughts?
    I wouldn't worry to much about it. Id just run it down low and then start filling with the proper stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much about it. Id just run it down low and then start filling with the proper stuff.
    Agreed, just dump the reservoir and fill it back up with Turbine oil. The system will flush out the Vactra #2.

FadalCNC.com Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by mwbridgwater View Post
    My employer has two Fadals which I'm running. One is a 1993 3016 that has a single lubrication reservoir, pneumatically operated. The other is a 1985 4020 which has a manually operated pump/reservoir for the way lube and above it, a Bijur (pneumatic) "Mist Lubricator" which I assume is for the spindle (Two clear canisters, left for air filter and right for oil). Prior to my arrival at the company, they always used way lube (Mobil Vactra #2) in all three reservoirs.

My question is, how is the 1993 model getting spindle lubrication (Or are the spindle bearings sealed)? The machine isn't drawing spindle lubrication from the single (Way lube) reservoir, is it?

I know that Way Oil and Spindle Oil are extremely different products. Without getting into specific chemistry, Way Oil is high viscosity for resisting the heavy loads between machine surfaces. Spindle Oil is very thin for operating in fine, precision bearings. They shouldn't have been putting the Vactra #2 in the 4020's "Mist Lubricator" (Assuming that's for the spindle), right? Some one told them it was okay to used the Vactra #2 in everything - don't see how that can be alright.

Other archived discussions I've looked through here seem to agree that Mobil Vactra #2 should be used for the Ways, and Mobil DTE 797 for the spindle. Mention is also made of the High/Low Speed mechanism using Mobil DTE Heavy Medium. I don't see any other reservoirs on these two machines - what about this spec for the High/Low?

In summary: 1) Does the 1993 machine not need spindle oil? (It's not using the Way lube for that, right?). 2) Shouldn't we be using a spindle oil in the 1985 machine instead of Way lube (This has to be bad, right?). Please verify that the Bijur Mist Lubricator IS for the spindle (The manual lubricator below is clearly for the ways - I can follow the tubes.). 3) What about the High/Low Speed lubrication - does that apply to these two machines?

Thanks for your help,

Mark
    Well, try to follow good lubrication practice only and use high quality lubricants. Way Oil and Spindle Oil both are different but i thinking applying the right practice with quality would make sense and improve the life of your machinery. I Have seem some Good Lubrication options on Micro Lube, just look here too for future lubrication solutions. They have oil storage and filtration systems that are good for our machineries.