584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > EMCO CNC Machines > EMCO Lathe > Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Retrofit of an EMCO 120 CNC lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    As has been said, scales only if you want. They won't actually get used for closing the loop, they will just provide feedback for out of position monitoring and errors. Does your control support them anyway? I thought the tdc had the feedback option and the tdb didn't.
    Hood, you may be right I'm not sure. Reading the "manual" it mentioned them and looking at the controller there looks to be a socket for scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_B View Post
    Hood, you may be right I'm not sure. Reading the "manual" it mentioned them and looking at the controller there looks to be a socket for scales.
    I am not sure either, there doesn't really seem to be much information on the actual differences between TDC and TDB controllers. I have the TDC and it has CN13 socket for feedback and I was lead to believe that the TDB did not have it but I also remembering seeing that it was an option.

I do have a glass scale hooked up to mine on the X axis and I have my servo drives encoder output hooked up on the Z axis and thus both have feedback for out of position checking purposes

The reason I put the scale on the X was because I was not getting tools in exactly the right position after switching on, once set up they would be spot on for the rest of the time the control was on but shut down and restart then home and call a tool to go to a set position and it would be slightly out and you had to adjust the offset again. I fitted the scale to see if I could work out why and it turned out I had a parameter for homing set wrong, it was not looking for the encoders Index pulse. Once I had that set correctly then even after a restart/home the tools are exactly where the are meant to be.

Just for your or anyone else's information, when set correctly you will see the axis move to the home switch, it will back off slowly, it will then momentarily stop when it sees the switch close and then it will again start to move slowly until it sees the index pulse. If the last movement doesn't happen then the parameters for homing is not set correctly for Index homing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I am not sure either, there doesn't really seem to be much information on the actual differences between TDC and TDB controllers. I have the TDC and it has CN13 socket for feedback and I was lead to believe that the TDB did not have it but I also remembering seeing that it was an option.

I do have a glass scale hooked up to mine on the X axis and I have my servo drives encoder output hooked up on the Z axis and thus both have feedback for out of position checking purposes

The reason I put the scale on the X was because I was not getting tools in exactly the right position after switching on, once set up they would be spot on for the rest of the time the control was on but shut down and restart then home and call a tool to go to a set position and it would be slightly out and you had to adjust the offset again. I fitted the scale to see if I could work out why and it turned out I had a parameter for homing set wrong, it was not looking for the encoders Index pulse. Once I had that set correctly then even after a restart/home the tools are exactly where the are meant to be.

Just for your or anyone else's information, when set correctly you will see the axis move to the home switch, it will back off slowly, it will then momentarily stop when it sees the switch close and then it will again start to move slowly until it sees the index pulse. If the last movement doesn't happen then the parameters for homing is not set correctly for Index homing.
    I will have to have another look at my controller but I'm sure it has a CN13 plug. I do not know about the options, all I did was send SZGH what my current controller was as well as it's Chinese manual and they told me this is what I need.

Hood, with your home switches, did you use 1 for your home switch and 1 for your limit switch? I was hoping I could get away with using the 1 for both as the machine already has X + & - and Y + & - limit switch fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_B View Post
    I will have to have another look at my controller but I'm sure it has a CN13 plug. I do not know about the options, all I did was send SZGH what my current controller was as well as it's Chinese manual and they told me this is what I need.

Hood, with your home switches, did you use 1 for your home switch and 1 for your limit switch? I was hoping I could get away with using the 1 for both as the machine already has X + & - and Y + & - limit switch fitted.

Yes I have a separate home for each axis and a single limit for each axis.

On mine the limits are triggered at either end so act as both positive and negative for that axis. The control knows which direction it is travelling so will stop with a limit error and only allow you to go the opposite direction.

The current controller on my machine has it that, but it dose not have home switches which is a pain.

Nice job... I've been thinking of doing this same thing! I've had a 120 for a while, and I've been repairing driver boards for people for years. But, to be honest, it is a pain in the rear. I did it because I could help people out, but I think it may be time for me to start seriously considering a retrofit too.

Hi Mukanico & Hood,

I notice both your displays have a predominantly blue & black background. I have one of these controllers but the display is mostly white background like Mukanico’s first photos showing the splash screen. Is this an inbuilt option that can be selected or did you get a different screenset from somewhere. I‘D be keen to have the same.

Thanks, Hqqks

It is a Parameter.
    If you go to the "Other Parameter" page then scroll to Parameter 501 you can set it to 8 for the dark screen.

Hood,

Finally after all this time I have started installing my CNC1000TDd controller. Hows yours going?
    Attachment 449084

No problems at all, very happy with it.

Thats good to hear.

So far the easy part is done the controller is in, now the hard part I have to do the wiring. I'm just waiting on the SZG engineer to get back to me on a few thing I'm not to sure on.

Bingo, many thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hood,

I'm having a problem getting my head wiring my tool turret. Did you use one of the SZGH I/O boads in you retrofit?

No, didn't bother with the I/O board.

OK, can I go direct from the CN4 port on the controller to the board that runs my tool turret? thats how it was wired on the old controller.
    The DB15 pin lay out is pritty well the same with the exception of pin 9 and 10. Pin 9 on my board is Ground and pin 10 is empty.

Afraid I don't know as it would depend on what the board you have does and how your turret works.
    The I/O on the control can not be used for high currents so if your board requires Amps rather than mA then it would damage the control. If your board has relays on it then likely it will work.
    The other thing to consider is the control has sourcing Inputs (Inputs put a voltage out and need to be put to 0v for the signal to be seen)
    Outputs on the control are the opposite, they are sinking so you put a voltage in and the control connects them to 0v.

That is the way preferred by Asian controls/drives etc where Western controls/drives tend to be the opposite (Inputs sinking and Outputs sourcing)

Some servo drives can be configured to be either way.

My turret is a JLD6 from CNC-Makers. It was on the lathe when I got itand was working. I have very little info on it, I know it only rotates in CW and the board has relays on to supply 380v to the motor.

Might be best to ask Mike at SZGH if he can advise, if he is not familiar with that turret then he may be able to ask seeing as both are Chinese companies.

Yer, I have been talking to him the last few days, but I have ended up more confussed now than when I started.

Aye, I suppose it can get that way due to the language differences as often they don't quite understand what you are asking and reply with something different to what you want

Page 3 of 4 1234