584,812 active members*
5,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Lot of experiments with genuine Huanyang VFDs

Lot of experiments with genuine Huanyang VFDs

I have been doing a lot of experiments on my Huanuang (Genuine) VFD. I now have three of these.
    1. 2.2 KW unit 220v input
    2. 2.2 KW unit 110v input
    3. 1.5Kw unit 110v input

The machines function identically, you just change parameters based on what motor or spindle you are controlling.
    Note that with the genuine Huanyang VFD you can control both 110 and 220 volt motors.

So all that said, the write up has been updated.
    https://www.kronosrobotics.com/hy02d223b-vfd-type-1
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Re: Lot of experiments with genuine Huanyang VFDs

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    I have been doing a lot of experiments on my Huanuang (Genuine) VFD. I now have three of these.
    1. 2.2 KW unit 220v input
    2. 2.2 KW unit 110v input
    3. 1.5Kw unit 110v input

The machines function identically, you just change parameters based on what motor or spindle you are controlling.
    Note that with the genuine Huanyang VFD you can control both 110 and 220 volt motors.

So all that said, the write up has been updated.
    https://www.kronosrobotics.com/hy02d223b-vfd-type-1
    Nice write up except for some electrical code violations , which I would not advise anyone to wire a VFD Drive and Spindle like this

For 120v this input wiring is correct but for 240v it is not to Code, the VFD Drive Output Wiring is also not to Code in either case

Wires must be the correct color White Neutral wire can never be used for 240v single phase unless it is covered at each end with Black or Red

If the spindle has a four pin interface, solder the three wires to pins 1,2, and 3.
    If the spindle has a 3 three pin interface, solder the three wires to each of the pins.

If your spindle has 4 pins, ignore pin 4 as it is spindle ground and wont be used.
    No one in NA or any other country other than China, should be ignoring the 4th Pin this is for Ground and a 4 wire shielded cable must be used in your case from the VFD Drive U V W + G to the Spindle Plug Pin 1-2-3-4G

The 3 pin connectors also must be changed for a 4 pin connector so a correct Ground can be connected through the plug and to the Spindle Motor, the best thing is to never buy a Spindle that has a 3 Pin Plug these are for China only

This is a major Safety Problem not using a Ground Wire for these 3 Phase Spindle motors and a Code Violation
    Mactec54

Sorry, but I am just being practical. I have done it both ways. And with all the experimenting I do, the long (and code way) would take me twice as long and cost me twice as much. If these VFD hookups were going to be permanent, I would probably do it a little different. Most DIYers just are not going to do that. Home shops have even more.

Most folks will do what they need to , with what they got. I'm sure every single house in NA has code violations.

I will however, put a comment in the write-up, that this is how I do it, and that they should lookup their electrical codes for their municipality. I will lay odds that not a single one does.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Sorry, but I am just being practical. I have done it both ways. And with all the experimenting I do, the long (and code way) would take me twice as long and cost me twice as much. If these VFD hookups were going to be permanent, I would probably do it a little different. Most DIYers just are not going to do that. Home shops have even more.

Most folks will do what they need to , with what they got. I'm sure every single house in NA has code violations.

I will however, put a comment in the write-up, that this is how I do it, and that they should lookup their electrical codes for their municipality. I will lay odds that not a single one does.
    Most on the Zone that use these spindles and VFD Drives wire them correctly and to code, showing and saying it is ok to do it like this is very irresponsible

What you do nobody cares, it's what you show that needs to be correct so others can follow by example and wire to code and not have any safety concerns
    Mactec54

Ok, lets agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Nice write up except for some electrical code violations , which I would not advise anyone to wire a VFD Drive and Spindle like this

the best thing is to never buy a Spindle that has a 3 Pin Plug these are for China only

This is a major Safety Problem not using a Ground Wire for these 3 Phase Spindle motors and a Code Violation
    but seeing as you spend half your time defending Chinese spindles, why bother defending western codes?

which you normally can't be bothered to specify the code anyways?

and most everyone on this forum knows 4 pin spindles don't have the 4th pin connected to anything anyways, might as well buy shielded cables and connect it to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    but seeing as you spend half your time defending Chinese spindles, why bother defending western codes?

which you normally can't be bothered to specify the code anyways?

and most everyone on this forum knows 4 pin spindles don't have the 4th pin connected to anything anyways, might as well buy shielded cables and connect it to nothing.
    Show me once that I have defended a Chinese Spindle they are what they are Quality is what you get for a cheap Spindle like this, the only good thing is how they have transformed the Hobby router business nothing more

