584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: China Spindle Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Someone else that is not on the same page as the OP his spindle does not go anywhere near 24,000 most don't go above 8,000 to 10,000 if they are lucky
    doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

i had a friend of mine 3d print a fan blade for a vacuum cleaner motor, 6" diameter, probably ran at 12,000 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    You just can’t order a new blade? I know it’s Chinese email and ask.
    i'm not op but i'd try to balance the existing blade or replace it with an aux fan before waiting 3 weeks for a new fanblade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

i had a friend of mine 3d print a fan blade for a vacuum cleaner motor, 6" diameter, probably ran at 12,000 rpm.
    Totally different fan design for a vacuum cleaner motor not surprised at all that you could print a fan like this I would do the same if I had a need, it would be a good way to experiment to make a HVLP pump for spray painting
    Mactec54

I have a bunch of different fans from 5V to 24V, but I fear they may not move enough air to keep the spindle cool. I tried running it at 100% for 10 minutes with a 24V muffin fan on the side but it still got up to 60°c... Which I am guessing is too much.

The existing fan is so extremely off center, that there is no way I could re-balance (maybe possible for someone else, but I certainly can't). I printed a fan, unfortunately the diameter in the center was too small, and drilling it out also made it slightly lopsided, so I will reprint one with a larger diameter today.

But I still would rather watercool it. It is insane how quiet it is without a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithet View Post
    I have a bunch of different fans from 5V to 24V, but I fear they may not move enough air to keep the spindle cool. I tried running it at 100% for 10 minutes with a 24V muffin fan on the side but it still got up to 60°c... Which I am guessing is too much.

The existing fan is so extremely off center, that there is no way I could re-balance (maybe possible for someone else, but I certainly can't). I printed a fan, unfortunately the diameter in the center was too small, and drilling it out also made it slightly lopsided, so I will reprint one with a larger diameter today.

But I still would rather watercool it. It is insane how quiet it is without a fan.
    or use the 24v fan but epoxy a finned heat-sink onto the side of the motor.

or drill larger holes in the motor case to get more airflow through the motor, or 3-d print a better shroud to suck air through the motor.

i'm not so sure 60C outer case temperatures are such a bad thing. how much air is flowing through the motor vs flowing around it cooling the case?

Could of had a new correct fan blade made for that motor shipped in from China by now. Put on a muffin fan and use until the correct one comes in. When the machine is running your shop vac or dust collector will make more noise than your spindle motor.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    or use the 24v fan but epoxy a finned heat-sink onto the side of the motor.

or drill larger holes in the motor case to get more airflow through the motor, or 3-d print a better shroud to suck air through the motor.

i'm not so sure 60C outer case temperatures are such a bad thing. how much air is flowing through the motor vs flowing around it cooling the case?
    I have been looking for curved heat sinks, but have not found any. The Motor case only has a single hole with a diameter of approximately a centimeter on the top. There is no outlet on the bottom. I am not certain That the hole even has much purpose... I suppose adding an outlet to the bottom could improve the cooling.I suppose I could funnel the air into the inlet directly?

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Could of had a new correct fan blade made for that motor shipped in from China by now. Put on a muffin fan and use until the correct one comes in. When the machine is running your shop vac or dust collector will make more noise than your spindle motor.
    As I only use it for Circuit boards I don't have a vacuum running. Shipping from china takes about 30 days, I already ordered a replacement but It will still take at least 25 days, and then once it arrives, there is no guarantee that it will be better.

I have been looking for curved heat sinks, but have not found any. The Motor case only has a single hole with a diameter of approximately a centimeter on the top. There is no outlet on the bottom. I am not certain That the hole even has much purpose... I suppose adding an outlet to the bottom could improve the cooling.I suppose I could funnel the air into the inlet directly?
    Sure the air needs a way to get out so it can flow thru the windings. My spindle has a hole in the bottom so it blows air out around the collet. Mine is not a DC one but standard 3 phase one from China. Anyway motors need air flow, not just air pushed in.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

These motors the air cooling flows around down the outside nothing goes inside the motor, depends which motor you have same have added holes in the front bearing plate some do not some are Brushed some are Brushless
    Mactec54

Lilithet Guest

These motors the air cooling flows around down the outside nothing goes inside the motor, depends which motor you have same have added holes in the front bearing plate some do not some are Brushed some are Brushless
    Would it be effective to cool the interior? Or is the motor design made so exterior is the only way?

Would it be effective to cool the interior? Or is the motor design made so exterior is the only way?
    It would depend if there is any room inside for the air to pass through, how many wire come out of the motor to the control
    Mactec54

If you are using the machine for pcb manufacturing, you could
    also go with a 'real' spindle with much higher rpm and probably
    a lot better specs which you would need for those tiny bits
    anyway instead of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Here is a water cooled one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/800W-1HP-CN...wAAOSwme1bu4IN

you have a dc brushed motor, so yes pulling air through the air gap between the rotor and the magnets is going to be 10 times more effective than simply cooling the outer casing of the motor.

It would depend if there is any room inside for the air to pass through, how many wire come out of the motor to the control
    Only two. Its a basic DC motor...

Page 2 of 2 12