584,798 active members*
4,151 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Buying NEW VFD for 2.2KW Spindle (OLD VFD died)
Page 4 of 5 2345
    ericks Guest

Re: Buying NEW VFD for 2.2KW Spindle (OLD VFD died)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickpt View Post
    Those are just like the ones I have, too big to fit the tiny terminals. I will keep searching they have to be out there somewhere.
    Hard to believe those tiny M3 screw terminals can handle 30 amps.
    You should use spade connectors...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rs1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The small size usually comes in the kits
    Thanks I think I finnaly found some on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Hilitchi-Insulated-Terminals-Electrical-Connectors/dp/B01D8CS6XY/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_ =ox_sc_act_image_2&smid=AYI27JSX7SHMW

This should be all you need

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 220v 400Hz Water Cooled

PD000=0 ( 0 For Parameter unlock ) ( 1 For Locked )

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Remote Terminal Control 1-2 jumper connection )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=190

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=102

PD010=15

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )

PD13= 08 (is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings )

PD014=8 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit)

PD015=8 ( Deceleration Adjust to suit)
    ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD023=0 ( Forward Run Only )

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency up to 10 Max for these Spindle motors)

PD120=120 ( Stall Prevention )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) 3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum RPM Setting )

PD174= ??? ( To Be Set to the VFD Drives Max Rated Output Current / Amps )
    Since I am using the same spindle and VFD as the OP (2.2Kw 220v 400Hz Water Cooled spindle and 3.0Kw VFD) I am assuming that this is the correct parameter list. I noticed that PD006 @190 and PD009 @ 102 appear to be much larger numbers than in previous posts from you over the years. Just wanted to make sure these weren't typos.
    Just a FYI that I purchased the spindle from Amazon at the Huanyang factory store and the ground pin was actually hooked up direct from the factory.
    Thanks for the help

I have my spindle and VFD operating using the parameters in the previous post. The one thing that is concerning is a high pitched warbling sound the spindle makes until the spindle warms up in about 15 minutes to a half hour. After that the noise goes away and it sounds normal. Sometimes I can make the noise go away if I stop the spindle then restart it. I have ran the spindle at varying speeds for a few hours to break the bearings in but once the spindle cools down the noise returns until the spindle warms up again.Is this something that will go away in time or should I exchange it.I have a few more weeks before the 30 day return period on Amazon. The link below is a short video of the noise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qyc5fqjsM9dn5bXW9

Since I am using the same spindle and VFD as the OP (2.2Kw 220v 400Hz Water Cooled spindle and 3.0Kw VFD) I am assuming that this is the correct parameter list. I noticed that PD006 @190 and PD009 @ 102 appear to be much larger numbers than in previous posts from you over the years. Just wanted to make sure these weren't typos.
    Just a FYI that I purchased the spindle from Amazon at the Huanyang factory store and the ground pin was actually hooked up direct from the factory.
    Thanks for the help
    Yes the different Parameters affect the spindle Torque, so only if you notice the spindle when cutting slow down, then we will look at a different profile, not all Parameters suit everyone's spindle
    Mactec54

I have my spindle and VFD operating using the parameters in the previous post. The one thing that is concerning is a high pitched warbling sound the spindle makes until the spindle warms up in about 15 minutes to a half hour. After that the noise goes away and it sounds normal. Sometimes I can make the noise go away if I stop the spindle then restart it. I have ran the spindle at varying speeds for a few hours to break the bearings in but once the spindle cools down the noise returns until the spindle warms up again.Is this something that will go away in time or should I exchange it.I have a few more weeks before the 30 day return period on Amazon. The link below is a short video of the noise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qyc5fqjsM9dn5bXW9
    Change these Parameters for your spindle

PD006=8

PD007=20

PD009=15

PD010=8
    Mactec54

Change these Parameters for your spindle

PD006=8

PD007=20

PD009=15

PD010=8
    I made the above changes and the spindle runs and cuts fine however the noise is still intermittently there. Yesterday the spindle was perfectly quite thru it's entire RPM range even when cold but today the noise returned and won't go away no matter how long I run it. I am debating ordering another spindle from Amazon to see if I have a bad spindle.

