584,837 active members*
5,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cut is not accurate - is this Mach 3 issue?

I was cutting a sign out today and about 3/4 the way through cutting the sign the x axis went long by almost an 1 inch. Is this a mach 3 problem or something else.

I am getting a clicking noise in my x axis motor. Its a nema 23 and I am using a Gecko control panel. The cnc router is homemade.

thanks

Re: Cut is not accurate - is this Mach 3 issue?

I don't use Mach, but I doubt that was the problem. However, steppers won't jump an inch on their own so 2 ideas past Mach,

1) stepper stalled in one direction and moved correct distance back, seeming to move further back than it should have but really die to a stall.
    2) electrical noise that put (a lot) of extra step signals to the driver.

My guess is number 1.

Is the axis 1 or 2 motor and how is it driven, motors, bearing etc?

I doubt it's a Mach3 problem. Mach3 has been around for quite a while and I think it is a very reliable software. I have been using it for a while now, but the only times I had issues when I was trying to configure it. Set too high speed for my CNC and had some motor stalling issues. Apart from that, I had problems with my driver earlier, before replacing that crappy, 3 axis Toshiba 6560 based driver with much better ones, but not even with that infamous blue card had I that much of an accuracy issue as you are talking about. Look at your configuration is my best guess. Mach3 bug would be my last guess.

Questions: are you sure your G code is right? Is the problem repeatable or random?

Check all of the couplers. A loose set screw can cause this.
    Lee

I am getting the same problem on my x axis. It's running fine and then moves out of step about an inch and I hear the clicking noise in the motor also. Did you figure out the problem?

I am getting a clicking noise in my x axis motor. Its a nema 23 and I am using a Gecko control panel. The cnc router is homemade.

thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi,

I am getting a clicking noise in my x axis motor.
    That's the stepper losing steps. The cutting forces and/or acceleration exceed the motors torque (at the speed and operating voltage) and consequently it loses steps.
    Repeat the experiment but WITHOUT the tool in the spindle. Does the fault recur? If not then that demonstrates that the cutting force is causing the motor to overload.

Craig