585,991 active members*
5,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > General Off Topic Discussions > 8,000# Machine Delivery on Asphalt Driveway

8,000# Machine Delivery on Asphalt Driveway

I am looking to put a CNC mill in my detached garage that is in my back yard. I have an asphalt driveway that goes around the side of the house and to the back yard right to the garage.

I had a rigger come out and take a look and he is worried about the weight of the forklift and the asphalt drive. The driveway is probably less than 5 years old and in good shape.

He suggested putting down 3/4" plywood and moving it along under the forklift but still had concerns.

What can I do to avoid damage to the driveway?

Thanks

Re: 8,000# Machine Delivery on Asphalt Driveway

I work in construction, we have in the past put down double or even triple layers of plywood. Unless you can get a smaller lift or an offroad type lift that has bigger tires then you are definitely risking not only damage to the driveway but also getting the lift stuck. Traditional fork lifts don't deal well with soft conditions. Perhaps you live in an area where the ground freezes? That would help your situation.

Use a reach forklift. Nice big tires, with a light footprint on the ground.

Here is my VMC coming home.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Great suggestions. Looks like I need to contact a couple different riggers. The guy I spoke with didn't offer the reach fork lift...probably because he doesn't have one.

The good thing is that I am still looking for a machine, just trying to get everything lined up so that when a deal comes along I have all the logistics worked out.

Thanks

Just build a skid and drag it into the garage, have the rigger drop the machine on the skid. use your car to pull it, just need some folks to pickup the broom handles and lay them out in front of the skid.

If you were to grease the skid and lay out sheets of osb plywood to drag it on, you will have enough traction with a mid sized vehicle to drag the machine without using pipes or boom handles, this might be some what safer if you have to pull the machine down a hill since it could potentially roll half the length of the skid if it gets away from you.. if the hill is steep enough then no need to grease the skid, just pull it down the hill.