584,800 active members*
4,423 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam University??

Mastercam University??

Hi guys!
    I have a couple of questions about Mastercam U.
    I have 25 years of Machining background, CNC, Manual, tinkering here & there with Fusion360, FeatureCam, and of course manual programming at the machine.

I've noticed that ALOT of potential employers use Mastercam as their go-to software, so I'd like to learn it.
    so,,,,,,
    How are the online Mastercam U courses? Will I get a basic understanding of the software?
    Also, I see that the 2D and 3D Mill courses are exactly the same price ($250 each), would it be wiser to start with the 2D, or jump in with the 3D?

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks -Russ.

Re: Mastercam University??

I think you're the target audience for their courses, and those of caminstructor and the other independent ones. They go through how to use the software and what the buttons do pretty well.

The problem, or where they are lacking, is that they dont help you understand why. That's why I think veteran machinists are what those courses are best for.

I took the Mastercam courses back at X5 when I transferred from another CAM brand and it helped speed the transition.

I just get too many Johnny Rockets coming in the door that take these courses and think they dont need to learn machining first. They believe learning to program teaches them machining.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mastercam U? Just try Youtube. EVERYTHING about MC is on youtube.

Not everything is on youtube . there is a lot but how do you know if you are being shown correctly as I see a lot of bad things being shown or stuff not shown.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

The ones being shown wrong are usually from MC reps. I have busted them on this

I agree with cadcam. You might be watching a video that shows you how to do something on mastercam but that person might be heading you into bad habits. We have had a couple people in my shop do the Mastercam Univerisity and it did well for them. It headed them in the right direction and they learn from on the job experience. It could not hurt.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by CadCamSam View Post
    The ones being shown wrong are usually from MC reps. I have busted them on this
    So you think the dealers are showing bad habits. I would like see what you call them on.
    I am sure there are a few that do not know as well as they should but most are long time users. not everyone can be a power user like us.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .