584,842 active members*
4,471 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam Stock awareness problem in 2017-2019

Mastercam Stock awareness problem in 2017-2019

A lot of the problems I have that eat time are related to trying to tell mastercam where the tool could get into the cut for the more complex operations. Dynamic here wouldn't build a path. I'm in mill turn and just posted a Y axis face op, and this operation is using the same planes combo as that, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a planes issue- Mill-turn is supposed to be immune to planes issues also and it's pretty good at that. I spent 45 minutes last night, I'm here Saturday and I just blew an hour and I'm giving up on that operation now.

The Dynamic operation won't let me pick the stock operation, because it doesn't display it in the dialogue here. I just don't understand why Mastercam would NOT want the software in lathe or mill turn to talk to mill stock automatically, because it should just know there is a giant whole in the middle of the part that is 11.5 times the diameter of the end mill I wanted to drop in there- because I cut that hole in this program higher in the tree. It seems like most of the dynamic mill problems are not bad code posting, but are just no code posting at all, which is a harder problem to work with. I wish the tool would just post something a lot of the time. You get into an hour and a half and you say, "geeze I'm going to pour so much human time at this that whatever I save will be pointless." Dynamic Optirough isn't applicable here because it does stepdowns and step ups which are unnecessary here. I needed to get in, cut that and get out as fast as possible. That's the deal most of the time.

Every year for 3 years I've been hoping for Mastercam to become stock aware without the customer doing cartwheels and standing on their head for it when they need it, and it just keeps not happening. The dynamic tools are great when they work, and they are absolutely horrible when they don't because you've seen them work so you (or in this case I) spend way too much time trying to resolve an unresolvable dynamic operation typically.

Re: Mastercam Stock awareness problem in 2017-2019

So Austin, is this just a complaint with know question? Now with such a small amound of stock and the size of your tool. Using stock is really not going to do much for you. I would like to see this file for that area to review a few details as you would like to see more equal cuts.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Dynamic is really bad with using stock ops in milling.

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    So Austin, is this just a complaint with know question? Now with such a small amound of stock and the size of your tool. Using stock is really not going to do much for you. I would like to see this file for that area to review a few details as you would like to see more equal cuts.

I just don't understand why sometimes I can click the line as an air region and the tool works great, and other times hours later you realize hey it's never going to work. What gives? Why can't it just work smooth? What's the problem with it? And why can't it just understand stock at this point? Is that even a mastercam objective?

We don't want to cut air 30% of the time. That doesn't make the run time shorter. Twin turret machine with imbalanced path, that other half of the machine is just waiting for work.

Quote Originally Posted by CadCamSam View Post
    Dynamic is really bad with using stock ops in milling.
    What tool is good for using stock and going to the floor and making the cut in one depth cut to get it done fast? You could custom code a bunch of contours, but then you get retracts on every pass, and you murdered your time for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Green0 View Post
    What tool is good for using stock and going to the floor and making the cut in one depth cut to get it done fast? You could custom code a bunch of contours, but then you get retracts on every pass, and you murdered your time for that too.
    Welcome to the "mastercam tax". It's what greatly increases the TCO after users thought they were getting a great deal because the up front cost was less than other systems.
    NX 10.0.3

I don't know if this will work in your application. I have had success saving the stock as a separate STL file, and using the STL to define the stock. Run the program in Verify up to the point that you want to define as the stock and there is a option to save it as a STL file. Under stock conditions for dynamic choose a single solid file and select the STL file you just created. I havent had success using it with regular 2D dynamic toolpaths. My experience has been it will work with the Opticore type toolpaths and\or maybe Restmill.

Quote Originally Posted by ERUS View Post
    I don't know if this will work in your application. I have had success saving the stock as a separate STL file, and using the STL to define the stock. Run the program in Verify up to the point that you want to define as the stock and there is a option to save it as a STL file. Under stock conditions for dynamic choose a single solid file and select the STL file you just created. I havent had success using it with regular 2D dynamic toolpaths. My experience has been it will work with the Opticore type toolpaths and\or maybe Restmill.

Instead of doing that, in lathe, use the stock preview operation. That will give you an actual solid instead of an STL. Much easier to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Infinite Loop View Post
    Welcome to the "mastercam tax". It's what greatly increases the TCO after users thought they were getting a great deal because the up front cost was less than other systems.
    Which other systems? I want to know what works. I feel Mastercam can't stay on top like this for long. Someone has got to understand how to save people time.

Quote Originally Posted by ERUS View Post
    As with most things Mastercam, I don't follow it, it's too technical for the people who buy it. I just hired a guy though- I'll have him check this out and maybe he can understand that. Thanks for the input. It's stupid Mastercam is so complicated that talking about it doesn't even make sense to the customers.