584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

OMNI 1530 Spindle air pressure

My OMNI 1530 has been up and running for about a month now. A few days ago I tried to resurface my spoil board and the depth was all over the place. The bit was slowly sinking deeper over the first half of the table and then suddenly raised back up fairly quickly. I've seen this same pattern as I've run parts since then. I suspect it's the spindle that's the source of the problem (and not the vacuum). There appears to be a pressure regulator for the spindle, but the manual from OMNI does not provide any instructions on what to set it at. Currently, it's set very low (almost to zero).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spindle air.jpg  

Re: OMNI 1530 Spindle air pressure

Well is the z on an air assist? Mine is just on a lead screw so to do what you are saying the servo would need to be randomly moving.

That would normally produce a servo error anyway so not sure what would be the problem. If you have Steppers and air assist on the z then maybe it is an air issue and losing steps. Sort of need more information.

Graham

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Yes, the lead screw sets the depth. The depth variance I noticed is about 1/32". My suspicion (which could be totally wrong) is that the spindle uses air pressure to suck the tool into place and that perhaps there isn't sufficient pressure to hold it in place. That's why I want to know what that second regulator on the right side of the image I posted is for. The first regulator is set to 90PSI, which is what the manual says it should be. But the manual doesn't say anything about the other regulator. The spindle is an HSD E951.

No I think the air releases the clamp, otherwise my tools would fall out at night....

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
    In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

As I understand it, the z slide for all omni machines is a ball screw driven. On my machine with an HSD 951 there are two regulators for the air supply to the spindle, one is set to 6-7 bar for the tool release and tool lock supplies, the other is set to 4-5 bar for the cone cleaning. When the spindle is powered off, the tool is still firmly clamped, so I would be surprised if the the tool would lower by 1/32" if the tool was successfully clamped. After the spoilboard has been surfaced is the tool secured in the spindle? I suspect the spoil board is rising. Is the 1/32" difference a step or gradual?
    cuttingedgecnc.co.uk
    [email protected]

The spindle needs air pressure to release the tool cone by pushing against spring pressure , imagine a clutch pencil. So I doubt it’s that and in any case you would have got a controller error saying tool clamping failure if anything was amiss, even slight. Mdf spoil boards do warp but generally at the edges and not in the middle.
    I’d suggest doing a tool measure and screenshot before you started cutting then afterwards to see if there’s tool movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk