584,865 active members*
4,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

770M Initial impressions

Received a 770M yesterday. I have to say, it is a very nice machine when I compare it to my S3 1100. Lot of great upgrades to the electronics panel, connections, and more.

The stand is awesome. Makes me want to buy a new stand from them for the Series 3, but I've already started fabricating my own version.

Assembly went quick...couple items were missing but Tormach being great at customer service will take care of it promptly.

We're stoked to have 2 *hobby* machines plugging away at parts.

WW

Re: 770M Initial impressions

I noticed they posted the approximate cost to upgrade your m to servos in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I noticed they posted the approximate cost to upgrade your m to servos in the near future.
    Can you point me to that? I haven't seen it, and don't see it on the Tormach blog or website anywhere.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Can you point me to that? I haven't seen it, and don't see it on the Tormach bog or website anywhere.
    https://www.tormach.com/1100mx/

Servo Motor Upgrade Kit
    Get the speed you desire before mid-year with a servo motor upgrade. Servo motors on the table (X-, Y-) and Z-axes increase throughput by providing higher accelerations and faster rapids.
    Targeted Availability: April 2019
    Price: $1995

$2k for 3 axes worth of servos and drives sounds pretty reasonable to me. Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    $2k for 3 axes worth of servos and drives sounds pretty reasonable to me. Is it?
    In my opinion it is. We will likely go that route with this machine soon.

WW

If it improves the smoothness of things (I notice faceting on arcs on my 1100) I could see a benefit there, but in most cases aren't your cutting speeds going to be more limited by the 10k spindle and limited rigidity than anything else? $2k isn't outrageously expensive, but if it's mostly for bragging rights....

If the servos have absolute position sensors, then you may be able to recover from crashes/overloads without having to re-establish your reference.
    Other than that, it seems like the servos are mostly about the rapids being faster, thus spending less time not cutting. That will certainly feel better for someone standing there and looking at it. Is a good feeling worth $2k? Might be!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    If the servos have absolute position sensors, then you may be able to recover from crashes/overloads without having to re-establish your reference.
    Other than that, it seems like the servos are mostly about the rapids being faster, thus spending less time not cutting. That will certainly feel better for someone standing there and looking at it. Is a good feeling worth $2k? Might be!
    Every once in a while I check simulated times to machine a part using SprutCAM, which defaults to 500 ipm rapid speeds instead of the actual speed (120 ipm?). The difference in estimated total job time between 500 ipm and 120 ipm is usually not enough for me to be concerned. I'm manually changing tools and usually running 10 parts on less on a job, though. Watching the Tormach rapids sure seems like a lot slower at times, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Every once in a while I check simulated times to machine a part using SprutCAM, which defaults to 500 ipm rapid speeds instead of the actual speed (120 ipm?). The difference in estimated total job time between 500 ipm and 120 ipm is usually not enough for me to be concerned. I'm manually changing tools and usually running 10 parts on less on a job, though. Watching the Tormach rapids sure seems like a lot slower at times, though.
    Yes, I find there is minimal difference in SprutCAM times and actual times even when running multiple tools with a 30min run time using ATCs. I think the biggest time savings will be tool change time.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th