585,715 active members*
3,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Toolchanger vs Multipart /Offsets
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Toolchanger vs Multipart /Offsets

All my parts have the same Z0, on the first ops, then the part is put on a fixture and the second ops run, would that be the difference, a different Z0 for the second side?
    A G54 for the first side and a G55 for the second side? If this is the case then it would eliminate having to set Z0 again for the second side?
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    All my parts have the same Z0, on the first ops, then the part is put on a fixture and the second ops run, would that be the difference, a different Z0 for the second side?
    A G54 for the first side and a G55 for the second side? If this is the case then it would eliminate having to set Z0 again for the second side?
    Yes,

I use a few cam strategies for offsets to generate code and make parts.

1) Single vise using a different offset g54-g59x for each side of part. This would be same as above. Then at mill I would run code for each side using repeatable vise work stops. Each time I flip the part to new side I set new g5? x,y,z offsets for up to 6 or more sides. The mill now has learned or stored all the offsets for this complete part. Then next part I just load the vise with stock and run code. Each time the code finishes that side I flip or reposition the stock and continue code until finished part. I use pictures from cam simulation to show me how the part is flipped and where the g5? offset it located. PP even has the ability to reference the pictures during code execution and show them on the control screen to prompt you. Makes multi sided complex parts a breeze to do months later. Even after you have done many other setups and parts. If you take the time to set it up with pictures btw I use screen clips for all the strategies noted here at mill to aid in getting it done right, but no display in pp just a small tablet computer for pictures and reference. Simple and fast

2) Two or more vises or fixtures and a offset for each of those fixtures. Then completing one side of part at each of those fixture locations. The process for setting the offsets is a little different. I load the fixtures with stock and locate all the g5? x,y,z fixture offsets then run the program and it performs all the operations at each offset. You end up with one side completed on 2 or more parts.

3) Two or more vises or fixtures and a g5? offset for each of those fixtures. Then completing a different side of part at each of those fixture offset locations, thus ending up with a finished part. "picked this strategy up on this forum" The process for teaching or setting the offsets is much like number 1. You load and run only first fixture code. Then I load 2nd fixture with part from first fixture and load new material in first fixture and run code for both fixture offsets. Repeat this for the number of sides/ fixtures/offsets that make up the part program and you end up with finished part on last fixture in series.
    Then if part run is done I run code for the last couple offsets/locations only to complete the last few sides of the last few parts.

4) Custom made fixture that uses 1 offset like g54 with many operations repeated in a pattern on the fixture at some predefined distance. This is the most simple way to complete ONE side of as many parts as you can fit on a fixture and hold in place. My cam software makes this very straight forward process and by far the best way to mass produce. If the part has more then 1 side then a custom fixture would need to be made for each side of part but all run in batches and only one offset like g54 would be required no matter how many parts.

5) Same as Number 4 with multiple custom fixtures. Each fixture has a g5? offset with a repeated pattern of operations on each fixture/offset. This is decent way to do mixed batches of different parts or more then one side of large batches of parts without changing fixtures or offsets.

I setup templates in cam software for each of the above strategies ready to go, saves a little work. Still the first 3 strategies can take a great deal of time to setup and get right. Number 4 and 5 are easy to setup cam wise but it takes planning and other programs to build custom fixtures and of course small parts that fit in soft jaws or clamped on fixture plates .

And my opinion for keen is a ATC would only complement any of the above code/offset/fixture strategies. And as TS mentioned I think you are more then qualified to get a ATC working correctly and get your moneys worth

Thanks for all the replies, I think I have it now, I just have never used it.

I will experiment with this so that I understand it. I make mostly small parts in multiples, machining all the ops on one side, then place the stick of parts on a fixture and run a separate program to machine side B.

thanks again..........
    mike sr

Page 2 of 2 12