584,846 active members*
4,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    mukanico Guest

Pull stud geometry for Brother TC-215

Hello,

I recently bought a Brother TC-215 drilling and tapping center which came with a lot (~50) of BT-30 tool holders, and I have a question concerning the pull stud geometries.

The Brother manual specifies that this machine takes a P30T-2 pull stud which, as far I understand, has a 60 degree contact angle. However, the BT-30 holders that I got with the machine all have pull studs with a 45 degree angle. I then assumed that the tool holders that came with the machine might have not belonged to it, as the company I bought the machine from also had a Kitamura Mycenter 1 machine which takes BT-30 tooling with a 45 degree angle pull stud.

So, I bought a couple of 60 degree P30T-2 pull studs but when I tested them I noticed that the retention balls touch the pull stud (dangerously) near the edge of the conical surface, instead of the middle of the surface as is the case with the 45 degree pull studs.

Does anyone know if this normal? Could it be that the spindle on my machine has been replaced with one that takes 45 degree pull studs?

Your help is much appreciated!

Cheers

Attachment 415308

Re: Pull stud geometry for Brother TC-215

I have Brother TC-229 that uses P30T-2 pull stud, but i freely work both 60 and 45 degree pull studs. 60 degree pull stud causes more tension in the spring, so it preferrable for heavy cutting. Contact point in different places is normal.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your post! That reassures me

Cheers

hi mukanico, careful with footprint on the pullstud

there may be a problem ( sooner or later ), if contact point is almost near the edge ( and almost no footprint towards the center ) *1

is better if contact point is also near the edge ( thus also towards center )

and is even better if contact point is more pronounced towards the center

if you wish to have no worries :
    ... periodically check the clamping force by using a drawbar force gage, retention force measurement, etc, and compare it with the factory spec
    ... periodically change the pullstuds, at least for the holders that do the rough work
    ... craft your own pullstuds from forged metal; in such a case, you may experiment with that taper, so to obtain a stronger pullstud with better footprint

far as i have heared, pullstud failures are more frequent on bt30, then bt40, and last bt50 / kindly

*1 if you use that pulstud on another holder, the new footprint may be at a different angle, and, in time, it may damage the pulstud; also, if you don't use it on another holder, but keep using it on same holder, then atleast periodically inspect the footprint progres
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

Hi deadlykitten

Thanks for the remarks! I will keep an eye out for wear as I use them.

Even though I retrofitted this machine with a new controller and more powerful servos, for the moment I'm only using it for light milling work (low MRR in aluminium only), so as long as the pull studs are compatible I will sleep better tonight

In the meantime I noticed that a few of the pull studs (4 out of ~50) that came with the tool holders had the 60 degree angle, so I guess the previous owner also used mixed pull studs. I couldn't see any wear difference when compared to the 45 degree ones. Maybe it's because the tool holders weren't used much (the machine only had 4000h)...

Cheers