Has nothing to do with western codes, the same codes apply the world over Green /Yellow known as PE or Ground / Earth no matter what country you live in, it can't be used as a Power / Live Supply Cable just the same as a Neutral can't, you don't have to know any codes, this is a very basic wiring practice that anyone doing a video about wiring should know this

It's very easy to connect the 4th pin on these Chinese Spindles if it is not connected, which most know about and do correct so they have a good Ground connection

It's videos like this that confuse new users into thinking it's Ok to do wiring like this when it is not, and is a Safety Problem for the user
    Mactec54

Code and unsafe operation. White should never be used at a Hot wire unless its marked Black or Red or some other color other than white / grey / green. Motor must be grounded in some way, assuming since the motor is mounted in a metal holder and that holder is grounded via the frame is incorrect. The fault current would need to pass either through the Z mount bearings or shielding on the correct VFD shielded cable.
    Mac and I disagree on the method of grounding as I use the ground wire in the VFD cable grounded to the spindle mount, he prefers to see it on the 4 th pin, either way the motor is ground per NEC.
    Going without a ground if not only foolish but dangerous. Yes I am a retired master electrician with a license.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

I thought all of the Chinese spindles were 2 poles. In your write up you say 4 poles for the 220v version.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickpt View Post
    I thought all of the Chinese spindles were 2 poles. In your write up you say 4 poles for the 220v version.
    They do make some 4Pole but most are lower RPM if they are 4Pole and 24,000RPM then you need a 800Hz VFD Drive and the Huanyang VFD he is talking about only go up to 400Hz so can only run a 2Pole Spindle Motor at 24,000 RPM
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Code and unsafe operation. White should never be used at a Hot wire unless its marked Black or Red or some other color other than white / grey / green. Motor must be grounded in some way, assuming since the motor is mounted in a metal holder and that holder is grounded via the frame is incorrect. The fault current would need to pass either through the Z mount bearings or shielding on the correct VFD shielded cable.
    Mac and I disagree on the method of grounding as I use the ground wire in the VFD cable grounded to the spindle mount, he prefers to see it on the 4 th pin, either way the motor is ground per NEC.
    Going without a ground if not only foolish but dangerous. Yes I am a retired master electrician with a license.
    GC in NA and deal with inspections on a monthly bases. I see electricians now use 2 wire cable(+ground) regularly for 220 lines, as long as white is taped at panel and connection passes with no problems.
    Using the forth pin for ground is connected to spindle case and see absolutely no difference using the spindle mount.

Correct Dan, as long as it marked. In fact I have a Mini Split HP 230 volt running on wiring marked so.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Quote Originally Posted by Dan911 View Post
    GC in NA and deal with inspections on a monthly bases. I see electricians now use 2 wire cable(+ground) regularly for 220 lines, as long as white is taped at panel and connection passes with no problems.
    Yes that is how it is done and what we have been posting, using the correct cable for the job is easier

Using the forth pin for ground is connected to spindle case and see absolutely no difference using the spindle mount.
    This would not pass code as there needs to be a fiscal Ground wire, not matter how you connect it, there are no exceptions, you can not get a very good Ground / Earth connection going through bearings
    Mactec54

What code?????? Please provide a link.

I've done the 4 pin mod to my 4kw spindle, I tapped a screw on spindle cover same as pics found with a search, you will find mine also. Like I posted I do not see a difference if I used my spindle mount that clamps around half my spindle.

This is certainly a option for the DIY hobbyist that's uncomfortable taking there new spindle apart and not having a ground at all.

What code?????? Please provide a link.

I've done the 4 pin mod to my 4kw spindle, I tapped a screw on spindle cover same as pics found with a search, you will find mine also. Like I posted I do not see a difference if I used my spindle mount that clamps around half my spindle.

This is certainly a option for the DIY hobbyist that's uncomfortable taking there new spindle apart and not having a ground at all.
    You are not making it very clear how or what you are doing, if you are attaching the Ground wire to the mount then that is fine, you have a Ground wire, the only problem that can affect some that do this is noise from the unshielded wire

This discussion was about someone that posted a Video saying it is Ok to not have or use a Ground wire at all
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You are not making it very clear how or what you are doing, if you are attaching the Ground wire to the mount then that is fine, you have a Ground wire, the only problem that can affect some that do this is noise from the unshielded wire

This discussion was about someone that posted a Video saying it is Ok to not have or use a Ground wire at all
    Sorry about that, yes what you described above is what I meant and why confused with your first response .

msimpson99...sorry for the hijack, Great Job and your thread will certainly help many.

Dan