585,902 active members*
4,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Laser engraver to accomodate large workpiece, but only small travel required

Laser engraver to accomodate large workpiece, but only small travel required

Good morning,

I create custom foam inserts for Pelican cases using a large CNC Router which works great.

I would like the ability to add a small (3-4") laser engraving of my company logo somewhere on the top layer of the foam.

Although the logo is very small (thus a small feed/travel area needed) I need to be able to get the large piece of foam under the laser.

From what I can see, most engravers are enclosed and have a max work piece size that is similar to the usable engraving work area.

Are there any solutions for a non-enclosed or "portable" engraver that can sit on top of my large work piece and laser engrave a small area?

The material I am engraving is Plastazote LD29 (PE Foam) at a maximum thickness of 2" (50mm)

Although it would be ideal to be able to put the logo anywhere, I would consider restricting the logo to a corner of the piece if there was a product that could take the corner of a large workpiece.

Hope I am explaining myself clearly, thanks in advance for any ideas.

Re: Laser engraver to accomodate large workpiece, but only small travel required

You could purchase 2.5W or 5W blue laser module and mount it on your router near spindle.
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Re: Laser engraver to accomodate large workpiece, but only small travel required

Sounds like one of those cheap diode lasers would work for that. That's why they make saws. Get one and cut the 3 corner legs off and modify as necessary, then set right on your foam. Cheers!

I have one of these 3 watt open bottom lasers that would work great for your needs. It'll engrave 7.5cm x 7.5cm which 3" square. It does have to connected to a PC & power supply. Here is a link to one on Amazon.

TopDirect 3000mW Laser Engraving Machine Mini Laser Engraver Printer CE Approved Working Area 7.5X7.5CM for DIY Logo Marking with CERTIFICATION https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H6B8YXF..._JgzHCb9D7X7KA

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestion Zasto, I may well end up with something like that but want to experiment away from the CNC for now due to fire risk, ventilation etc. I appreciate your approach would probably yield the most accurate results and minimise double handling/aligning of work material.

Batman, do you have an example of one of these? I'm curious and not totally familiar with the reference.

Tokin, that looks promising! I think I could work with the limited work space for now, and keep logo nice and small. Is it easy enough to align the artwork to the workpiece?

Thanks all for your insights.

Quote Originally Posted by elsy View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Zasto, I may well end up with something like that but want to experiment away from the CNC for now due to fire risk, ventilation etc. I appreciate your approach would probably yield the most accurate results and minimise double handling/aligning of work material.

Batman, do you have an example of one of these? I'm curious and not totally familiar with the reference.

Tokin, that looks promising! I think I could work with the limited work space for now, and keep logo nice and small. Is it easy enough to align the artwork to the workpiece?

Thanks all for your insights.
    Looks like they already make what I was thinking of per Tokin's link. Looks like that is your solution.