585,575 active members*
4,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New ESS Smooth Stepper breakout board

The CNCRoom has been manufacturing breakout board series MBx for many years. Now it comes to MB3, the latest version of this series. It has the same form factor as UB1.

Here are the extra features on top of MB2's exist features.

• New! 18 Universal isolated fast inputs on port 1 and 2. They can be used as NPN and PNP inputs, also able to handle both 5V and 24V. These inputs can detect an index signal of the spinning motor at 862,200 rpm*.
    • New! 5 Universal isolated super-fast inputs on port 3. They can be used as NPN and PNP inputs, also able to handle both 5V and 24V. These inputs can detect an index signal of the spinning motor at 1,710,000 rpm*.
    • 14 NPN isolated output terminals capable of sinking current up to 70mA for each channel and up to 500mA per group.
    • New! - 3 onboard relays with both NO/NC contacts and 2 of them can select “Off Delay Time”, which can be used for such application as “Z Drop Protection.”,
    • The K3 Relay can be controlled by a charge pump signal.
    • New!The Raspberry Pi tall headers are used for firm connection between ESS and MB3 board. This allows ESS to be mounted on MB3 directly without any ribbon cables. This method will eliminate a number of contact points, distance, inductance and resistance between ESS and MB3 board which allows signals go forth and back faster. Furthermore, this makes both companions look nicer and lower in height.
    • Industrial Spring terminals for quicker connecting and disconnecting of cables. They are resistant to vibration, so no more screws which have rattled loose and no more forgetting to tighten.

*Tested on Mach4 by using pulse generator.
    Weerasak.
    www.CNCRoom.com

Re: New ESS Smooth Stepper breakout board

This looks to be a very nice product and has quite a lot of features packed into it. I recently finished a project with an ESS which used all 3 ports communicating with both 5V and 24V signals. It required 2 breakout boards, 2 signal voltage translator boards, 6 external relays, and a lot of panel space. I bet I could have accomplished this with only the board shown above and 3-4 external relays.

My only concern would be the use of solder jumpers throughout. This is great for the hobbyist (especially those who regularly work with PCB's), but industrial customers may prefer banks of DIP switches, even if that added to the cost slightly.

Your manual seems to be well written and complete. The explanation of various pin functions can be a touch confusing, but all the information is there.

Nice Work!

First, Thankyou for your compliment and comment on using DIP switches instead of solder jumpers. As a product developer I love to hear the meaningful comments and here is another one. In the assembly process, I tried to eliminate through-hole components.

However, I had a quick look on modern DIP switch technology and found that there are many suppliers provide tinier SMT DIP switch that also can stand the heat during the reflow process. So, I need to study more to make the product more robust and more user-friendly. In my opinion, using DIP switches is easier than using jumpers.

Today I can only offer a bare board product for the DIY market. However, in the future, I could offer nicer products in the casing.

Thank you,
    Weerasak.
    www.CNCRoom.com

Quote Originally Posted by vrasak View Post
    First, Thankyou for your compliment and comment on using DIP switches instead of solder jumpers. As a product developer I love to hear the meaningful comments and here is another one. In the assembly process, I tried to eliminate through-hole components.

However, I had a quick look on modern DIP switch technology and found that there are many suppliers provide tinier SMT DIP switch that also can stand the heat during the reflow process. So, I need to study more to make the product more robust and more user-friendly. In my opinion, using DIP switches is easier than using jumpers.

Today I can only offer a bare board product for the DIY market. However, in the future, I could offer nicer products in the casing.

Thank you,
    I just ordered an MB3 board. While I'm waiting for it to arrive I wanted to get the dimensions to see if it would fit in my existing control box, but I haven't been able to find the dimensions anywhere. Can you tell me the dimensions of the board?

Page 53 in the manual.
    CNC Room also has a step file you can download and measure in a CAD program
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Page 53 in the manual.
    CNC Room also has a step file you can download and measure in a CAD program
    Thanks for the reply!

The MB3 is a breakout board with integrated programming interface.