584,874 active members*
5,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Mach 4 Users

Page 5 of 5 345

Re: Mach 4 Users

For every one that keeps bringing up the lack of inputs and outputs they will be releasing a ethernet expansion board that will have a additional 16 inputs and 16 outputs
    I think this was announced about 6 months ago now?
    Nobody that needs these features is going to buy one and wait for them. When they are released, I'm sure it will bring more people on board.
    And my machine needs 6 motors.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

And If I was building new I might have used the Acorn. But I did not see the reason for trashing a perfectly good, working system with a tried and true Warp9 ESS control board. As it was I got a modern CNC system for $200 in upgrade cost. Yes having a driver board controlled by a separate control signal yet Slaved lets you use auto correct or whatever to square up that axis. Regardless of how well it was built, accidents and failures happen.

There from what I can see anyway upgrades and questions on the Acorn as same as the Mach4.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

I hear ya guys. I just figured I'd through it out there since it seems to me that this controller is the future for all of us with the cheapo machines. It's obviously not perfect and you can never please everyone. I just figured I'd share my experience since it's been a great one. Maybe when they have more market share in the hobby section you guys will think about giving it a try.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post

Dan, it's not a question of inputs and output. The issue that keeps coming up is the number of motor control outputs. Not the same thing. I have not heard any news of Acorn expanding from four motor control outputs to six. Let's assume you want to add a rotary axis, which adds a 5th stepper motor. How would you add it to your Acorn? You could definitely do it by running one control circuit to both Y and Y slave and wiring the slave to run in the opposite direction as Y. However, you lose the ability to auto square. You will have to home to just one sensor on Y. Auto square is dependent upon both Y steppers being wired to different motor control outputs. I don't believe you can add a 5th stepper and keep auto square. If I'm wrong, I'd be interested in an explanation of how to do it.

Don't get the impression I'm knocking Acorn. I haven't run it, and don't know that much about it. When I saw that it only supports 4 steppers and didn't find any indication that it was going to expand to the usual 6, I had all I needed to know about it. I don't yet have a 4th axis (5th stepper), but I want to option to add it if/when I'm ready.

Gary
    Yes you are correct that if you don't use software pairing the way it stands until the expansion board is released you would lose auto square. Also just to clarify the way the Acorn works the motors are wired to inputs, not outputs. I also can't say weather the expansion board is going to add additional axis control. I currently have no need for more than what it currently has. I just have a simple router and if I ever have a need for a rotary it will handle one as is.

I really have no need for a rotary and I really need a metal lathe and that's the next piece of equipment I will be adding. A table top that will be converted to a Acorn controlled CNC.

I don't do a lot of fancy woodworking and honestly I'm more of a fabricator than a woodworker. I mainly got the router to do signage and have the ability to cut out aluminum sheet. Originally I was going to get a plasma table, but I don't like having to do a bunch of edge cleanup if I'm going to need to do any welding after the parts are cut out.

Dan

I have been thinking about going to mach4. Anything I need to look out for vs mach3?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik F View Post
    I have been thinking about going to mach4. Anything I need to look out for vs mach3?
    Customization is more limited with Mach4, unless you know Lua programming language. I am not good at programming, so I accepted the limitation. Fortunately, It hasn't been an issue. I am satisfied with the screensets and functionality. Also, Vista CNC finally came up with a good plugin for their pendant's. I have one with an LCD display. It works fine. Unfortunately, Vista's pendants are all wired. You won't be able to use the relatively inexpensive Chinese pendants commonly used for Mach3. A fellow with the handle, DazTheGas wrote a script for using an XBox 360 with Mach4, but I haven't tried it. Here is a link to the thread: mcX360 Mach4 Controller Plugin Here's a link to his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOy...Uq3-u_LgNFzNNw

Note that my setup uses an ESS Smoothstepper, so I cannot comment on setting up Mach4 using some other motion controller. If you are using a Smoothstepper, Warp9 has very good instructions for setting up the Smoothstepper Plugin for Mach4. Most of the Mach4 settings are done in the ESS plugin.

I have been very happy with Mach4. I haven't found any of the odd behaviors that crop up from time-to-time in Mach3. I have found it to be a very stable platform and more intuitive than Mach3.

Gary

I disagree that customization is more limited with Mach 4. Both Mach 3 and Mach 4 come with scripting languages. Mach 3 used VB scripting and Mach 4 uses LUA scripting. Having used both extensively and having never used either language before seeing it within Mach 3/4, I can say that LUA is more featured and powerful at the expense of having a somewhat steeper learning curve. If you are familiar with programming, especially object oriented programming, you should have a good headstart. It is very possible to learn it without that background and you shouldn't find it intimidating. Just start simple. There are tons of resources to help you along the way.

I am using a $50 hardwired 4 axis pendant from ebay wired into general I/O. The setup was not very complicated and there is a great write-up on the procedure on the Warp 9 ESS website. This is applicable even if you are using another method to bring the I/O in, although slight modification may be needed.

The logic editor and screen editor are miles ahead of the ones provided in Mach 3.

hello david i like mach 4 but my countery in macch for too much higher coast software if you dont mind can you guide me to find this software

Page 5 of 5 345