584,817 active members*
4,875 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Dxf2gcode question...?

Does anyone here know anything about dxf2gcode? There appears to be no help or instructions on the web - the wiki page just lists the headings of the parameters without specifying what they do.

In particular, I am having problems with the Z axis. The generated G code makes the Z axis go up and down like a yo-yo. There are several parameters in the set-up:

1 - Retraction Co-ordinate
    2 - Safety Margin
    3 - Work-piece origin Co-ordinate
    4 - Slice Depth
    5 - Final Mill depth

I guess that these refer to

1 - Height that the tool can move at
    2 - ?
    3 - height of top of work-piece
    4 - depth for each slice
    5 - maximum depth that tool should go.

But when I fill these in with sensible figures, the Z axis seems to rise and fall by varying amounts which seem to depend on a calculation using these figures. I am doing a simple 2-D cut, I simply want the tool to retract to -10 for movement and drop to -14 for cutting (absolute). What should I fill in to achieve this?

Re: Dxf2gcode question...?

Haven't used it personally and as you say, doesn't seem to be a lot of information for this.

There is a user guide at: https://sourceforge.net/p/dxf2gcode/...e%20DXF2GCODE/
    which also has a link to a user forum.

If your intent is to read DXF files and generate GCode, there are other options.

A lot of folks use Fusion 360, vCarve [Pro] and there are others:

Have a look at some of these:

SimplyCam: MR-Soft Nc Software Tools

GrblGru: The Author does not have a web site but the software package is very interesting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/278a8a5uu9...anual.pdf?dl=0

A few samples of Linux tools: LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Simple LinuxCNC G-Code Generators

Is there something specific you are trying to do?

I simply edit the g code in text file. Do a find and replace for the z position.

I must admit to looking at Dxf2gcode some years ago and I thought it was great to be able to take the shape I wanted,offset it by a cutter radius and then tell the program to produce the Gcode for the shape that resulted.At the time I didn't have a home machine.These days I do and I use Freecad to model my parts and then use the Path workbench to generate the code.It works every time and if I change anything,it regenerates the toolpath almost instantly.