584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Do I need a larger breaker in my house ? How do you keep track of power consumption?

Question Do I need a larger breaker in my house ? How do you keep track of power consumption?

Hows it going guys, so I am pretty new to the CNC world and I have been doing quite a bit a research on different stepper motors, drivers, control boards, ect. My only concern is that I dont know if my house can provide all that power without triggering a circuit breaker. Just as an example, I was looking at this kit (https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-EU-FREE...2f53af53e37d49) and the power supplies are rated at 350W each and there are three of them not including the VFD. Thats around 1000 Watts, not including the VFD, and if my house has a 20A beaker with a 110V output then I have 2200 Watts right ? I have a fridge and some other components in the garage that are connected to that breaker. So I guess my main question is how do you guys keep track of how much power these machines are drawing, can I just add up the wattages of all the components ? should I get an electrician to put a larger breaker in my house? As you might of noticed by now that I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to electricity.

Re: Do I need a larger breaker in my house ? How do you keep track of power consumpti

Not sure what kind of machine you are looking at, but there's a good chance that those motors would be a terrible choice. Bigger is NOT better when it comes to steppers.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Do I need a larger breaker in my house ? How do you keep track of power consumpti

Thanks for the feedback. Care to elaborate as to why bigger is not better when it comes to stepper motors.

A breaker alone does not do, there is also cable sizing.
    I assume you have at least a 100amp panel?
    Most are 200amp now, you may have to run a separate circuit, If you do, run a 240v supply this also gives 120v and more options.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by umfan110 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Care to elaborate as to why bigger is not better when it comes to stepper motors.
    Because those motors lose torque very fast. Look at the torque curve in the ad. When you hit 300 RPM you have already lost almost 1/2 of the torque rating .

As an example for comparison, The Automation Technologies 640 oz-in stepper produces more torque at 700 rpm than the 1700 oz-in motor you have linked (200 oz-in vs 150 oz-in)

So unless you application is for lower rpm, you may be better off with a smaller motor.