584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Indicator Resolution for Backlash Measurement

Indicator Resolution for Backlash Measurement

I know people may say to “use the search feature” but I had a quick question. I’m trying to complete the setup for my VMC 40 and was wondering what resolution DTI you guys used to set your machines up. I bought a .0005” Mitutoyo indicator however, I don’t know why it just occurred to me the backlash settings for the machine is in tenths so it may be more accurate to use a .0001” indicator over the .0005” one. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Indicator Resolution for Backlash Measurement

Depends how accurate you want to be. Personally I have used both you can read between the lines on a .0005” indicator.

In my experience all my backlash numbers are under .0006” so a tenths indicator will probably be helpful but if all you got is a .0005” go ahead and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ianagos View Post
    Depends how accurate you want to be. Personally I have used both you can read between the lines on a .0005” indicator.

In my experience all my backlash numbers are under .0006” so a tenths indicator will probably be helpful but if all you got is a .0005” go ahead and use it.
    Hey Ianagos
    Well I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I would rather have the tenths indicator for accuracy's sake. I don't want to guess if the hand is at .0002" or .0004". I guess the silver lining is the tenths indicator will also help measure for spindle runout and other super precise measurements as well.

Yes I bought a .002mm indicator for all my really precision things. But I use a .0005 for most everyday tasks.