585,597 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > UCCNC Control Software > UC300ETH-5LPT with MX3660 - Crazy Stepper motor behavior. Need help
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: UC300ETH-5LPT with MX3660 - Crazy Stepper motor behavior. Need help

Thanks! At the DB25 connector there are 2 switches. Is the switch 2 ticked to "ON" position? If not, then you need to set the charge pump output to port 2 pin 16 in UCCNC/Configuration/IO setup.

Quote Originally Posted by dezsoe View Post
    Thanks! At the DB25 connector there are 2 switches. Is the switch 2 ticked to "ON" position? If not, then you need to set the charge pump output to port 2 pin 16 in UCCNC/Configuration/IO setup.
    Yep! I turned switch 2 to the ON position for the Charge Pump on the MX3660.0

Colt,

Can you test this with a different driver? Or as breakout board? I have seen many signal coupling issues with the MX3660.

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com

Hey Arturod,

I'm afraid the UC300ETH5LPT and the MX3660 are the only drivers and breakout boards that I have. Also, the strange and erratic behavior happens on the I/O monitor for UCCNC and the Output monitor on Mach3. With nothing but power and Ethernet plugged in to the UC300ETH5LPT, so independently of the MX3660. I can try and order a parallel port from Amazon or something to get here. But I also think by the time I do that I could have a new UC300 and 5LPT sent.

I also mentioned that there was a slightly burnt smell when I turned on the UC300ETH the first time. Yes I made sure it was 5 volts, and yes I used a high quality charger (manufactured by Google).

I also put in a support ticket with you guys as well

Quote Originally Posted by Colt4587 View Post
    Hey Arturod,

I'm afraid the UC300ETH5LPT and the MX3660 are the only drivers and breakout boards that I have. Also, the strange and erratic behavior happens on the I/O monitor for UCCNC and the Output monitor on Mach3. With nothing but power and Ethernet plugged in to the UC300ETH5LPT, so independently of the MX3660.

I also mentioned that there was a slightly burnt smell when I turned on the UC300ETH the first time. Yes I made sure it was 5 volts, and yes I used a high quality charger (manufactured by Google).

I also put in a support ticket with you guys as well
    Please explain that "strange and erratic behavior". What do you see that you think is erratic?

Colt,

Yes, we have a ticket for you and we are waiting for more info. I tried going through all the thread, but the issue is still no clear to me how it is behaving. Please clarify, do you see action on output pins without commanding or activating anything?

Arturo Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by arturod View Post
    Colt,

Yes, we have a ticket for you and we are waiting for more info. I tried going through all the thread, but the issue is still no clear to me how it is behaving. Please clarify, do you see action on output pins without commanding or activating anything?

Arturo Duncan

Yes, sometimes the motors will move randomly without being commanded. Sometimes the motors will keep moving in one direction even after I've stopped commanding them to, and there is no movement on the DRO in the software. X axis never moves. Sometimes both the Y and the Z move together. Sometimes I can get them to move one direction with Z axis down, and then they will both move the other direction with Y axis up

I have also completely removed the MX3660 and the motors from the equation. I have been using the port/pin monitoring function on UCCNC and Mach3's software to view how the ports are being output. You can see photos of which in Post #12.

I think it might be more helpful to speak over the phone if possible. Might be easier to explain what I am seeing.

Colt,

All clear. Yes, very strange, and this random motion you can see it in the diagnostics screen.

Let me check on this, and we will get back to you.

Arturo Duncan

Yeah,

The erratic pin behavior is visible on the screen, for both UCCNC and Mach3, although the behavior is slightly different.

The question is what do you see on the port/pin monitor that you think is erratic?
    You know you can't see the step signals because they are short signals only.
    What is that you seeing and you think that should not be there? I would like to know to help you. It is hard to help if you not sharing information.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    The question is what do you see on the port/pin monitor that you think is erratic?
    You know you can't see the step signals because they are short signals only.
    What is that you seeing and you think that should not be there? I would like to know to help you. It is hard to help if you not sharing information.
    I'm not for sure what more you want me to share? Post #12 has screenshots and information, as does Post #27 in response to the vendor.

I do not have an Oscilloscope to do the in-depth testing that you are asking. I have never needed one and I don't really want to spend that kind of money on a one-off troubleshooting thing.

I do appreciate that you are trying to help me.

Sorry, I forgot about that you posted those already.
    It is really strange. Can you try the whole thing with another computer?

Sorry, I forgot about that you posted those already.
    It is really strange. Can you try the whole thing with another computer?
    It's all good!

Yes, I can try with my laptop when I get home. I'll give that a shot and update when I get home.

Just to make sure it is not issues with the communication. If it acts the same strange way on another computer then I think you will be ready to request a replacement motion controller.

Just to make sure it is not issues with the communication. If it acts the same strange way on another computer then I think you will be ready to request a replacement motion controller.
    Yep! I agree, it's one thing I haven't tested out yet. I should probably buy a parallel port card to for one of my older computers. Might be useful in testing now, and possibly in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by arturod View Post
    Colt,

All clear. Yes, very strange, and this random motion you can see it in the diagnostics screen.

Let me check on this, and we will get back to you.

Arturo Duncan
    *****EDIT****: Sorry Arturo, I did not see your response on my ticket on your website, i will speak with you there.

Good Morning Arturo,

I don't mean to rush you guys at all. But if possible I would like to get this resolved before this weekend, just because it's my best time to work on this project . But I also understand if that's not possible.

Thank you!

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let you know that it was the either the motion controller or the motherboard. They sent me a new set and it works great!

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 12