584,808 active members*
5,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Buying NEW VFD for 2.2KW Spindle (OLD VFD died)
Page 3 of 5 12345

Re: Buying NEW VFD for 2.2KW Spindle (OLD VFD died)

Quote Originally Posted by cduncan64 View Post
    Didn't realize how expensive enclosures could be.
    Saw this steel tool cabinet at a store nearby.
    Its 28" x 28" x 12" for $80.00 Not very dustproof since there are no seals, but that's an easy fix.

Thanks,
    Charles
    Yes you should use a Power Filter on the input side of the VFD it needs to be rated for the same size as the supply Circuit more is better

The VFD should never be turned off, the Main Power should not be in the EStop Circuit, only the control or fault Circuit is used in the EStop Circuit, if you cut power to a VFD and the Spindle is running you usually smoke the Drive or the Spindle this only applies to these high speed spindles

The cabinet looks ok but you will have to add a Back Plane this is done by adding some standoff's and attaching the Back Plane to the standoff's, ( Aluminum Plate )You could leave the shelf as you could separate the power supplies and VFD from the low voltage electronics

The door could pose a problem as they need to be fastened some how so the can't be opened easily, a fan should keep most of the dust out
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes you should use a Power Filter on the input side of the VFD it needs to be rated for the same size as the supply Circuit more is better

The VFD should never be turned off, the Main Power should not be in the EStop Circuit, only the control or fault Circuit is used in the EStop Circuit, if you cut power to a VFD and the Spindle is running you usually smoke the Drive or the Spindle this only applies to these high speed spindles

The cabinet looks ok but you will have to add a Back Plane this is done by adding some standoff's and attaching the Back Plane to the standoff's, ( Aluminum Plate )You could leave the shelf as you could separate the power supplies and VFD from the low voltage electronics

The door could pose a problem as they need to be fastened some how so the can't be opened easily, a fan should keep most of the dust out
    What is the purpose of the backplane?
    It's not electrically isolated from the cabinet, is it?
    again, thanks.
    Charles

What is the purpose of the backplane?
    It's not electrically isolated from the cabinet, is it?
    again, thanks.
    Charles
    Back Plane is what you mount everything on all electrical cabinets have a Back Plane of some kind, the Back Plane is not painted for better Grounding the Back Plane is Grounded with the main input power supply Ground and then the Box and Doors are Grounded to the Back Plane
    Mactec54

Ok, this morning my VFD died. YL600-2s-2k20 for 2.2KW spindle. This was bought from a company that said it was able to use 110V. No smoke, no pop, just the slow winding down of the spindle. The display on the VFD had something on it (CN????) but before I could read it, the display went off. Powering off/on did nothing. Connections look good. Power is there. One tiny LED D12 is on, that is all.

I've had the VFD for about two years.

So, that brings me to now. I'm looking at some VFDs on Amazon and am looking at 220v models such as:(VFD 220V 3.0KW 4hp Variable Frequency Drive CNC VFD Motor Drive Inverter Converter for Spindle Motor Speed Control HUANYANG HY-Series(3KW, 220V))

or should I step up to the 4.0KW 5.5 HP?

Any suggestions?
    If you have a similar setup, I'd like to hear from you as well.
    Thanks!
    Charles
    Five HP is better,

Quote Originally Posted by atocom View Post
    Five HP is better,
    Not for a 2.2Kw Spindle
    Mactec54

mactec54 or anyone else,

Is there a wiring diagram for wiring the power inside an enclosure?
    I'd like to see what other people have come up with.
    Thanks

mactec54 or anyone else,

Is there a wiring diagram for wiring the power inside an enclosure?
    I'd like to see what other people have come up with.
    Thanks
    Ericks has a good example has a lot more in his cabinet than you will need but will give you an idea, if you go through his whole electrical cabinet build

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-c...nc-cad-25.html
    Mactec54

ericks Guest

That is true....i have a lot of junk in there

ericks Guest

Why do you want to use such a big enclosure/box?

Greets,

What type of wire can I use to connect the din rail terminals to my circuit breakers? Stranded or solid? Type?

Also, the other things that need power (PC, Monitor, Smoothstepper power supply (wall-wart), Stepper Motor Power Supply, Flood Pump, Vacuum, Lights) should they all be brought in and powered within the box?

If so, maybe I should install a second circuit breaker (using the other half of the 220v) that way I can balance things out better? Like, two separate 4 gang outlets.

Thanks, Charles.

ericks Guest

I always use fine stranded cable (control cable)....in control panels

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    I always use fine stranded cable (control cable)....in control panels
    Hello ericks,

I do appreciate the reply. I should have been more detailed in my question. I need a vendor or source located in the US. If possible a website or a manufacturer's part number.

Also, how's is your CNC coming along? The last post I saw was some test cuts.

Thanks again.

ericks Guest

Hello ericks,

I do appreciate the reply. I should have been more detailed in my question. I need a vendor or source located in the US. If possible a website or a manufacturer's part number.

Thanks again.
    No worries i am sure someone that side will give you good advise on a supplier. My cnc is great thanks for asking.....been busy working on router control panels/testing so i have not had much time to make parts on it. The pendant is also still in the box

ericks Guest

Check out my build thread.....i just cut out a 20 mm steel disc

Hello ericks,

Thanks again.
    Depending on what you need, IGUS Chainflex is a very good supply for shielded and unshielded cable, and McMaster Carr also have some very good cable to use there are many suppliers I use both of theses suppliers
    Mactec54

I am setting up my vfd and spindle using the same components in this thread, 3kw VFD and 2.2 KW spindle. With an input of 220V single phase 25-30 amps how do you connect 10ga wire to the ridiculously small R and T terminals on this drive? Where do you find wire lugs small enough to fit the small terminals but will still work for 10ga wire.

I'll check in the morn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickpt View Post
    I am setting up my vfd and spindle using the same components in this thread, 3kw VFD and 2.2 KW spindle. With an input of 220V single phase 25-30 amps how do you connect 10ga wire to the ridiculously small R and T terminals on this drive? Where do you find wire lugs small enough to fit the small terminals but will still work for 10ga wire.
    There are other suppliers also https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-Ring...sAAOSwiYlaJkSB
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Those are just like the ones I have, too big to fit the tiny terminals. I will keep searching they have to be out there somewhere.
    Hard to believe those tiny M3 screw terminals can handle 30 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickpt View Post
    Those are just like the ones I have, too big to fit the tiny terminals. I will keep searching they have to be out there somewhere.
    Hard to believe those tiny M3 screw terminals can handle 30 amps.
    The small size usually comes in the kits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crimp Fittings-1.PNG  
    Mactec54

Page 3 of 5 12345