I made the above changes and the spindle runs and cuts fine however the noise is still intermittently there. Yesterday the spindle was perfectly quite thru it's entire RPM range even when cold but today the noise returned and won't go away no matter how long I run it. I am debating ordering another spindle from Amazon to see if I have a bad spindle.
    Is it possible that the problem is the VFD and not the spindle?

Is it possible that the problem is the VFD and not the spindle?
    It is a difficult one as some of the noise was from the VFD Drive ( Frequency ) and some was from the spindle Bearings how old is the spindle as you still should be able to get a replacement if it is new
    Mactec54

It is a difficult one as some of the noise was from the VFD Drive ( Frequency ) and some was from the spindle Bearings how old is the spindle as you still should be able to get a replacement if it is new
    Both the spindle and VFD are only 3 weeks old. I have about a week to return to Amazon without a problem. Which one would you replace first the spindle?

Both the spindle and VFD are only 3 weeks old. I have about a week to return to Amazon without a problem. Which one would you replace first the spindle?
    Yes the Spindle
    Mactec54

Yes the Spindle
    Received the replacement spindle today and it is much quieter however it is still making a strange noise. This link is a video of the noise at 12000 RPM. Does this sound normal? Any settings that could be tweaked?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FAe39PRnLq7S6PuF7

Received the replacement spindle today and it is much quieter however it is still making a strange noise. This link is a video of the noise at 12000 RPM. Does this sound normal? Any settings that could be tweaked?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FAe39PRnLq7S6PuF7

Are you using a EMI Rated Power Filter on the input power and is the Grounding for the spindle correct, Spindle 4th Pin to VFD Drive Shielding also Grounded at Both Ends, do you have a good 240v supply to the VFD Drive Power connected to R and T and Ground Terminals connected
    Try PD41=10
    Mactec54

Are you using a EMI Rated Power Filter on the input power and is the Grounding for the spindle correct, Spindle 4th Pin to VFD Drive Shielding also Grounded at Both Ends, do you have a good 240v supply to the VFD Drive Power connected to R and T and Ground Terminals connected
    Try PD41=10
    The only thing I don't have is the input power filter. I have a 14ga 4 wire shielded servo rated cable with the shield grounded at both ends.The 4th pin on the spindle is grounded to the case. I have a chassis ground from the Z slide back to the central star ground.The 240vac supply is wired as described above.The video was taken with the carrier frequency PD41 already set to 10.Changing PD41 to 10 didn't have much effect on the strange sound but it did make the spindle noticeable quieter.

The only thing I don't have is the input power filter. I have a 14ga 4 wire shielded servo rated cable with the shield grounded at both ends.The 4th pin on the spindle is grounded to the case. I have a chassis ground from the Z slide back to the central star ground.The 240vac supply is wired as described above.The video was taken with the carrier frequency PD41 already set to 10.Changing PD41 to 10 didn't have much effect on the strange sound but it did make the spindle noticeable quieter.
    Sound like the speed is changing, pulsing up and down. Does the frequency read out change?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Sound like the speed is changing, pulsing up and down. Does the frequency read out change?
    That's what it sounds like to me but the frequency, RPM and amps don't change.

That's what it sounds like to me but the frequency, RPM and amps don't change.
    I have a photo tach, works on light bouncing or reflected back from either a white mark or reflective tape on the target. I used it to calibrate my speed control pot I have mounted remotely
    on my CNC machine. I think I got it from Harbor Freight a few years ago. Its pretty accurate as I have checked it again a known RPM. Its possible your motor speed is varying and the read out is not
    showing it because its mechanical.

https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...ter-66632.html
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Try PD41=10
    Are the cheap $20 Amazon/EBAY power filters fine or do you need something better. Also since I am running a 2.2kw spindle on a 3kw vfd is a 20a filter fine or should I get a 30A. For some reason the 20A ones are more abundant and in stock on Amazon.

Are the cheap $20 Amazon/EBAY power filters fine or do you need something better. Also since I am running a 2.2kw spindle on a 3kw vfd is a 20a filter fine or should I get a 30A. For some reason the 20A ones are more abundant and in stock on Amazon.
    30A is closer to what you need make sure it is EMI Rated, just in your web browser type 30A EMI Power Filter and you will get many choices
    Mactec54

Any brands or places to buy. For some reason all the 30A models on Amazon and Ebay are shipped from China.

Page 4 of 5 2345