584,837 active members*
5,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Other Machine Topics > Thermo CRS F3 robotic arm with C500C controller

Thermo CRS F3 robotic arm with C500C controller

hello I need some help with my new to me Thermo CRS F3 robotic arm I am trying to run the robot without any CRS software. Or I am looking for a copy of any of the 3 CRS softwares. the titles are CRS RAPL-3, CRS ActiveRobot, or CRS Robcomm3.
    Also I am trying to run the arm thru the C500C controller by connecting to the controller with a serial terminal. But I really am out of my depth on that. It is supposed to be possible, I have a Linux machine with PUTTY , but I don't know how to get started there
    I have a links and copies of all the CRS user guides if any one needs those.

So if there are any CRS F3 operators out there that can help me out It would be appreciated.

So far I have a few problems
    the Arm power button will not come on. this could be major hardware problem or hopefully the arm power was deactivated in the controller software by the last user.

the controller powers up with no error messages, but the controller is supposed to finish its boot up with " CRS CROS ok" mine finishes the boot with "CRS CROS" the " ok is missing. I don't know if this is a error on its own, or if it is another LCD display problem This is the little LCD on the controller itself very small maybe 2 lines and 20 or 30 characters

The teach pendant is alive but the LCD display is inop. I should be able to operate the arm with the teach pendant, but I don't have a display , and I still cant get the " arm power" to activate

again any help is appreciated
    thanks

Re: Thermo CRS F3 robotic arm with C500C controller

Quote Originally Posted by dieselxj View Post
    hello I need some help with my new to me Thermo CRS F3 robotic arm I am trying to run the robot without any CRS software. Or I am looking for a copy of any of the 3 CRS softwares. the titles are CRS RAPL-3, CRS ActiveRobot, or CRS Robcomm3.
    Also I am trying to run the arm thru the C500C controller by connecting to the controller with a serial terminal. But I really am out of my depth on that. It is supposed to be possible, I have a Linux machine with PUTTY , but I don't know how to get started there
    I have a links and copies of all the CRS user guides if any one needs those.

So if there are any CRS F3 operators out there that can help me out It would be appreciated.

So far I have a few problems
    the Arm power button will not come on. this could be major hardware problem or hopefully the arm power was deactivated in the controller software by the last user.

the controller powers up with no error messages, but the controller is supposed to finish its boot up with " CRS CROS ok" mine finishes the boot with "CRS CROS" the " ok is missing. I don't know if this is a error on its own, or if it is another LCD display problem This is the little LCD on the controller itself very small maybe 2 lines and 20 or 30 characters

The teach pendant is alive but the LCD display is inop. I should be able to operate the arm with the teach pendant, but I don't have a display , and I still cant get the " arm power" to activate

again any help is appreciated
    thanks
    Hi, Any luck finding software?

Cheers

Hello Gordax, yes I got a copy. but it did not really help. Are you a CRS operator???? I was able to get the arm powered up, through the pendant, I am pretty sure it was powered off on the pendant (which works, but has a bad display). So I just got dumb blind lucky button pushing on the pendant blindly. I have been able to get the arm to move single axis at a time through a Linux terminal. I thought I had a program written, but I can not figure out the syntax for the programming, so it will not load. It has been a while since I have mucked around with it . I was having trouble with figuring out the difference between a shell and a application and a program, that sort of thing.
    Also I have been working a bit with a 3rd party program/controller called "RoboDK" Also not successful with that either, but I really did not do much work with it.
    The arm is sort of on the back burner, I am trying to get my traditional shop back up and running after Hurricane Harvey.
    If you are a CRS operator and know the programming I would like to learn.

thanks

Hi Dieselxj, I am sorry to hear that you were affected by hurricane Harvey, that was a horrible event. I have just got a CRS A465 arm with the C500C controller and no pendant, although it won't arrive for a week or so. I am intending to nut it out with the help of a few colleagues in the robotic field. I obtained the Robcomm3 software and I was going to see if it was suitable for you, but when I tried to install it on a XP system I found I had missing files. I am currently trying to get another full copy from that same supplier. I will keep in touch on how I get on and I will share any insight.

Cheers

so perhaps we are in the same boat so to speak. I know a robotics guy as well. he does not have enough patience to help me though. He is trying to get me into LINUX ROS. set up. for me that is just too much new stuff at once.
    It is Funny ( sad funny ) that we have to go so far back to get these machines to work. when I got this F3 arm, I was having windows 10 problems . the guy that sold me the Robcomm, told me not to even try and load it on anything newer than XP. I think these were designed for one generation older than XP maybe windows NT? Just ancient stuff. The Robcomm was not really worth it as near as I can tell, If you know what you are doing I think it is just as easy to work off a " Terminal " set up . I am using "PUTTY". So I ended up with a windows 10 repair, and a windows XP reboot on a machine I put Linux on, and a new used laptop with a newer Linux install to maybe run ROS, or LinuxCNC. so 3 laptops and none of them work the Arm.
    You might look into the RoboDK set up. they have a direct model for the A465. If I go with RoboDK , I think I will have to make a custom set up combining the language from the A465, and a KUKA K03? the Kuka is apparently a CRS F3 with a different paint job and a Kuka controller / language.

Please keep me posted I guess here, about how you are getting on. I still want to get my arm up and running, so far it looks like RoboDK might be my best bet. There is a guy on YouTube that made a custom PYTHON controller for a F3

good luck

Hi Dieselxj, My robot arrived last week and I have got it powered up, homing and moving single axis.

Did you fix your arm power button, mine had same problem and it was to do with an extra e-stop that was not connected, i bridged it and it was fine. I can give you specifics if you need.

Also is there any way I can get a copy of the Robcom software off you (I may need it for calibration)?

Cheers

hey Gordax, good to hear you are making progress. I am also making some headway, but very very slowly. if you don't mind try and set up your private message account on here , I tried to send you a message. I don't know if Robcomm3 will help with your calibration, do you have a terminal emulator set up? have you tried " calrdy " and " /diag/encres " page 82 and 83 on F3 user guide. Also have you been able to monitor your startup in a serial terminal monitor. the start up will give a lot of system status about memory and encoders and such

have fun

hey Gordax did you get my PM, I sent you 2, but they don' show up as sent on my end. I did receive your PM
    thanks

Hi, did you manage to get anywhere with your project? Im currently working on a CRS robotic arm with C500C Controller. Im trying to obtain a copy of the CRS software, do you have a contact were i may be able to purchase or obtain a copy. Would be interesting to hear where you got to with your robotics

Hola, pudiste conseguir alguna copia ?