585,679 active members*
4,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

China Spindle Cooling

I bought an Air cooled 500W China spindle, And was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to convert it to water cooling. Unfortunately I am not able to attach anything larger on my (mini) CNC, and the spindle runs so quietly with out the fan (which has extreme wobble and causes vibrations on my device) and smaller spindles don't come water cooled.I was thinking of getting a metal tube and two caps and sealing it with epoxy. I couldn't find any information about someone who already did this. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Re: China Spindle Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithet View Post
    I bought an Air cooled 500W China spindle, And was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to convert it to water cooling. Unfortunately I am not able to attach anything larger on my (mini) CNC, and the spindle runs so quietly with out the fan (which has extreme wobble and causes vibrations on my device) and smaller spindles don't come water cooled.I was thinking of getting a metal tube and two caps and sealing it with epoxy. I couldn't find any information about someone who already did this. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    I would send it back and get one that was built correctly.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Or replace the fan if it is too late for a return?

I would like to go fanless if at all possible, the spindle is so nice and quiet without the fan. If I had to I could always design and print a fan on a 3d printer as a last resort.

I would like to go fanless if at all possible, the spindle is so nice and quiet without the fan. If I had to I could always design and print a fan on a 3d printer as a last resort.
    For less than $20 you can purchase an electric muffin fan like used on a computer PS, it can be 12 or 24 volts DC or 120 volts AC. With a 3D printed fan Blade you will still have the balance issue. I have a air cooled spindle and you can not hear it running.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Another option could be what we used to do
    back in the days with R/C model gas engines:
    Take a long soft brass tube and wrap it tightly
    around the body from top to bottom, flattening
    it a bit while wrapping and run the coolant
    through it. I have no idea if it would be
    sufficient though.

That was a looong time ago.

Most of these spindles are just a DC motor with a Collet holder attached you may be able to rap it with copper tubing attaching it to the motor to get heat transfer will be the hardest part but could be done
    Mactec54

Electronics type heat-sink compound (messy) or heat-sink tape might work. Some type of sleeve or a metalised epoxy?

Perhaps an inflatable ball bladder filled with coolant might work but mixing water or some other coolant in a breakable container on your machine might be a bad idea.

How hot does the spindle get? Surely it was designed to function for purpose?

FWIW: Better to get a liquid cooled spindle than try to modify one not designed for it.

Mactec54 has always said those air cooled spindles when running slow do not move enough air to cool. I have my minimum on mine set at 9,000 Rpm. Maybe he is better off with that muffin fan.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Mactec54 has always said those air cooled spindles when running slow do not move enough air to cool.
    I could think that the best way to improve that would be to run a separate fixed voltage cable and run the fan continuously full power.

I have a bunch of different fans from 5V to 24V, but I fear they may not move enough air to keep the spindle cool. I tried running it at 100% for 10 minutes with a 24V muffin fan on the side but it still got up to 60°c which as far as I know is about twice the maximum of what it should.

I have a bunch of different fans from 5V to 24V, but I fear they may not move enough air to keep the spindle cool. I tried running it at 100% for 10 minutes with a 24V muffin fan on the side but it still got up to 60°c which as far as I know is about twice the maximum of what it should.
    Any type of cooling fan needs to move air over the windings, except if its designed as a TEFC motor. If the existing fan blade runs to slow it needs to be removed to allow for more air flow.

Mactec54 has always said those air cooled spindles when running slow do not move enough air to cool. I have my minimum on mine set at 9,000 Rpm. Maybe he is better off with that muffin fan.
    You are not on the same page, these spindles have nothing to do with the Ac spindle you have, these are a DC motor nothing more
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You are not on the same page, these spindles have nothing to do with the Ac spindle you have, these are a DC motor nothing more
    A motor is a motor, AC or DC it still needs cooling. Look it up.

They have no comparison to the Spindles you use 300Hz 400Hz VFD Drive which they do not have, there cooling requirement is totally different, you are way behind with your way of thinking and lack the experience to know the difference

It would also be different if his motor is a DC Brushless BLDC or a DC Brushed motor these motor spindles come in both types
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They have no comparison to the Spindles you use 300Hz 400Hz VFD Drive which they do not have, there cooling requirement is totally different, you are way behind with your way of thinking and lack the experience to know the difference

It would also be different if his motor is a DC Brushless BLDC or a DC Brushed motor these motor spindles come in both types
    Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post

I know you can't really help yourself but maybe someone else can.

Lol

he reminds me of digger doug on practical machinist, always defending thermite, who got banned.

anyhow while it would be a challenge to ballance a 3d printed fan blade for maybe 3" diamter at 24000 rpm, it could be done and the pla is strong enough. or just figure out how to balance the existing fan blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    he reminds me of digger doug on practical machinist, always defending thermite, who got banned.

anyhow while it would be a challenge to ballance a 3d printed fan blade for maybe 3" diamter at 24000 rpm, it could be done and the pla is strong enough. or just figure out how to balance the existing fan blade.
    Someone else that is not on the same page as the OP his spindle does not go anywhere near 24,000 most don't go above 8,000 to 10,000 if they are lucky
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post

You just can’t order a new blade? I know it’s Chinese email and ask.

Page 1 of 2 12