585,589 active members*
2,855 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Spare control board for 3040T

Hi All,
    the X Axis of my 3040T 3Axis (Mach 3 controlled via a parallel interface) is faulty.
    After some verifications, including the exchange of X and Y motors (the 3 step motors are JKONGMOTOR JK57HS41-2004XB-01AF), I can confirm that the power supply section works fine, as well as Y axis and Z axis control sections.
    Of course no schematic was included in the original package of the CNC.
    I think the fastest (maybe also the cheapest) solution would be to replace the step motor driver board (X, Y and Z) with a spare part that should meet the electrical (voltage and current) and mechanical interface (connectors) specs of the original board.

Can you help me, suggesting the vendor of such control board ?
    Thank you

Re: Spare control board for 3040T

Welcome to the group.
    Its hard to for anyone to make any concrete recommendations as we don't have enough info.

Personaaly I would not go the 'fastest and cheapest' route to finding a replacement. I would go "reasonably priced, good quality and support' route.
    Its a chance to move away from the parallel port as it is becoming more and more difficult to aquire PC's with such a thing, these days.
    I would aviod any chinese options.

I'm not familar with your specific machine, so don't know what you have.
    There are several good options. Try Googling your question and you will get many answers.
    I personally replaced a chinese USB board with a Ethernet Smooth Stepper ( ESS). It was a big improvement.

Here are some more:

https://cncdrive.com/products.html

https://www.pmdx.com/

several more I can't think of now....lol

Hello all,

Extreme noob here. My wife purchase a Chinese knock off from eBay the 3040T as she heard me speaking with a friend and thought she would surprise me. Of course it has knock off planet cnc software limited access of course. Instead of saying why would you buy this thing I said thank you and attempted to set it up. I am using a laptop with windows 7 it’s connected via usb. I followed their instructions and went to start it up and only A works to do troll the 4th axis. XYZ and the spindle do not work. If i take the cable for the forth axis and detach it from the motor and attach it to XYZ they work (still plugged in to A on the control box) but the cables for XYZ are not communicating to the carriage and nothing happens. I’m not sure if it’s the cables for xyz or the board. I do like the aluminum frame and it seems solid but not sure what to do. I believe I’m stuck with it now so can i just buy a new board from planet cnc and swap it out, is there a way to test the cables and or board with out having another cnc to swap? Or should i use it for target practice. Thanks in adavance ...lost and confused

Quote Originally Posted by Hellas22 View Post
    Hello all,

Extreme noob here. My wife purchase a Chinese knock off from eBay the 3040T as she heard me speaking with a friend and thought she would surprise me. Of course it has knock off planet cnc software limited access of course. Instead of saying why would you buy this thing I said thank you and attempted to set it up. I am using a laptop with windows 7 it’s connected via usb. I followed their instructions and went to start it up and only A works to do troll the 4th axis. XYZ and the spindle do not work. If i take the cable for the forth axis and detach it from the motor and attach it to XYZ they work (still plugged in to A on the control box) but the cables for XYZ are not communicating to the carriage and nothing happens. I’m not sure if it’s the cables for xyz or the board. I do like the aluminum frame and it seems solid but not sure what to do. I believe I’m stuck with it now so can i just buy a new board from planet cnc and swap it out, is there a way to test the cables and or board with out having another cnc to swap? Or should i use it for target practice. Thanks in adavance ...lost and confused
    First things first,what a great wife and does she have any sisters?Can you describe the control software that came with the machine?It would be even more useful if you can post a screenshot as there may be clues.

I'm not familar with Planet CNC Software, but does it have Digital Readout for all the axies?
    If so, do the XY and Z axises change when you jog each one?

Is there somewhere in the software where the motor outputs need to be 'enabled'? Maybe the A axis is the only one that has been?

With the power OFF, disconnect the Motion Board output to the A Stepper Driver and carefully plug each stepper driver in turn to the A output, boot up and test. Power down, change, power up and test.
    Do all 3 stepper driver /motor combos work ok? If so, all your Stepper drivers and motors are ok.

Planet CNC • View topic - Motors not moving

Counterfeit boards:

Planet CNC • View topic - BEWARE - Chinese counterfeits

Detailed photos of the inside of the control box will help to identify what you have

Various Chinese manufacturers of the 6040 cnc routers produce what looks like identical machines but

use various kits of electronic control boards in side of the control boxes

In the past they have used either an all in one board incorporating a breakout board and stepper drivers using the unreliable TB6560 IC

or a separate parallel port BOB and 3 or 4 individual stepper drivers

The latest machines now incorporate a USB motion controller that you may be lucky enough to receive the correct driver software

going by posts here to many find the Chinese motion controller useless

John

hi
    i have a surplus fully working first edition control box that im going to sell on as ive built a new unit completely and gone from parrallel to USB

are you using the TOLSON units as used i nthe early cream coloured control box?

if so i can help

let me know

Chris