585,604 active members*
3,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Moving Milltronics MB20

Moving Milltronics MB20

Hi, just recently purchased a 1998 Milltronics MB20 with Centurion 6 controller. Just wondered if you guys have any advice on safest way to have shipped and unloaded. Machine is being loaded on truck by riggers and shipped by freight to me. Riggers said machine would be put on a pallet, head blocked up and that it would be tarped. Once I get it I was planning on unloading pallet with forklift and using steel round bar stock to put through the holes on the base of the machine front and rear to use for lifting the machine off the pallet and setting in place. Does this sound right? Anything I’m missing or that you guys would recommend doing differently. I attached some pics I found online. It’s where I got the bar stock idea from and blocking head. Thanks!

msmf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 67D5B401-01CF-49DB-AAEF-84E796B50102.jpg   61BCF063-5982-42D1-8A07-D01987CF2F14.jpg  

Re: Moving Milltronics MB20

It sounds like you have a well thought out plan. The only thing I can add is to lift from the back when unloading if possible. That's where most of the weight is. Once it's in your shop, then you can pick from the front to set it in place if needed.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    It sounds like you have a well thought out plan. The only thing I can add is to lift from the back when unloading if possible. That's where most of the weight is. Once it's in your shop, then you can pick from the front to set it in place if needed.

Thanks Jim! Good to know. I will get off the truck by lifting from back of the machine but will have to get it from the front when positioning in shop. The head was ran to the top when they pulled power from machine. They said they would still make sure it’s blocked up though. Do you see this causing any problems?

Well it does move the CG higher so it will be more top heavy so requires a bit more care while moving. As long as you have enough overhead clearance no problem there. Normally I would prefer that the head on the bottom and blocked.

When we brought the Haas in, we picked from the back under the machine. Moved it into to place, then picked it from the top and spun it around.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by morespeedmorefeed View Post
    Thanks Jim! Good to know. I will get off the truck by lifting from back of the machine but will have to get it from the front when positioning in shop. The head was ran to the top when they pulled power from machine. They said they would still make sure it’s blocked up though. Do you see this causing any problems?
    The only problem is when moving it having the head up is never a good idea

That was very dumb of the rigger to have the head up, it really needs to be down, with using the bars make sure they can't slide in the holes a collar will help with this and on the ends as well
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The only problem is when moving it having the head up is never a good idea

That was very dumb of the rigger to have the head up, it really needs to be down, with using the bars make sure they can't slide in the holes a collar will help with this and on the ends as well
    Ok, I like the collar idea. I’ll have to grab some. Was thinking of clamping the bars to the forks of the lift with some boiler clamps. Not sure how great that will work without flats on the bars? I would have preferred the head down myself. Just makes sense but machine has already been removed from power and new machine in its place so owner didn’t want to put in another drop for temporary power. Is there a way to manually move the head down?

Hi MORE, CAUTION. This head has a counter weight. That weight needs to be supported when moving. There are holes in the side of the column and a hole thru the weight. a 1/2 ready rod and some nuts / washers works OK. With out support, and those chains break, that weight WILL come down and RUIN YOUR WHOLE YEAR. before moving the machine. get power back on and set the counter weight then lower the head and block behind the spindle nose. center the X and Y axis before blocking Z.

If you rigger argues the point, find a different rigger. Or make sure he is insured up the wassu. has state license and workers comp etc. . get a signed contract you will thank me when it all goes to hell.

Call me.

Bob M
    952-288-6340